Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

Disappointing way to end it and feel the penalty for the decisive kick went the wrong way. 

However everyone thought we'd lose by a huge margin today so they did very well. 

Can't see SA beating the ABs.

1 minute ago, JB said:

But as I said before, the winning penalty could just as easily have been given to us. Crazy that that has decided such a massive game. 

It should have gone to us but the way the last few scrums had gone there's only one way the ref would see it.  Have to play the ref as much as the game.

Someone just made the comment regarding our performance, "basic but brilliant," as true as that may be, basic will only get you so far, it's time for the rugby big- wigs to appoint a coach who can getting us playing rugby that excites. We have been playing the same way for 30 years. 

• Like 2

I'm not a huge Rugby fan but have watched a lot cos my eldest lad used to play and my father-in-law will always have it on. 

One thing I think needs looking into is the penalties. Great, a bloke can whack a ball 50 metres over the posts but I think it ruins the game.

I think you should only be allowed to kick a penalty at the posts if it is within the opposition 22. 

It would be like in football, winning a free kick just inside your own half, the 'keeper ain't allowed to try and save it and people just punting goals in every time there is a foul. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

It should have gone to us but the way the last few scrums had gone there's only one way the ref would see it.  Have to play the ref as much as the game.

Of course but that’s kind of my point - the ref shouldn’t be making such huge decisions based on his general feeling about which way the wind’s blowing.

That said, I’ve only seen one quick replay so reserve the right to be wrong. 

1 minute ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'm not a huge Rugby fan but have watched a lot cos my eldest lad used to play and my father-in-law will always have it on. 

One thing I think needs looking into is the penalties. Great, a bloke can whack a ball 50 metres over the posts but I think it ruins the game.

I think you should only be allowed to kick a penalty at the posts if it is within the opposition 22. 

It would be like in football, winning a free kick just inside your own half, the 'keeper ain't allowed to try and save it and people just punting goals in every time there is a foul. 

I think the pro's make it look easy to be fair mate. It aint. Amazing kicking tonight

England should look closely at the last few phases, they looked decent with the ball in hand. What could have been..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

The whole point of rugby football is actually kicking the ball through the posts. Originally it was the only way to get points, and a try was called a try because if you achieved one you had a try at getting points by kicking at the posts. There is also a lot of skill kicking at goal, as rugby balls are harder to kick than a football. Removing the threat of losing three points will just increase the amount of penalties given away and kill any flow of the game. It does seem alien when compared to football.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

The whole point of rugby football is actually kicking the ball through the posts. Originally it was the only way to get points, and a try was called a try because if you achieved one you had a try at getting points by kicking at the posts. There is also a lot of skill kicking at goal, as rugby balls are harder to kick than a football. Removing the threat of losing three points will just increase the amount of penalties given away and kill any flow of the game. It does seem alien when compared to football.

South Africa have always been masters at the kicking game, although their just as legendary scrum won it for them tonight 

18 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Someone just made the comment regarding our performance, "basic but brilliant," as true as that may be, basic will only get you so far, it's time for the rugby big- wigs to appoint a coach who can getting us playing rugby that excites. We have been playing the same way for 30 years. 

This is where the ABs excel, their basics are virtually flawless, but they add excitement to their game. The single biggest difference to all other nations is that they aim to run through gaps rather than players. I think this is because they don't player age grade rugby as children but by weight categories, so they never learn to just plough through a smaller player, but go round them.

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

South Africa have always been masters at the kicking game, although their just as legendary scrum won it for them tonight 

Playing at altitude in SA encourages the kicking game, but they are also a massive team, I think it's their Dutch heritage.

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I don’t think we did. Yes we were the better team for a good part of the game in terms of controlling it and getting them ruffled up, but we never looked like scoring a try once. Late in the game they get close to our line for the first time  and get the try. We had our chance to put the game to bed with a bit more positive play. Once we let them into it that was it, we folded under pressure. We had no answer to their scrums and you can only play bad and win if you’re a great team which they are. We can hold our heads up , but we just weren’t good enough. 

In the really important moments of the game we lost the momentum, that's what great sides do, never relinquish their self - belief. 

Gutted to lose it like that but we played a much better game that anyone expected, and a hell of a lot better than in the final last time out. It was so obvious what was going to happen when SA had the scrum in the last few minutes...

I think we should have been a bit braver in the 1st half when we were clearly on top. 

The pen right in front of the posts, we should have gone for a try. I get we wanted to keep the scoreboard ticking over but South Africa at that point were ragged and we never put clear daylight between us and them. 

I thought we'd get hammered and considering how poor results have been recently, it was a spirited effort.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I'm not a big fan of that either.  Also at the other end of the spectrum, England kicked a penalty from about 6 yards out early on.  That and so many scrums failing just make the whole thing a massive turn off for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Disappointing way to end it and feel the penalty for the decisive kick went the wrong way. 

However everyone thought we'd lose by a huge margin today so they did very well. 

Can't see SA beating the ABs.

Can't see ABs beating SA the way we've played last 2 games. We won in part because opposition errors up until last game 2nd half at least. Won't get away with way we started vs Pumas against SA. 

Â