Arsenal

Ghost

Impressed by how well that club is run.

Yeah and no.  

They do well in regards to maintain a top four presence whilst maintaining a healthy bottom line for the shareholders.  Their stability left them in a great place after the upheaval around the other top clubs this summer (and don't forget how quickly everyone got very shouty and pointy after the 1st game of the season) - I remain to be convinced that they'll be in the mix come the end of the season, but I'll eat a healthy slice of apple pie should they take the title.

I saw Sir Alan Sugar do a "documentary" (prior to a new series of the apprentice starting) on the BBC a couple of years ago - covering the topic of football clubs struggling due to finances and other money related woes (I'll leave the irony of the former owner of sky-box-making amstrad complaining about football selling out for another time).  One of his "solutions" to football clubs being financially insecure was to follow "Arsenal's model".  Which I can only presume was to move to North London, sell your old ground for housing developments for millions, build a 60k all seater stadium and charge a grand a pop for a season ticket.

Somehow I can't see that model helping someone like Plymouth.

• Like 2

I hope they win the title. They're the most likable of the top 6 by far IMO. Also still have a bit of a soft spot for them after they beat Wigan.

for me in likeability in top 6 its

Arsenal

Spurs

Everton

Man Utd

City

Chelsea

I find Wenger hard to like tbh. While Fergie was at United they were my preferred side out of the top 6 and I had no problem with them winning leagues regardless of their plastic fanbase. Now though, I suppose Arsenal are the least objectionable of the 6 but that's really hard to admit to. If only no-one could win the league this season :(

I find Wenger hard to like tbh. While Fergie was at United they were my preferred side out of the top 6 and I had no problem with them winning leagues regardless of their plastic fanbase. Now though, I suppose Arsenal are the least objectionable of the 6 but that's really hard to admit to. If only no-one could win the league this season :(

I guess you haven't brought into the title chase thread in the VT section ;-)

Bought.

Grammar-Nazi-1613.png

Bought.Grammar-Nazi-1613.png

Bless. Go have a wank now.

Funnily enough as the years have gone on and all the stick he has got from the Arsenal fans wanting rid of him. he's grown on me! Didn't used to mind United but now hate them. Hate City in particular and Chelsea. Guess because they were clubs no bigger than us and they have bought success rather than earned it.

Wouldn't surprise me if this were to be Wenger's last season tbh. Last year of his contract, his main adversary over the years in Fergie has gone and he bought big in the summer which is unlike him.

I wouldn't be surprised if arsenal came in for Benteke in January. The team they have is very good but they don't really have backup for Giroud upfront (unless you want to count bendtnar). They have money to spend and should be buying from a position of strength. However, should they keep up form and progress in champs league they will need someone who isn't cup tied. Which would make the beast a perfect option.

Edited by mikeyp102

Wouldn't surprise me if this were to be Wenger's last season tbh. Last year of his contract, his main adversary over the years in Fergie has gone and he bought big in the summer which is unlike him.

I disagree. Arsenal are currently in the best position they've been in for years. The teams around them are unsettled, or in decline. Arsene is a clever chap, he saw an opportunity to make a statement and did it. I think he will give it a few more seasons to try and win the league and the CL.

An expected good start to their season given their favourable fixture list (below) but over the course of the season their failings will become clear. They are poor at the back with poor CB's and GK and have a terrible choice of Strikers.
Plenty of really good midfielders but if they get top 4 they'll have done well. Badly need to spend in January. As for being title contenders, no chance.

Arsenal 2-0 Napoli
Swansea 1-2 Arsenal
West Brom 1-1 Arsenal (LC)
Arsenal 3-1 Stoke
Marseille 1-2 Arsenal
Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham
Arsenal 2-0 Fenerbahce
Fulham 1-3 Arsenal
Fenerbahce 0-3 Arsenal
Arsenal 1-3 Aston Villa

I wouldn't be surprised if arsenal came in for Benteke in January. The team they have is very good but they don't really have backup for Giroud upfront (unless you want to count bendtnar). They have money to spend and should be buying from a position of strength. However, should they keep up form and progress in champs league they will need someone who isn't cup tied. Which would make the beast a perfect option.

We have no reason to sell him in January now though do we. They can offer what they like!  He wont go anywhere unless we are offered stupid money like 50 mil.

An expected good start to their season given their favourable fixture list (below) but over the course of the season their failings will become clear. They are poor at the back with poor CB's and GK and have a terrible choice of Strikers.

Plenty of really good midfielders but if they get top 4 they'll have done well. Badly need to spend in January. As for being title contenders, no chance.

Arsenal 2-0 Napoli

Swansea 1-2 Arsenal

West Brom 1-1 Arsenal (LC)

Arsenal 3-1 Stoke

Marseille 1-2 Arsenal

Sunderland 1-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 1-0 Tottenham

Arsenal 2-0 Fenerbahce

Fulham 1-3 Arsenal

Fenerbahce 0-3 Arsenal

Arsenal 1-3 Aston Villa

Limited choice of strikers although the one they have playing now is pretty good. They have a few players to come back from injury. Their midfield is just about the best in the league. Ozil and Ramsey is a totally different player this season. if only he was English! Defence isn't bad. Whether the squad is good enough to win the league I don't know. They probably need to invest in a striker in January but they wont get Benteke unless they offer stupid money.

Â