Peaky Blinders

AndyBM

Some chracters sounded scouse whilst others sounded more cockney.

Maybe this is me just being dumb, but uh, is that not because some of the characters were scouse or cockney?

It was a reasonably good first episode, blighted by an utterly terrible soundtrack. Please dump that shit asap

Our lesser neighbours received a mention, their forum is probably busy talking all about...that we weren't.

Its written by a nose (according to Rob) and set in Small Heath so that bit was inevitable

Correct. Heard him interviewed on WM by Adrian Goldberg and he admitted the shame.

Typical that a knuckledragger would shoehorn them in somehow. Weren't they still called small heath alliance back then?

Or just "words removed"?

Our lesser neighbours received a mention, their forum is probably busy talking all about...that we weren't.

Its written by a nose (according to Rob) and set in Small Heath so that bit was inevitable

Correct. Heard him interviewed on WM by Adrian Goldberg and he admitted the shame.

Typical that a knuckledragger would shoehorn them in somehow. Weren't they still called small heath alliance back then?

Or just "words removed"?

I think they were just Birmingham by then. It had to mention them at some point considering it's based in Small Heath.

Personally didn't mind the accents to much. But the sister under the canal bridge with the commie went absurdly Scouse.

All in all I thought it was a solid first episode, looking forward to next week.

They were Small Heath Alliance from 1875 - 1905, Birmingham FC from 1905 to 1943 and have been Birmingham City FC since then.    Aston wasn't incorporated into the city of Birmingham until 1911 and just by reading sources it seems that some people on the board of Small Heath Alliance wanted their name changed to Birmingham before Aston was officially made a part of the city (which is something that had been on the cards for years before it finally happened) 

The brummie accent remains a mystery to me.   I'm from Warwickshire but I've worked in Birmingham for almost 12 years and while people at home think I sound like a Brummie I still can't do a decent accent if I try.  I can hear differences in the accent though, someone from Kingstanding or Great Barr sounds different to somebody from Acocks Green for example. 

Edited by The_Rev

I managed to miss it despite looking forward to it for ages. On the accents, do they sound anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXk5vWB8JSI

This is how inaccurate people sound when trying to take the piss out of a Brummie accent. 

its good that brummies have been acknowledged, especially considering for years the bbc has always seen london, manchester and liverpool to have the hard knock gangs, with us being unseen, although i dont know if that is a good or bad thing?

also, the intro song to that video, i had downloaded it on my old pc but forgot all about it, does anyone know the name of it?

thanks

Yow Brumm-eyes all sownd the sayme to me.

The only things I can imitate in a Birmingham accent are obscenities shouted at Villa games. I couldn't tell the difference between any of the local accents like yamyam (whatever that is) or Brummy etc. People from Redditch sound Brummy to me.

They're sounding the H in everything. In brummie or black country you don't sound any H. Admittedly I wasn't around in 1919.

Ask mooney

(Ignoring dig) Forty-one years in Yorkshire have destroyed any familiarity with true Brummie that I may once have had. 

The thing is;

Brummies don't make up words, yam yams do.

if you hear Wor, Cor, Shor, Woe, Ay it, Arr, you're listening to a yam yam.

Brummies have an upward inflection on the end of sentences and the first sound of a sentence sounds the same tone/pitch as the last syllable in the sentence - which is why I always get called an Australian when abroad, or in Portsmouth :lol:

Brummies are also a little bit monotonous. 

Â