Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Genuinely didn't see that result happening. I always thought France would somehow find a way to win the game.

Hats off to South Africa, what a display of power, pace and a will to win.

One of the best games of rugby I've ever watched.

• Like 1

That was an amazing weekend of rugby, two really top class matches, and two entertaining matches, all of them going down to the wire.

Hard to see anything other than a NZ SA final, but those teams will have been battered getting through their QFs and maybe an upset is on the cards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Hard to see anything other than a NZ SA final, but those teams will have been battered getting through their QFs and maybe an upset is on the cards.

I'm not a huge rugby fan, but surely a week between games negates NZ and SA's quarters being physically tough? If they played on Wednesday or something then it's relevant (although England had to put an awful lot into today)

Either way, those two at 75% should still beat England and Argentina. The gap between the top 4 and the rest is pretty sizeable

Edited by StewieGriffin

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I'm not a huge rugby fan, but surely a week between games negates NZ and SA's quarters being physically tough? If they played on Wednesday or something then it's relevant (although England had to put an awful lot into today)

Either way, those two at 75% should still beat England and Argentina. The gap between the top 4 and the rest is pretty sizeable

Most likely you're right, yes, but RWC knockouts have a habit of producing an upset. But yeah sensible prediction is NZ batter Argentina and SA batter us, at a canter.

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Nah, it was the correct decision at the time. 

It certainly wasn't with hindsight. 10 minutes to go against SA, they should have shown more belief, the way SA did by calling for a srum instead of kicking it. Once they went ahead in that second half they just pulled the shutters down and France suddenly lacked belief. 

This lack of respect for referees is getting too much. The Irish, French and Fijian captains have all mentioned they didn't get the rub of the green from the ref when they lost their quarter final. That Fiji yellow was a clear red (imo), and Ireland benefited from two yellow cards. Look at yourselves not the referees. Compare that to the statement from the Fijian manager, it was pure class.

• Like 2

I think yesterday goes to show that being the hosts of a a major tournament doesn't always help. The french seemed to have bogged down in the massive expectation, especially after beating NZ in the group stage. Similar in the football euros in 2016 when France lost to Portugal in the final.

Â