Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I know what Oxford Dictionaries say, but they just reflect changing usage. Even when it's crap, and plainly wrong.

Similar to, different from.

No need for "than" at all.

BTW, data are plural.

Edited by mjmooney

I accept that language changes. What I consider "correct" may not have been correct 100 years ago.

Nonetheless, I'm sticking with the way I was taught, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

• Like 1

True, I didn't consider that (data). I was never taught either way, but I prefer the sound of "none were", and, as it is perfectly acceptable, will continue to use it. Unless I am writing to a traditional grammarian.

As an aside, when discussing grammar/spelling/punctuation, I get extremely paranoid that I am breaking every rule ever codified!

I think the "data" example is a lost cause, and I can see a case for now treating it not as a plural Latin noun, but a singular English one. But it's nice to know the Latin derivation.

I did five years of Latin at school; hated it at the time, but I'm glad I did it now. It really helps in understanding English. 

I wish I had that schooling. I'm sure I would have detested it at the time, but what a solid basis for language learning it would have given me. I'm from a lost generation where grammar seemed to be, on the whole, ignored at school, and I still struggle with it to this day.

• Like 1

I wish I had that schooling. I'm sure I would have detested it at the time, but what a solid basis for language learning it would have given me. I'm from a lost generation where grammar seemed to be, on the whole, ignored at school, and I still struggle with it to this day.

Your posts, compared to many others on here, suggest otherwise Sir. :thumb:

• Like 1

I did five years of Latin at school; hated it at the time, but I'm glad I did it now. It really helps in understanding English. 

I'm thinking of taking it.

Advisable?

Hmmm. Dunno. If you enjoy language learning generally, maybe. Even better if you happen to be interested in the literature of the Classical era (not many people are these days). As an historian and a literature lover, I'd rather like to be able to read Pliny, Virgil, Caesar, Tacitus, etc. in the original. But my Latin is not up to it, and I'm not willing to commit the time at this stage of my life.

I'm thinking of taking it.

Advisable?

Hmmm. Dunno. If you enjoy language learning generally, maybe. Even better if you happen to be interested in the literature of the Classical era (not many people are these days). As an historian and a literature lover, I'd rather like to be able to read Pliny, Virgil, Caesar, Tacitus, etc. in the original. But my Latin is not up to it, and I'm not willing to commit the time at this stage of my life.

For me, it's not really about appreciating literature, it's about gaining a better understanding of English (and European languages), and it's also about gaining the ability to assess primary sources that are written in Latin yourself.

Well if there's a course on offer, you could try it. Most people seem to find the "dead language" aspect puts them off.

The "roots of English words" aspect I find fascinating, but it's hardly essential for modern life.

Your posts, compared to many others on here, suggest otherwise Sir. :thumb:

That is kind of you to say so.

I tried to return your thumbs up, but it doesn't seem to be available on the app (which is superb and I have rated in the Play store).

Oh, while typing this message, I think I figured it out: :thumb:

I accept that language changes. What I consider "correct" may not have been correct 100 years ago.

Nonetheless, I'm sticking with the way I was taught, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise.

The pieces are there, someone just needs to put them together!

Latin is interesting. I wanted to do it at GCSE but the teacher retired. It doesn't get taught outside private schools & Universities in this day and age.

Handy if you are interested in the Romance languages and how they developed, or if you are keen on Classics.

Hard?

Harder than, say, French?

"None" is a shortened form of "not one".

Not one of the of the footballers was able to score a goal yesterday.

Interesting. The other one reads right and yet isn't. Some would do well to be humble and actually learn something on here from time to time :)

Latin is interesting. I wanted to do it at GCSE but the teacher retired. It doesn't get taught outside private schools & Universities in this day and age.

Handy if you are interested in the Romance languages and how they developed, or if you are keen on Classics.

Hard?

Harder than, say, French?

I found it easier, but it is hard to say. If I had it my way, I'd want kids to have a year of studying Latin before studying French or Spanish. It gives you a basic understanding of how a language works, which is invaluable.

• Like 1

Thanks.

I ask because I took French for 3 years (well, 2 years, I didn't attend class much in my third year :lol: ) and I hated it - partly because I found it hard, and partly because I didn't see the point in learning it anyway.

Â