Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Come on guys, don't just throw lazy shit at all travellers. Not cool.

One of my best mates is from the travelling community. He ticks lots of those lazy stereotype boxes, he moves around a few addresses, his two drives are a white tipper van and a great big new jaguar. He works **** hard on building sites, absolutely adores his family and has helped me out on numerous occasions. 

He's no more a scummy criminal thief than you lot. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is it shite.

they have a fake Warburtons Danish loaf, it curls in the toaster

their continental meats are generally as salty as hell

and those people that tell you the wines really good for the price couldn't tell a good wine from bad if they tried for 100 years

cleaning products and fresh veg are ok though. The steak is good for the price

I can tell you for a fact that it is.

Not everything obviously. Obviously lots of stuff will be unique to each supermarket.

But a lot of stuff is literally the same thing you would buy in M&S etc but in a different package. 

Edited by Stevo985

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can tell you for a fact that it is.

Not everything obviously. Obviously lots of stuff will be unique to each supermarket.

But a lot of stuff is literally the same thing you would buy in M&S etc but in a different package. 

Can confirm, they buy a majority of their meat from the same place as m&s who have the best standards of any of the major supermarkets.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Can confirm, they buy a majority of their meat from the same place as m&s who have the best standards of any of the major supermarkets.

Not surprised.

The other half buys confectionery for them so I know more about that than the rest of the store. But it's basically a huge part of Aldi's strategy across the board. Sell the same stuff but cheaper.

A bunch of her chocolate products use the same suppliers as M&S, Harrods, Fortnum and Mason etc. So most of the time it's either the same chocolate used in the product or, like I said above, literally the same product just in an Aldi box. And that's not unique to the confectionery department

• Like 1

You can't lump Aldi and Lidl together as if they were the same. 

In my experience: 

Meat - Aldi good, Lidl bad

Wine - Aldi good, Lidl bad

Bread - Aldi bad, Lidl good

And so on... 

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Come on guys, don't just throw lazy shit at all travellers. Not cool.

One of my best mates is from the travelling community. He ticks lots of those lazy stereotype boxes, he moves around a few addresses, his two drives are a white tipper van and a great big new jaguar. He works **** hard on building sites, absolutely adores his family and has helped me out on numerous occasions. 

He's no more a scummy criminal thief than you lot. 

There seems to have been a massive increase of 'travellers' in the south Birmingham area this year. Turning up at local parks, beauty spots and school playing fields, often breaking gates and cutting padlocks to get in. Then when they are moved on after a few days, they leave a huge amount of mess, which requires cleaning up. There are also reports of intimidating locals, breaking into cars/houses and general anti social behaviour. 

I agree, not all will be like that, your friend being one, but that is a local of peoples experiences of them around here at the moment. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

My flatmate took his Playstation to his friend's house, took my controllers without asking me, so now I can't play on my own PS4 with my own controller.

Wtf

Wtf indeed! I would truly lose my sh$t if anyone took my Xbox controller. Even when the kids use it to watch Netflix I remind them that the controller is more valuable than they are :D

You put ants in his bed or something similar so he never commits such a crime again. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

There seems to have been a massive increase of 'travellers' in the south Birmingham area this year. Turning up at local parks, beauty spots and school playing fields, often breaking gates and cutting padlocks to get in. Then when they are moved on after a few days, they leave a huge amount of mess, which requires cleaning up. There are also reports of intimidating locals, breaking into cars/houses and general anti social behaviour. 

I agree, not all will be like that, your friend being one, but that is a local of peoples experiences of them around here at the moment. 

The fact that most people have bad experiences with travellers just rocking up and ruining a nice part of an area is telling. There should be designated areas for them with the facilities they need and this should be paid for, in at least part, by the traveller community.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

They can have small heath or stoke. 

Going back to aldi/lidl. Lidl is surprisingly good, not great for everything like aldi is but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. They have better fresh bread/cakes than aldi, the dairy stuff is good and their chocolate/biscuits are fine too.

Lidl is decent, bakery is very good, tinned stuff is indistinguishable from the 'well known brands', the meat isn't particularly good though, in particular the pre-cooked stuff is **** awful. 

Also they have the worst self-service technology I've ever seen.

13 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

They can have small heath or stoke. 

