Manchester United

BOF

Some of the footage of the rain coming in at various points of old Trafford yesterday is pretty incredible.

More worryingly I saw a clip of what some were claiming is the away dressing room where it seems to be pissing in through dropped ceiling panels.

How on earth have they let the ground deteriorate to that level is beyond me but once water starts getting into the building you’ve got major problems. Building a new ground could take them 5 years from this point and you’d think the league will have something to say about spectators getting pissed on, water coming into dressing rooms and god knows where else. Is the ground even safe anymore?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't agree with this. They don't concede more shots per 90 than anyone bar Sheff Utd because of 'bad apples', it's because they're set up horrifically. 

What do you mean by that specifically? What I see mainly is a huge lack of effort and bad attitudes which explains why they get battered every week (combined with a lot of key injuries although I don’t see that making a massive difference).

Yesterday was a great example. 

The match day squad for the last few games has been easily the worst in my lifetime.

40 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Some of the footage of the rain coming in at various points of old Trafford yesterday is pretty incredible.

More worryingly I saw a clip of what some were claiming is the away dressing room where it seems to be pissing in through dropped ceiling panels.

How on earth have they let the ground deteriorate to that level is beyond me but once water starts getting into the building you’ve got major problems. Building a new ground could take them 5 years from this point and you’d think the league will have something to say about spectators getting pissed on, water coming into dressing rooms and god knows where else. Is the ground even safe anymore?

International embarrassment as those pictures will be shared everywhere. 
I wonder if Sir Jim is having regrets?

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

How on earth have they let the ground deteriorate to that level is beyond me 

Too busy servicing the £700m debt that the Glazer's loaded on to the business to have money to do up the stadium. They've sucked every penny they can get out of that business. 

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Yeah I've seen three, the famous Old Trafford waterfall, the away changing rooms, but the most serious for me is this one

An absolute **** waterfall running down the steps that the public have to walk down without even a handrail, I'm amazed they're allowed to keep playing matches here, it's not safe at all

NSFW audio

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah I've seen three, the famous Old Trafford waterfall, the away changing rooms, but the most serious for me is this one

An absolute **** waterfall running down the steps that the public have to walk down without even a handrail, I'm amazed they're allowed to keep playing matches here, it's not safe at all

NSFW audio

Imagine if that water hits the electricity supply, it could be deadly in an instant. H&S should be shutting the stadium down.

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't agree with this. They don't concede more shots per 90 than anyone bar Sheff Utd because of 'bad apples', it's because they're set up horrifically. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Honest when Ive watched them I can't really see how they're set up, they've got no identity or patterns of play, absolutely nothing about them

How do man utd play football? I don't know...

Its like us under Gerrard 

Was having this exact conversation with a Man Utd fan I play football with, and he completely agreed. His summary was kind of “I’d be willing to give Ten Hag another season if we had a style of play and there were signs of improvement or you could see what he was doing… but there’s nothing”.

He’s been “over” the season for so long, you can tell he just doesn’t want to talk about it anymore :D  Even said that there’s some group he’s in where they’ve been having the same discussion about Man Utd for months on end - “it’s like **** Groundhog Day” :D 

I don't really understand how Ten Hag could have seen Casemiro playing at Centreback last week and decided that the best course of action was to play him there again against one of the best teams in the league

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

Ground share with Salford hopefully 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't really understand how Ten Hag could have seen Casemiro playing at Centreback last week and decided that the best course of action was to play him there again against one of the best teams in the league

I don't think they have much choice, I think all of their CB's are injured.

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

spectators getting pissed on, water coming into dressing rooms and god knows where else. Is the ground even safe anymore?

While it's being fixed, they could ground share with small heath. 

Oh wait... 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What do you mean by that specifically? What I see mainly is a huge lack of effort and bad attitudes which explains why they get battered every week (combined with a lot of key injuries although I don’t see that making a massive difference).

Yesterday was a great example. 

The match day squad for the last few games has been easily the worst in my lifetime.

What I mean is that their formation doesn't work, but the manager sticks with it *because it's how he wants them to play*. There are dozens of tactical analyses of their style of play, but I think this one is good and clear:

The TL,DR gist is that they press really high (which they are very good at) and defend very deep, which leaves their midfielders with masses of ground to cover, which would be a problem no matter who they had in midfield, but is especially a problem when their most common midfield consists of Casemiro (who can't run any more), Fernandes (who can't tackle) and then a 19-year-old Mainoo who is essentially the main person responsible for patrolling about 60 yards of empty space. He could change this, but note that he never actually does. 

