VillaGoMarching

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Just looked on the Spurs version of VT ("The Fighting Cock"), and they've got a new manager poll. By far the top 3 favourites are: Nagelsmann, Slot and Poch. :lol:

Do yourself a favour and look at the first couple of pages of the Harry Kane thread on there.

”The next Grant Holt” and “not good enough for Spurs, will end up at a team like Fulham or Villa” are two of my favourites.

• Haha 1

Spurs squad is so weird.

Looking at it on Wiki - they could do with a starting keeper, there's enough decent players at the back without greatness and a very good group of forwards - then you look at their midfield.

Our midfield is two simple groups; the more defensively minded - Kamara, Doug, Dendoncker - and the more offensively minded - McGinn, Ramsey, maybe Buendia and Coutinho.

Theirs is this group:

Skipp, Højbjerg, Perisic, Sarr, Bentancour, Bissouma - now it's one thing to talk about Perisic playing fullback, Bentancour's injury or Sarr being one for the future - but I think if you do that, you miss the absolute elephant in the room.

Ignoring Perisic who has mostly played at full back - they're all defensive midfielders - all of them - and they aren't bad, on form and fitness, Bentancour, Hojbjerg, Bissouma, Skipp and Sarr are a very good group - one that compares pretty well with our group of Kamara, Doug and Dendoncker.

Against the more progressive, attacking midfield group though, their set of [check notes] absolutely no-one at all, doesn't compare well with McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia and Coutinho - and it's the area that we've most been linked at strengthening. 

It's almost comically badly balanced - and for a team whose history is all about exactly the kind of players that they're missing.

They have Lo Celso out on loan I guess, but their squad needs three of these this summer just to be balanced. 

They're a mess of a club. Levy and Conte have absolutely shit the bed.

• Like 3

I've been watching a few of their podcasts for lols.

There are multiple titled like "Alonso is Levy's Choice" "Nagelsmann is Levy's Choice" e.t.c.

It's hilarious, Levy as it stands has no choice because thanks to Conte no decent manager wants to go there.

This is going to be the start of a rough period for Spurs...  No manager worth his salt is going to even consider going there after seeing how Levy has done Mourinho and Conte dirty.  Kane will be off this summer with Son probably right behind him, with a lot of that money being held back by Levy to continue to pay for the new stadium and balance the books after missing out on Europe for the first time in 13 seasons.  I'm predicting that they finish ~10th or 11th without Kane next season and Brendan Rodgers at the helm.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Considering none of them want europa conference league apparently why do their fans look so gutted?

A case of: be careful what you wish for..

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

No Europe for the first time in 13 years. Kane and Son are off for sure. Gonna be a fun summer for them haha 

Son will stay. He likes living in London and think he's one of those that prefers to be big fish type than squad player at other clubs. And I don't think he's as good as he was 2-3 years back when he was lethal on counter attacks so not just a case of selling Kane and moving him to CF anymore.

9 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Considering none of them want europa conference league apparently why do their fans look so gutted?

I can honestly see where they're coming from. No Europe gives Levy no room to spin. They're losing Kane and they need to rebuild, having less games in what they expect to be (at best) a transitional season isn't a bad thing.

I've no affinity for spurs but I also don't find some of the comments their fans made about them being "glad that Villa got Europe because their fans will enjoy it more" as in any way condescending. They're right - it means more to us, while they have an overhaul to focus on - assuming they can get someone competent to magar them.

They know they're in the shit - if (when) Kane leaves and get the next manager wrong, they'll be us under SG but with a newer stadium and a worse owner.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KMitch said:

This is going to be the start of a rough period for Spurs...  No manager worth his salt is going to even consider going there after seeing how Levy has done Mourinho and Conte dirty.  Kane will be off this summer with Son probably right behind him, with a lot of that money being held back by Levy to continue to pay for the new stadium and balance the books after missing out on Europe for the first time in 13 seasons.  I'm predicting that they finish ~10th or 11th without Kane next season and Brendan Rodgers at the helm.  

Summed up perfectly. Their golden period is over I think. Newcastle has already replaced them in the top 4, us and Brighton not far behind.

They have had 14 consecutive years in Europe and for a club like Spurs that is punching way above their weight. Traditionally no bigger than us, they are due a few tough years to give their moaning fans a sense of perspective of their natural position in the football hierarchy, high tec cheese room or not.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â