Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I wish I had that schooling. I'm sure I would have detested it at the time, but what a solid basis for language learning it would have given me. I'm from a lost generation where grammar seemed; on the whole; to be ignored at school and I still struggle with it to this day.

Comma splicing. Other than that; not a bad effort.

Where?
Fewer commas and where's the semi-colon love, eh? Under-used.

Maybe I could have used dashes there (or a parenthetical aside), but definitely not semi-colons. There are no comma splices either; the necessary coordinating conjunctions are present.

I wish I had that schooling. I'm sure I would have detested it at the time, but what a solid basis for language learning it would have given me. I'm from a lost generation where grammar seemed; on the whole; to be ignored at school and I still struggle with it to this day.

Where?

Maybe I could have used dashes there (or a parenthetical aside), but definitely not semi-colons. There are no comma splices either; the necessary coordinating conjunctions are present.

My edit above removed 3 of your commas. As for the word 'and' immediately after a comma. Something to be avoided unless impossible to do so.

Where?
My edit above removed 3 of your commas. As for the word 'and' immediately after a comma. Something to be avoided unless impossible to do so.

Not true: "I still struggle with it to this day" is an independent clause. When you join two independent clauses with a conjunction a comma is used.

Not true: "I still struggle with it to this day" is an independent clause. When you join two independent clauses with a conjunction a comma is used.

Yeah true but not with the word 'and' aswell, plus given what went before, that probably should be its own sentence. Anyhoo, this is fast becoming the (now pruned :() grammar thread :)

Where?

There is a place for the Oxford comma.

These items are available in black and white, red and yellow, and blue and green.

Yeah true but not with the word 'and' aswell, plus given what went before, that probably should be its own sentence. Anyhoo, this is fast becoming the (now pruned :() grammar thread :)

Haha very tedious for every other forum member. I will cease and desist :-)

In many ways Latin is easier than any modern language. The grammar in particular is very structured and logical.

As a kid, it annoyed me having to learn all the word endings. Here's second declension noun "dominus" (a master). (From which we get words like "dominate" and "dominant")

Posted Image

If you can get your head around all that, you're laughing (Lat: ridens, from which we get ridicule, etc.) :)

Posting from phone, so no link, but Google "Lingua Romana Perligata"

As I said. A place, but a very very limited place. Under normal circumstances it is mis-used. People use it in conjunction with a comma when both are doing the exact same job making it redundant and wrong. It's just another of those little things that many people don't actually realise.

Oh I dunno. I'm enjoying it :P

As I said. A place, but a very very limited place. Under normal circumstances it is mis-used. People use it in conjunction with a comma when both are doing the exact same job making it redundant and wrong. It's just another of those little things that many people don't actually realise.

Oh I dunno. I'm enjoying it :P
But I didn't use an Oxford comma! I wasn't listing anything. Just Google "comma before and". Edit: I quoted the wrong post. :wacko: Edited by stwefano

In many ways Latin is easier than any modern language. The grammar in particular is very structured and logical.

As a kid, it annoyed me having to learn all the word endings. Here's second declension noun "dominus" (a master). (From which we get words like "dominate" and "dominant")

latin.jpg

If you can get your head around all that, you're laughing (Lat: ridens, from which we get ridicule, etc.) :)

Madness.

I expect the Vatican IT department uses it, though. :)

CarewsEyebrowDesigner, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:CarewsEyebrowDesigner, on 12 Sept 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

Devil's advocate time. Language evolves. If people spell it 'ur' all the time, what difference does it make if it is understood in context?

Ur a boob.

Give me ur money.

good heavens !!

we might as well the go full retard and bastardise the language by replacing all the "S"'s with "Z"'s

and dropping the U from words  like Colour and flavour 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

latin.jpg

Madness.

I expect the Vatican IT department uses it, though. :)

Perl is probably the only programming language where you could have that (between the language, as programming languages go, being more flexible about its positional grammar; having the technical ability to do transformations that turn the language into something else (only the Lisp family gives you more power in that area); and having a user culture that likes doing things like that).

use Lingua::Romana::Perligata;
        maximum inquementum tum biguttam egresso scribe.
        meo maximo vestibulo perlegamentum da.
        da duo tum maximum conscribementa meis listis.
        dum listis decapitamentum damentum nexto
            fac sic
                nextum tum novumversum scribe egresso.
                lista sic hoc recidementum nextum cis vannementa da listis.
            cis.
is really just

print STDOUT 'maximum:';                  
        my $maxim = <STDIN>;                     
        my (@list) = (2..$maxim);
        while ($next = shift @list)             
            {
                print STDOUT $next, "\n";
                @list = grep {$_ % $next} @list; 
            }

Â