Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Birmingham Airport robbing bastards, before you could collect for free, then you had to pay £1 to use the short stay car park, now it's called "premium set down" and it's £2 minimum charge and goes up faster than the planes. They really are taking the piss.

There's a new one with a free half-hour stay about a 10 minute walk from the arrivals exit. Think it's car park 4. 

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Birmingham Airport robbing bastards, before you could collect for free, then you had to pay £1 to use the short stay car park, now it's called "premium set down" and it's £2 minimum charge and goes up faster than the planes. They really are taking the piss.

Other car parks at Birmingham are free for drop offs and pickups. it's been this way for ages although I think they've recently changed things around again.

There's a drop off car park that is free for half an hour. 5 minute walk from the terminal and a free bus. You could use that to pick up as well 

Use car park 1 for picking up. Think you get half an hour or an hour free there. It's the multi storey the other side of the "premium set down".

Your problem is probably that you're using the premium set down to pick passengers up. The reason that is so expensive and the tariffs go up so quickly is because that car park is absolute carnage when it's busy with people hanging around waiting for pickups and taxis battling for pick up points. So they're trying to dissuade people from using it to pick up as that's what causes all the problems.
If you use it as it's now intended, to literally drop people off right next to the terminal, then it's £2 as you shouldn't need more than 10 minutes.

Edited by Stevo985

Got proper fleeced, didn't know about the free option. She got held up in security so I was parked up about 25 mins and it cost £25!!! 

Its still a piss take though, they are calling it "premium set down" just to justify crazy pricing. There is nothing premium about it, just a car park?

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

Got proper fleeced, didn't know about the free option. She got held up in security so I was parked up about 25 mins and it cost £25!!! 

Its still a piss take though, they are calling it "premium set down" just to justify crazy pricing. There is nothing premium about it, just a car park?

Why were you hanging around after she went inside?  If, for some reason, she failed to get through security you could just turn around and go back for her.  But yeah it's more the rate at which the price goes up, rather than the 'premium' £2 that leaves a bad taste.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The thing which offended me the most about that story was the term "Premium set down".  I don't agree with it, but I understand them using the word premium to try and justify the price rise, but which utter cretin decided to needlessly rename 'drop off' to 'set down'.  This over elaboration of the english language and invention of w*nky terms for the sake it it makes my blood boil!

52 minutes ago, BOF said:

Why were you hanging around after she went inside?  If, for some reason, she failed to get through security you could just turn around and go back for her.  But yeah it's more the rate at which the price goes up, rather than the 'premium' £2 that leaves a bad taste.

I was picking up, she text me to say she was at the luggage claim so I headed into the car park but she then got held up at security so I was using their premium facilities for 25 minutes. 

(She was not held up personally, there was some issue which stopped them processing people for a short while).

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

I was picking up, she text me to say she was at the luggage claim so I headed into the car park but she then got held up at security so I was using their premium facilities for 25 minutes. 

Ahh, oopsie.  Yeah that's a bummer.

• Like 1

The extra annoyance is, she was away on business and her employer were being funny about her getting a taxi back. They wanted her to use an off site car park so I said I'd pick her up to save her messing about, would be have been cheaper for me to have just paid for a taxi for her. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It's premium because it's next to the terminal.

The reason it cost you so much is because you used a car park intended to literally drop people off and leave, to wait around for half an hour and pick someone up. It sucks, but the clue is in the name. The only thing they need to justify is it costing £2 vs £0.
Even before it's current iteration it was the "drop and go" car park. It wasn't intended for pickups.

It's the exact reason it's so highly priced, because they're trying to stop people using that car park to pick up. If it was more reasonably priced it wouldn't work.

I used to regularly use the airport car parks from 5-6pm every day (the free buses to JLR parked there) and I can tell you that drop and go car park was insane at peak times. it used to cause queues that backed out to the A45. So I completely understand why they're moving pick up traffic away from there.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

People who work 5 days a week and cannot afford a house of their own. I honestly believe anyone that works full time is entitled to be able to afford to own their own house and also be able to afford to live and be able to still do things. The debt that gets put on genuine people is disgusting.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Other car parks at Birmingham are free for drop offs and pickups. it's been this way for ages although I think they've recently changed things around again.

