VillaGoMarching

Apart from Paulinho and Eriksen the new players haven't done much at all. Soldado has been nothing short of a total flop so far, Defoe showed today what movement gets you even though his finishing was slightly off he could have had a hat trick on another day.

He might have spent 100m but they got back about the same from the sale of Bale and other players.

Doesn't matter how much they got back, he's had the chance to revamp a whole team.

This is a team that finished 5th by a whisker last season. They've outspent every club bar man city this summer. You don't spend that kind of money and be happy to finish in the same position.

When you revamp the whole team it's not uncommon that it takes time for the team to gel and with many new to the Premier League it's no surprise that the individuals take time to find their feet as well.

Gareth Bale was so extremely good and the focus of all play, when he leave it's pretty much like starting from scratch in finding the team's way to play.

2 points behind 4th, 3 points behind 2nd - Spurs can still finish anywere in the upper half though. There are already positive signs and hopefully january transfer window will land a left back so that a back four can be balanced and settled for second part of the season.

You don't spend that kind of money and be happy to finish in the same position.

Why not? Perhaps that kind of investment was what's needed to remain fifth with the rise of both Arsenal and Liverpool,

We're after all competing with two clubs that can hoover up all the best players in the market as well.

Climbing further up the table is extremely difficult, although still achievable even this season for Spurs.

Made a profit, ok broke even more or less if you include agent fees. Incoming players on equal wages to those who left.

A squad revamped to keep Spurs competitive not only for this season but also the coming years.

Martin Jol and Juande Ramos both lost their jobs unhappy about the signings of the Director of Football,

in hindsight though there was a lot of quality in those players signed and Harry Redknapp reaped the benefits when Bale, Modric etc. blossom.

4th or a trophy and this season is a success, but we're not a club in position to pick that up every season. We'll manage it some seasons and lose out in others.

Just the way it is in competition with money doped clubs and giants that have two decades of champions league money behind them.

Laughable. Yes I am sure your board saw this as a chance to cement 5th.

Aim is 4th, but i hope no one loses their head if we should edge out of it.

We've only reinvested the money earned by losing our best players,

signed players to remain competitive with the teams around us.

If we had kept hold of our stars (Modric, Bale etc.) and still invested big,

or signed a world class player on top of the replacements we got.

Then I'd understand the pressure and demand to improve.

Fact of the matter is there's 5 clubs using more money than us overall, some by far.

and every time we do better than 6th we're doing well and overachieve.

Our board might demand 4th, but they are then being unrealistic if they don't back the management more.

Two issues I'd raise if I was the board, are to ask when signing so many players and spending big on a striker,

why did we go into the season with only one left back which has disrupted the team immensely after Rose got injured,

and why did we sign a striker that doesn't seem to fit neither the league nor the team.

Your manager chose to replace one player with a number of players. Regardless of money being break even, over £100 million has been spent. To accept that 5th is a good season is a lack of ambition. Its up to avb to improve the team, its still a business and targets go up each season regardless of personnel. A company wouldn't say OK so we've lost our best salesman, let's just settle for the same results this year. Playing a massive second fiddle to arsenal is a real kick in the teeth after being ahead of them for most of last season.

I've defended him but another heavy defeat today against top 4 contender. Few poor results over xmas and wouldn't shock me if he's sacked.

What's saved him this year is away form. 5 wins from 8 away yet only 3 wins at WHL from 8.

I think Spurs are a bit similar to us, lots of pace so like playing away more but struggle to break teams down at home. Although obviously a lot more technical quality there!

I think he needs to go to be honest and I think he will. They have spent a lot of money on quality players and regardless of who bought them he's completely incapable of getting them to play as a cohesive unit. In fact, it's quite an achievement getting that group of players to fail so spectacularly.

He's been found out I think. I doubt we'll see him manage in the UK again after this.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Â