Libor Kozák

samjp26

What I like about Kozak is his first touch. He is a technical target man. A number of times he took a long ball and trapped it instantly. What he doesn't have which Benteke does is 1. an ability to create space for himself and shoot from long range, 2. ability to dribble/make surging runs with the ball and shoot. 3. lethal pace. He can hold the ball up and lay it off no problem but with him in the team we need our other attackers to step up their games, make more imaginative moves for him to find them, or we won't be the same kind of attacking threat.

So contrary to general opinion Kozak is not and cannot be a like for like replacement for Benteke. The apparent reason we got rid of Bent was due to his inability to play in our system yet we've spent 7m on a forward who, eh, can't really be effective in our system and purchased two other forwards who seemingly aren't ready to play in our system.

Not a bad way to spend a limited budget.

The hate Kozak is getting is ridiculous. As I mentioned numerous times, Kozak is not good enough to make his own chances. I knew when I saw our midfield, Kozak would likely not have a great game. He is not like Benteke. He cannot make his own chances. He is a striker that needs the players around him creating chances and he will score most of them.

But surely with his height and presence he should be able to win more headers than he does and hold the ball up. Also his first touch is atrocious.

Yes you expect him to be able to do the basics like control a football. Its easy to put the blame on the midfield who I think did ok today.

He miscontroled a ball maybe twice today. I was watching him closely against Hull and he really was not as bad as people are saying. He is not quick so counter attacks will not work with him. He is a big physical forward who thrives when crosses are delivered to him. He doesn't work with our wingers and we don't have a designated attacking mid in the squad.

His poor control at vital moments lead to two decent goal scoring opportunities going begging.

Contrary to popular opinion I thought our forwards received plenty of service against Hull. Gabby was the only player who did anything with it.

This lad must improve. I'm sure he will.

The hate Kozak is getting is ridiculous. As I mentioned numerous times, Kozak is not good enough to make his own chances. I knew when I saw our midfield, Kozak would likely not have a great game. He is not like Benteke. He cannot make his own chances. He is a striker that needs the players around him creating chances and he will score most of them. 

But surely with his height and presence he should be able to win more headers than he does and hold the ball up. Also his first touch is atrocious. 

Yes you expect him to be able to do the basics like control a football. Its easy to put the blame on the midfield who I think did ok today.

He miscontroled a ball maybe twice today. I was watching him closely against Hull and he really was not as bad as people are saying. He is not quick so counter attacks will not work with him. He is a big physical forward who thrives when crosses are delivered to him. He doesn't work with our wingers and we don't have a designated attacking mid in the squad.

Ok guess it was the area of the pitch that he did miscontrol that highlighted it more. He's going to need time to settle into our way of playing.

What I like about Kozak is his first touch. He is a technical target man. A number of times he took a long ball and trapped it instantly. What he doesn't have which Benteke does is 1. an ability to create space for himself and shoot from long range, 2. ability to dribble/make surging runs with the ball and shoot. 3. lethal pace. He can hold the ball up and lay it off no problem but with him in the team we need our other attackers to step up their games, make more imaginative moves for him to find them, or we won't be the same kind of attacking threat.

So contrary to general opinion Kozak is not and cannot be a like for like replacement for Benteke. The apparent reason we got rid of Bent was due to his inability to play in our system yet we've spent 7m on a forward who, eh, can't really be effective in our system and purchased two other forwards who seemingly aren't ready to play in our system.

Haha it's a good point to be fair.

Contrary to popular opinion I thought our forwards received plenty of service against Hull. Gabby was the only player who did anything with it.

We created one decent goal scoring chance.

• Like 1

What I like about Kozak is his first touch. He is a technical target man. A number of times he took a long ball and trapped it instantly. What he doesn't have which Benteke does is 1. an ability to create space for himself and shoot from long range, 2. ability to dribble/make surging runs with the ball and shoot. 3. lethal pace. He can hold the ball up and lay it off no problem but with him in the team we need our other attackers to step up their games, make more imaginative moves for him to find them, or we won't be the same kind of attacking threat.

Haha it's a good point to be fair.

We created one decent goal scoring chance.

Would have been 2 if Kozak had of controlled that ball from Agbonlahor in the first half.

Benteke for all his strengths has a habit of chesting the ball down around halfway facing the Villa end and over running it. One of these days that'll cause a problem, so mis-control isn't just unique to LK. I admit he needs to sharpen up, but I'm sure he will.

Yes you expect him to be able to do the basics like control a football. Its easy to put the blame on the midfield who I think did ok today.

His poor control at vital moments lead to two decent goal scoring opportunities going begging.

This lad must improve. I'm sure he will.

If you consider 'service' to be lumping it down the middle then you have a point, however that's not really service at all, good crosses into the box is what most mean by 'service'. When you have a big lad like Kozak up top, someone who also happens to be pretty decent in the air, we really ought to be, well, crossing the ball into the box more often.

Forwards need balls to attack. Balls hoofed from the back usually allow defenders to attack the ball whereas a cross into the box or a corner allows the striker to get a run at the ball, hopefully at the back's expense.

• Like 2

Signed for £4.5 million. Already thrown in & got the winner & 3 points for us at Norwich, contributed against Man City. I'd say stick with him-What else are you going to get for under £5mil?

Balls were not "hoofed" up to him BTW. Guzan may have gone long at times but with the exception of Clark, our defenders played it out. Given the problems Clark had last season & the criticism he got for not dealing with situations, I'd say he could be forgiven for his safety first attitude at this point in time.

Kozak had absolutely nothing to work with yesterday. THe service was disgraceful. There's not a great deal you can do with 100 thumped 80 yard passes when a defender is all over you. We haven't seen what Kozak can do yet because he hasn't had a chance.

Watch Kozak play for Czech. He has playmakers such as Rosicky, Plasil, and Darida behind him. Kozak has only started 2 matches for Czech and has 2 goals to show for it. He is a much different player when he gets quality service. 

• Like 2

Signed for £4.5 million. Already thrown in & got the winner & 3 points for us at Norwich, contributed against Man City. I'd say stick with him-What else are you going to get for under £5mil?

Balls were not "hoofed" up to him BTW. Guzan may have gone long at times but with the exception of Clark, our defenders played it out. Given the problems Clark had last season & the criticism he got for not dealing with situations, I'd say he could be forgiven for his safety first attitude at this point in time.

I thought he cost £7 million

I thought he cost £7 million

I'm fairly certain it was 4.5. HairyHands said as much. The thing is that once the papers get 7 million in their heads there's no going back. No journalistic glory in saying "oh, actually it was only four and a half."

• Like 1

Â