VillaGoMarching

I'll wait until Benteke is a consistent 20+ goal a season striker before saying he's better than Soldado.

Better is too definitive a word, he just has different qualities. The way Spurs set-up today didn't suit Soldado at all and would have really suited Benteke. 

Why did they not just pay the money for Benteke?

Imagine him in that team.

It makes me wonder just how much were we asking if they spent £26 million on a 28 year old yet to play in the prem player.

They've definitely got a better squad then last season. If arsenal don't sign anyone then I fully expect spurs to finish 4th.

Anything less would be shocking after spending that much.

Transfer fees and wages don't equal success, look at QPR last Jan just one of many examples
You could of picked a better example than QPR. What spurs have done and what QPR did are completely different.
No, I picked QPR because they spent a fortune on a collection of players in one window and most people thought, well done, you'll start rising up the league. But in reality it made very little change, in fact they probably got worse for the reasons as said above. If they don't gel or have other issues behind the scenes ( like disparity of wages, people becoming disruptive because they aren't getting a game etc).

Spurs have done the easy part and spent a fortune, can they make them work as a unit? Keep the entire squad happy? Time will tell, but as I said, just because they've blown a huge wedge doesn't mean they'll be better off.

QPR didn't spend a fortune. They signed a load of players but a lot of frees and loans. In terms of showing that it doesn't bring instant success yes that's right. But the players that QPR signed and the players that spurs have signed are totally different. I think avb has over dobe it with his signings. Not sure why people are writing them off after today though. Its early days.

Sounds like a lot of people almost wish that Spurs bought Benteke.

Yeah, the 36,000 Spurs fan that go to WHL  :P

As for people "over reacting", I don't think anyone has stated anything over the top. They were poor today, and they haven't been fantastic in their last two games either (not counting Dinamo Tbilisi, Villa would probably beat them too). And considering a lot of people have been tipping them for the Title or at least to challenge for it, I don't think it's harsh to say that judged on recent games, that currently seems a bit off. I think they will challenge for top 4, after we beat Arsenal, I'd have said they were nailed on for 4th, but Liverpool have been very difficult to beat so far and our win v Arsenal seems to be a blip for them. They haven't scored from open play yet, and with the midfielders they have and their £26m striker, that's pretty poor, and they seem somewhat toothless without Bale. When the gel, they'll get that bite back in attack, but they're currently paying the price for signing too many players at once. And that price isn't huge as they've still won 2 of their first 3.

TBH .. Spurs has a lot of qualities .. but most of them are in the same area ..

Loads of playmakers and midfielders .. Anyone of them could be on low confidence as he know he's not a first choice where he was in his old team .. I'm not only saying first choice .. some of them might be even 3rd or 4th choice ! While they could make a first choice in a lot of top teams in Europe not only England ..

They could go either way .. Either up or down .. It will depend in their performances and results and ofcourse their confidence .. The confidence which ruined us in the middle of last season ! 

I'm not saying they'll be out of top 6 .. But they could very well be in a competetion to make the 5th or 6th spot !

with Liverpool's new expenditure, have spurs really spent that much more than them?

At the moment Spurs has more or less zero net spent with wage budget at stand still.

Could easily spend another 40-50m on deadline day if the ambition is there.

Sounds like a lot of people almost wish that Spurs bought Benteke.

Don't think any Villa fan would want that,

but I do get the impression that many are a bit offended that Spurs weren't willing to pay his valuation when it became clear the money were there to spend.

In hindsight we don't even know if Spurs were in for Benteke, from what's made public the picture points more towards agent play to get an improved contract.

So far this season there's no doubt that it looks like a mistake not to sign Benteke, we're not producing the chances Soldado need so far - Benteke makes things happen by himself

maybe the bale deal wasnt all that certain that early in the window hence not wanting to spend that much money on benteke. we should be happy they didnt.

id rather put my money on liverpool this season but its way to early to tell really

maybe the bale deal wasnt all that certain that early in the window hence not wanting to spend that much money on benteke. we should be happy they didnt.

id rather put my money on liverpool this season but its way to early to tell really

I'm happy they didn't. But it wasn't early in the transfer window, plus the bale sale wouldn't of made a difference as spurs have said they already budgeted to spend the money regardless of selling bale. Didn't they sign soldado about a week after benteke withdrew his request.

Â