There's a drop off car park that is free for half an hour. 5 minute walk from the terminal and a free bus. You could use that to pick up as well 

Use car park 1 for picking up. Think you get half an hour or an hour free there. It's the multi storey the other side of the "premium set down".

Your problem is probably that you're using the premium set down to pick passengers up. The reason that is so expensive and the tariffs go up so quickly is because that car park is absolute carnage when it's busy with people hanging around waiting for pickups and taxis battling for pick up points. So they're trying to dissuade people from using it to pick up as that's what causes all the problems.
If you use it as it's now intended, to literally drop people off right next to the terminal, then it's £2 as you shouldn't need more than 10 minutes.

I agree with pretty much all of this, I just didn't realise they had made changes to the strategy on site. I guess if a regular visitor you notice these things, my last few holidays have been out of East Mids.

I do still believe they are taking the piss with their pricing strategy, if it's a genuine stop and drop then why have parking spaces at all? Back about 5,6 years back you could take road right outside the terminal chuck out the occupants and their cases then on you go. It worked fine (until some nutter drove into that airport in Scotland). BHX must have been raking it in for years with all the cars and taxis paying minimum £1 a time to drop off and pick up. Even in the premium car park there's still lots of taxis going through, it's an enormous money spinner and strikes me as a bit greedy. I guess for those that know the free parking spots are good news but they can't be that convenient if Taxis are still opting to pay the charge.

Im just grumpy and bitter having paid £25 for something I could have go for £0 -£5 max if I was paying a bit more attention :D

Edited by Genie

3 hours ago, Genie said:

The extra annoyance is, she was away on business and her employer were being funny about her getting a taxi back. They wanted her to use an off site car park so I said I'd pick her up to save her messing about, would be have been cheaper for me to have just paid for a taxi for her. 

Send the bill to her employer! 

They'll pay for a plane for her but not the taxi? Cheapskates

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

People who work 5 days a week and cannot afford a house of their own. I honestly believe anyone that works full time is entitled to be able to afford to own their own house and also be able to afford to live and be able to still do things. The debt that gets put on genuine people is disgusting.

Its a vicious circle of spending all your money on rent so that you can't afford to save for a deposit, when you know full well that a mortgage would be cheaper than the aforementioned rent. 

Just now, Xela said:

Its a vicious circle of spending all your money on rent so that you can't afford to save for a deposit, when you know full well that a mortgage would be cheaper than the aforementioned rent. 

It's immoral. Some people work their balls off and for what? A shitty brass watch  for when they retire. Debt is good for the world so they say. life is tiring sometimes and there never ever seems to be any good news. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was lucky and bought a repossessed property at auction to get on the property ladder. I paid £105,000 for my two storey flat in Wylde 10 years ago. Just had it valued at £198,000. Only needed redecorating, recarpeting and a new boiler when I moved in so I did well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

I was lucky and bought a repossessed property at auction to get on the property ladder. I paid £105,000 for my two storey flat in Wylde 10 years ago. Just had it valued at £198,000. Only needed redecorating, recarpeting and a new boiler when I moved in so I did well.

Two storey flat? How's that work as a flat. Either way that's the problem too, your flat has now double in price which is good for you, but bad for a first timer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Two storey flat? How's that work as a flat. Either way that's the problem too, your flat has now double in price which is good for you, but bad for a first timer.

Quite a few in Sutton... duplex flats. Usually in a three storey block, you'll have the second and third stories. Very nice.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's immoral. Some people work their balls off and for what? A shitty brass watch  for when they retire. Debt is good for the world so they say. life is tiring sometimes and there never ever seems to be any good news. 

Didn't you mention before that you could buy your house off the council for something like £30k or £40k? 

Â