If I ask who these 'bad apples' are, you're going to tell me it's Rashford, and the evidence for that is that he doesn't track back, which is largely true, and is a problem because it puts a lot of pressure on the left back and both their actual left backs have been injured all season. But he could also compensate for that in the system; he could play Amrabat (a predominantly left-sided defensive midfielder) more often, but he doesn't. But also regardless of that, Rashford has barely played for about six weeks and it's not like they're better. The defensive unit against Palace was Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro, Evans, Dalot (and Onana) behind Eriksen and Mainoo. Who are the 'bad apples' in that group? None of those players are notoriously lazy or problem characters, they're just players playing in a stupid system that doesn't work and can't do the role they're being asked to do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If I ask who these 'bad apples' are, you're going to tell me it's Rashford, and the evidence for that is that he doesn't track back, which is largely true, and is a problem because it puts a lot of pressure on the left back and both their actual left backs have been injured all season. But he could also compensate for that in the system; he could play Amrabat (a predominantly left-sided defensive midfielder) more often, but he doesn't. But also regardless of that, Rashford has barely played for about six weeks and it's not like they're better. The defensive unit against Palace was Wan-Bissaka, Casemiro, Evans, Dalot (and Onana) behind Eriksen and Mainoo. Who are the 'bad apples' in that group? None of those players are notoriously lazy or problem characters, they're just players playing in a stupid system that doesn't work and can't do the role they're being asked to do. 

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad apple in a certain role. When you have a few wrong’uns in the dressing room it drops the standards of everybody.

Rashfords body language, lack of effort, and occasional swipes on social media are appalling but they they keep picking him when fit. It’s completely wrong and sends the wrong message. 

Whilst AWB and Dalit might not look so disinterested they are probably not tearing up trees either if the dressing room is toxic. Look at Sancho, he lost interest very quickly and just couldn’t be arsed at United. Once dropped back into a proper squad with proper discipline he’s tearing it up again. 

Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Antony, Martial, all look like they have stinking attitudes and any decent manager / football director would have shipped at least some of them out by now. The fact they don’t just adds fuel to the fire behind the scenes. They even offered Pogba a last minute £200k/w contract even though he was shite on the pitch and a nightmare off it.

They have to prioritise getting harmony in the squad before adding players.

They just don’t learn.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Too busy servicing the £700m debt that the Glazer's loaded on to the business to have money to do up the stadium. They've sucked every penny they can get out of that business. 

I don't think that's entirely fair. They have spent a fortune on some pretty shoddy footballers as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad apple in a certain role. When you have a few wrong’uns in the dressing room it drops the standards of everybody.

Rashfords body language, lack of effort, and occasional swipes on social media are appalling but they they keep picking him when fit. It’s completely wrong and sends the wrong message. 

Whilst AWB and Dalit might not look so disinterested they are probably not tearing up trees either if the dressing room is toxic. Look at Sancho, he lost interest very quickly and just couldn’t be arsed at United. Once dropped back into a proper squad with proper discipline he’s tearing it up again. 

Rashford, Bruno, Casemiro, Antony, Martial, all look like they have stinking attitudes and any decent manager / football director would have shipped at least some of them out by now. The fact they don’t just adds fuel to the fire behind the scenes. They even offered Pogba a last minute £200k/w contract even though he was shite on the pitch and a nightmare off it.

They have to prioritise getting harmony in the squad before adding players.

They just don’t learn.

I think we probably aren't going to see this the same way. I think it's very very hard to tell what the dressing room is like or what players are like behind closed doors, but FWIW my impression is that Bruno in particular - while he may be a word removed on the pitch - is very professional and hard-working. Of those you've listed, I only really think Rashford (who I think also has other issues going on mentally) and Martial are actually players whose professionalism I would call into question. Probably Sancho too, but he's not even there. Antony seems like a clearing in the woods, but he appears to be committed. But as I say, that's all just impressions and guesswork. 

What we have clear hard evidence for is how the manager sets them up, and he does so incompetently, game after game after game, never fixing the obvious problems. 

19 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I don't think that's entirely fair. They have spent a fortune on some pretty shoddy footballers as well.

Their team is laughably bad compared to the money they've spent on it.

At least Chelsea look to have some talent and that they might be able to build something from it.

Ut just have a squad of mostly average footballers

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

None of that Glazer dollars though, it's all money the club makes itself.

Radcliffe is going to be in a world of pain with this. Solely responsible for the football side and will be targeted to get the stadium fixed, all while being a minority shareholder and having to give the glazers their pound of flesh/watch them drain the cash out of the club. It's like running a business for the Mafia 

Â