Libor Kozák

samjp26

Baros actually wasn't that bad, he had some flashes in him. Scored a couple against the Blues and a winner against WBA with the shittest penalty I have ever seen.

Scored on his debut for us too.

Played a blinder too if memory serves. 

Really thought we had found a fantastic striker...shame it went downhill from there!

Whilst not great, Baros doesn't deserve quite as much stick as he's getting imo - though I must admit I thought he's strike rate of 14 goals in 51 games was better than that until I read Wikipedia. I can still remember how excited I was after his goal on his debut and to be fair 8 goals in 25 games isn't bad for his first season.

Edited by Pilchard

Baros' problem was that he was capable of more than he gave us. His attitude and his workrate were the problem and that's why history and the fans look back on him less kindly than they might. He underachieved.

• Like 2

Whilst not great, Baros doesn't deserve quite as much stick as he's getting imo - though I must admit I thought he's strike rate of 14 goals in 51 games was better than that until I read Wikipedia. I can still remember how excited I was after his goal on his debut and to be fair 8 goals in 25 games isn't bad for his first season.

8 in 25 is poor for a "top striker" less than a goal every 3 games.

true but that was a poorly performing team. that season was probably as bad as last season

Doesn't matter. Strikers often score disproportionately in poor sides. The likes of Odemwingie, le Fondre and countless other strikers bang in goals in poor sides. Even our own Benteke last season. It's the defence that usually makes a side poor. To try and make out that Baros' goal return was a reflection on everyone else and not on him is to rewrite history.

true but that was a poorly performing team. that season was probably as bad as last season

Doesn't matter. Strikers often score disproportionately in poor sides. The likes of Odemwingie, le Fondre and countless other strikers bang in goals in poor sides. Even our own Benteke last season. It's the defence that usually makes a side poor. To try and make out that Baros' goal return was a reflection on everyone else and not on him is to rewrite history.

I both agree and disagree. Benteke is a beast and you can't compare any striker to him. A bad defense doesn't necessarily mean a good attack. Baros needed chances to score, and before Carew, we did not have enough muscles upfront to hold the ball up for strikers like Baros. le Fondre often came in fresh and late in games when Reading was chasing a goal and created chances for him. Baros would have probably scored a few in those situations as well.

I both agree and disagree. Benteke is a beast and you can't compare any striker to him. A bad defense doesn't necessarily mean a good attack. Baros needed chances to score, and before Carew, we did not have enough muscles upfront to hold the ball up for strikers like Baros. le Fondre often came in fresh and late in games when Reading was chasing a goal and created chances for him. Baros would have probably scored a few in those situations as well.

In order to fully put my point across I'd need to go through the last 10 or 20 years of Premier League goalscorers to point out how many strikers in lower sides managed to score >10 per season. It's a lot. It probably affects my point that I only bothered to remember 3. I should've left the point as a general one. Villa were plenty good enough for Baros to score far more than he did.

I know we can't play it like that, we don't have the personnel. I was just making an example of how it can still work in the modern game.

My point being that it wasn't really a 4-4-2. The basic shape of the team hardly ever resembled as such.

Two wide midfielders, two strikers, two central mids. A flexible and fluid 4-4-2/4-2-2-2. Any formation can be labelled as something else throughout a game.

On Baros, I agree with those saying he wasn't as bad as I sometimes made out. Provided some decent memories.

Edited by adz.villa

In order to fully put my point across I'd need to go through the last 10 or 20 years of Premier League goalscorers to point out how many strikers in lower sides managed to score >10 per season. It's a lot. It probably affects my point that I only bothered to remember 3. I should've left the point as a general one. Villa were plenty good enough for Baros to score far more than he did.

Yes, he should have scored more goals. But there are plenty of strikers who have a better strike rate at top clubs than bottom half clubs and the other way around, for example Stan Collymore at Villa: 46 appearances, 7 goals. This when Villa was a lot better than when Baros was there.

To be fair to Baros, in his only full-season with us he finished our joint-top league scorer (alongside Luke Moore) on eight goals. It should probably also be pointed out that the 2005-06 season was almost on par with the McLeish season in terms of the football played and tactics employed. Not ideal conditions for any striker to succeed, let alone one who has just arrived for the first big-money move in his career.

Edit: Also, as others have said, nearly all the goals he scored were very important. The derby goals and that winner against Portsmouth spring to mind.

Edited by Isa

Yes, he should have scored more goals. But there are plenty of strikers who have a better strike rate at top clubs than bottom half clubs and the other way around, for example Stan Collymore at Villa: 46 appearances, 7 goals. This when Villa was a lot better than when Baros was there.

Harsh to compare Baros to Collymore. Collymore had the aforementioned strike-rate because he rarely turned up. The Steven Ireland of his time really. Baros on the other hand did try but it didn't really come off and as you state, Collymore came into a decent Villa team whilst Baros came when we were about to have one of our worst ever Premier League seasons.

Â