Going back to aldi/lidl. Lidl is surprisingly good, not great for everything like aldi is but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. They have better fresh bread/cakes than aldi, the dairy stuff is good and their chocolate/biscuits are fine too.

I've bought bottled of milk from Lidl and on the back is an Aldi badge :lol:  

They're both fine.  Sometimes the veg isn't great from Lidl, it seems fresher from Tesco in my experience, and like others have said, you can't get everything you need sometimes, but you'll save money going there.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

you can't get everything you need sometimes, but you'll save money going there.

I like Aldi but I find this a huge pain in the arse. For the sake of saving £5-£10 on a weekly shop, I'm not sure I can be bothered going to two places.

^that's me pretending I do the food shop and not Mrs P.

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I like Aldi but I find this a huge pain in the arse. For the sake of saving £5-£10 on a weekly shop, I'm not sure I can be bothered going to two places.

Exactly this. Mind you, it's a First World Problem. My mum's shopping round in the early 60s (pre-supermarkets!) was a several-times-a-week trudge (we didn't have a car) around separate shops - butchers, bakers, grocers, greengrocers, etc. 

You tell kids of today that (etc., etc.)

• Like 1

I want to join in this conversation, but I've just realised a flaw in my plan.

I mix it up a bit because en route home I pass Waitrose and Aldi/Lidl so I shop at both. But I genuinely can't remember if it's a Lidl or an Aldi that I'm going in? Anyway, it's really good at the stuff it's really good at. Cartons of orange juice and apple juice taste great and are a fraction of the price of other shops. We also picked up a full size drum kit for £99 that turned out to be bloody excellent. Oh, and their Jaffa Cakes are world class. It's the one with a crazy aisle of cheap random stuff down the middle, pensioners slippers, greenhouses, thermal underwear and axes.

Anyway, yeah, Waitrose for veg, passata, vegetarian stuff, The Observer and perving at posh milf. Aldi / Lidl for the milk, orange juice, roof insulation and perving at chav girls.

Girl at the Aldi/Lidl till showed me her muff once. She was scanning my purchases through when her phone buzzed. For reasons I've often pondered she was keeping her phone tucked down the front of her knickers, so she just pulled the waist band of her trousers and knickers, had a quick look at the old Nokia, snapped it all shut, then carried on with the scanning. 

No tattoo, light skin, neat hair. I reckon I'd recognise her again.

• Like 4

I think I've mentioned before, my big reservation about Aldi in particular, is I find the actual shop quite depressing. Like how I imagine a Soviet Russian super market to be, or like Kwik Save used to be, when my Nan took me shopping in Erdington, when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I want to join in this conversation, but I've just realised a flaw in my plan.

I mix it up a bit because en route home I pass Waitrose and Aldi/Lidl so I shop at both. But I genuinely can't remember if it's a Lidl or an Aldi that I'm going in? Anyway, it's really good at the stuff it's really good at. Cartons of orange juice and apple juice taste great and are a fraction of the price of other shops. We also picked up a full size drum kit for £99 that turned out to be bloody excellent. Oh, and their Jaffa Cakes are world class. It's the one with a crazy aisle of cheap random stuff down the middle, pensioners slippers, greenhouses, thermal underwear and axes.

Anyway, yeah, Waitrose for veg, passata, vegetarian stuff, The Observer and perving at posh milf. Aldi / Lidl for the milk, orange juice, roof insulation and perving at chav girls.

Girl at the Aldi/Lidl till showed me her muff once. She was scanning my purchases through when her phone buzzed. For reasons I've often pondered she was keeping her phone tucked down the front of her knickers, so she just pulled the waist band of her trousers and knickers, had a quick look at the old Nokia, snapped it all shut, then carried on with the scanning. 

No tattoo, light skin, neat hair. I reckon I'd recognise her again.

First time I've ever heard it called a Nokia.....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paddywhack said:

^that's me pretending I do the food shop and not Mrs P.

Same. My weekly shop is about £25 from Sainsburys.  I don't think i would save enough going to Lidl or Aldi to make it worth my while driving an extra 10-15 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

I think I've mentioned before, my big reservation about Aldi in particular, is I find the actual shop quite depressing. Like how I imagine a Soviet Russian super market to be, or like Kwik Save used to be, when my Nan took me shopping in Erdington, when I was a kid. 

The Kwik Save in New Oscott is an Aldi now so the eastern bloc feel lives on!

• Like 2

Â