Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

There are no grammatical errors in this post at all, and I don't really understand why people are trying to pick holes in it.

I must say that I got my arse handed to me on that a while back by Peter and Mike when I complained about use of a comma before a conjunction.

If it's form then fair enough - I don't like it, though.

Here's something that's grammatically correct but I don't do it. I'm sure there's a term for it, but due to my shit schooling I don't know what it is. If you add a though or a too on to the end of a sentence, you should use a comma before, but when reciting in my head, it doesn't sound right to put a comma there, as there's no pause. It flows nicely and doesn't seem to need a comma to break it up before the addition of ,though or ,too.

Ah, I'd go with a comma there as it seems correct. I'm not a fan of equating having a pause with inserting a comma (or the opposite).

You are correct. Equating a comma with a pause is the only way I know where to put one.

Thats hardly a ringing endorsement :)

I'm sorry, Mr H, but if I want anyone in my corner fighting a case about etymology or the history of usage (which would necessarily require an almost anal interest in the detail of the subject) then Levi's the man. :)

If anal interest is the qualification, I think Rob is probably first choice, tbf.

• Like 2

Â