Manchester United

BOF

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not sure if Tem Hag is or isnt the man to fix them. The rot set in a long long time ago and arguably started with the Satan himself. He signed or kept older players and a new manager always needed a rebuild add this to a poor footballing CEO and a diva fanbase who expected to win every season

Perfect combination

Yep, Hag was supposed to helm the  reconstruction of Manchester United. But he's just continued to do what his predecessors did by signing old players on big wages and paying huge fees for overrated younger players. All while failing to control the dressing room and failing to get his team playing with purpose and identity.

It's still just a shell of a club and Hag is not looking up to the task of making it whole again. He was given leeway to build the team back up by developing their academy players and relying on shrewd scouting to bring young, hungry players in to adopt his system. 

It seems like the immediate pressure to win rattled him early on and destroyed any long term planning he may have wanted to implement when he took the job. 

Relegation would do them some good and give them the real opportunity to rebuild organically, and with new owners.

Edited by maqroll

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They just look a tired old team. Casemiro and Eriksen did good jobs in midfield last season but both in their 30s now so struggle to be athletic most weeks in a key area of the pitch. Ten Haag going back to Mount as a central midfielder is comical. 

Varane getting injury constantly and having to play Maguire and Evans. 

Looks like last season was Rashford's peak season and now he's reverted to type so they really don't have many scoring threats in final third.

They'll finish outside the top 6 I think. We're better, Newcastle are better and Brighton will still beat most bottom half teams to keep the points tally ticking over.

Be kind of funny if they qualify for the Conference League, end up playing in Astana or the Faroes or whatever. 

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They just look a tired old team. Casemiro and Eriksen did good jobs in midfield last season but both in their 30s now so struggle to be athletic most weeks in a key area of the pitch. Ten Haag going back to Mount as a central midfielder is comical. 

Varane getting injury constantly and having to play Maguire and Evans. 

Looks like last season was Rashford's peak season and now he's reverted to type so they really don't have many scoring threats in final third.

They'll finish outside the top 6 I think. We're better, Newcastle are better and Brighton will still beat most bottom half teams to keep the points tally ticking over.

You know Brighton have an excellent record against all of last seasons top 5 teams right? Probably the best out of the whole league. 

Just because we thumped them doesn’t all of a sudden mean they won’t beat the likes of Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle.

42 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

You know Brighton have an excellent record against all of last seasons top 5 teams right? Probably the best out of the whole league. 

Just because we thumped them doesn’t all of a sudden mean they won’t beat the likes of Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle.

They've already beaten Newcastle (and Man Utd).  They're a good side - better than Man Utd.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I hope so, but we need to be more consistent if we’re going to do that.

In performances or...?  Because our start has been very good.

From the same games last season (equiv. in the case of Burnley away), we had won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 - scoring 8 and conceding 10.  FWIW, our next game (Wolves (A)) was a 1-0 loss.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In performances or...?  Because our start has been very good.

From the same games last season (equiv. in the case of Burnley away), we had won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 - scoring 8 and conceding 10.  FWIW, our next game (Wolves (A)) was a 1-0 loss.

A couple of times this season we’ve been absolutely awful (Warsaw away, Everton at home). Eradicate those massive drop offs in performance and we should be good.

51 minutes ago, Genie said:

A couple of times this season we’ve been absolutely awful (Warsaw away, Everton at home). Eradicate those massive drop offs in performance and we should be good.

Neither were league games though - thought we were talking about finishing above Man Utd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like we can give them a proper spanking this year. And I reeeeeally reeeeally want to see Bruno's face all distraught at the final whistle after we've put 7 past them. 

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Not sure on Brighton this season. West Ham also did a very good job on them in the second game so think their record v top half might be a bit weaker this season than what they were achieving last year with the extra games they have (also losing to Chelsea in league cup).

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I hope so, but we need to be more consistent if we’re going to do that.

We've won 5 of our first 7. People are putting way too much stock in the Liverpool and Newcastle games. Man. United lost those two games by aggregate score of 9-0 last season and still finished comfortably in the top 4.

I actually think we currently have a similar feel to what Newcastle were doing 12 months ago. Decent start and then they really motored into top 4 during the winter months with good period of form so think we can replicate that.

Man. United are vulnerable all over the park so they'll struggle to win away games against teams above 14th in the league and already we've seen they're poorer at Old Trafford (think they only lost once at home last season).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We've won 5 of our first 7. People are putting way too much stock in the Liverpool and Newcastle games. Man. United lost those two games by aggregate score of 9-0 last season and still finished comfortably in the top 4.

I actually think we currently have a similar feel to what Newcastle were doing 12 months ago. Decent start and then they really motored into top 4 during the winter months with good period of form so think we can replicate that.

Man. United are vulnerable all over the park so they'll struggle to win away games against teams above 14th in the league and already we've seen they're poorer at Old Trafford (think they only lost once at home last season).

When we’ve been bad we’ve been awful, when we’ve been good we’ve been brilliant. This is what I mean about consistency. To finish above United we’ll need to be better on a bad day and still pick up points.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

When we’ve been bad we’ve been awful, when we’ve been good we’ve been brilliant. This is what I mean about consistency. To finish above United we’ll need to be better on a bad day and still pick up points.

Crystal Palace at home was a decent if not amazing performance. We won that game, Man. United didn't. They were also clinging on to beat Burnley away while bar a dodgy 10 minute spell at start of the second half we pretty much cruised that from start to finish and should've scored more than three goals.

As things stand Man. United are on course for another 21/22 season when they didn't even make 60 points. Of course they could just sack Ten Haag soon and next guy in could have a Solskjaer style 10 match winning run, those are simply the things you can't foresee in seasons.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I feel like we can give them a proper spanking this year. And I reeeeeally reeeeally want to see Bruno's face all distraught at the final whistle after we've put 7 past them. 

I would absolutely love it if we hammered them either at their crumbling stadium or at Fortress Villa Park!

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would absolutely love it if we hammered them either at their crumbling stadium or at Fortress Villa Park!

Nah that ending when we scored late on and then Fernandes skied that penalty towards Liverpool was one of the greatest endings I've ever seen from a football match involving us so will settle for a repeat.

Â