Manchester United

BOF

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Replay here

https://dubz.co/video/7d253d

It's bad. He wins the ball, and to an extent is a bit unlucky that his foot basically bounces off the ball. The studs into the shin still probably hurt, but if you watch the replay his studs basically glance off the shinpad.

I still think it's a red, because the whole reason these challenges are banned is that sometimes you do mistime, get unlucky, and people get seriously hurt, so even if he hasn't hit the player, it's an inherently dangerous tackle. The point I was making is the still image above gave (to me at least) the impression he's planted his studs in the opponents shin, and didn't quite tell the full story IMO

Still, there aren't really different degrees of how much of a red card it is so it's probably not worth splitting hairs :D 

Again though, as I’ve said before, the severity of the impact / injury should not dictate the decision. It’s either a red card challenge or not, irrespective of whether or not a player ends up in serious harm. 

It had literally all the hallmarks of a red card:

Off the ground / jumping in motion

Foot went over the top of the ball

Studs showing

Contact made

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Again though, as I’ve said before, the severity of the impact / injury should not dictate the decision. It’s either a red card challenge or not, irrespective of whether or not a player ends up in serious harm. 

It had literally all the hallmarks of a red card:

Off the ground / jumping in motion

Foot went over the top of the ball

Studs showing

Contact made

At no point have I said it wasn't a red card, in fact I've specifically said it was, several times. All I said was I don't think it was *as* bad as the still image made it look. If you don't agree, that's fine, but you're arguing a point I didn't make.

• Like 1

It's the jump that makes it bad IMO, not the studs.  Studs bouncing off a ball and into a players' leg if he had slid would be a really harsh red card... but he jumps, so there's a decent amount of force after the deflection off the ball.

Still images are shit though, yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if this happens, what a scummy club.

I think the general public "outrage," sponsor reaction, plus a few high-profile celebrity women reacting badly would stop them from bringing him back.  I remember something similar with a (I think, Sheffield Utd) player a few years back and they quickly reversed their decision after sponsor threats and media coverage.  

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if this happens, what a scummy club.

A PR piece in the Athletic today too with plenty of sympathetic voices from the club being heard. They would be insane to try bring him back though given the backlash involved.

He will end up having a career abroad and still make millions.

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

A PR piece in the Athletic today too with plenty of sympathetic voices from the club being heard. They would be insane to try bring him back though given the backlash involved.

I have a horrible feeling they will try 😕

5 minutes ago, wict01 said:

I have a horrible feeling they will try 😕

Of course they will, they are throwing feelers out now to test the reaction

It's an utterly disgraceful idea and United should be ashamed for thinking it

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I remember who you’re on about, it was Ched Evans I think. The difference is Sheff Utd are not Man Utd, easy to pull sponsorship from a team like them, Man Utd are probably the biggest football brand in the world, second only to Real Madrid.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

United have given Luke Shaw a 4 year contract. They could surely do much better. For most of his time at United they have been mediocre, and he has played a part in it. 

I have to agree, he’s reasonably ok but if they want to be competing with the best in Europe then he’s a level below what they should be looking at.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

United have given Luke Shaw a 4 year contract. They could surely do much better. For most of his time at United they have been mediocre, and he has played a part in it. 

Might be nothing to do with him playing for them in the future, it protects his value and now they can sell for pure FFP profit in the summer. 

Kind of like we tried to do with Hause's new contract but failed.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Might be nothing to do with him playing for them in the future, it protects his value and now they can sell for pure FFP profit in the summer. 

Kind of like we tried to do with Hause's new contract but failed.

He is 27 now and when the contract will be finished he will be over 30. He has been injury prone his entire career and has a tendency to put on weight with long spells out. Being at united he will no doubt be on massive wages as well.

55 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is 27 now and when the contract will be finished he will be over 30. He has been injury prone his entire career and has a tendency to put on weight with long spells out. Being at united he will no doubt be on massive wages as well.

I think the theory is he doesn’t see the contract out, they sign him up just so they can sell him for top dollar in the next year or so (rather than leave on a free). 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think the theory is he doesn’t see the contract out, they sign him up just so they can sell him for top dollar in the next year or so (rather than leave on a free). 

But Everton might get relegated and camt afford him 😜

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â