Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

After doing 45 hours overtime in 2 and a half weeks my team leader asked me why I haven't done any this week, I told her how much I had done and that I have been in work for the last 3 saturday's and have been doing 12 hour shifts and her response was ''well they have gave you overtime, if you dont do it then you cant complain if they take it off you''

Jesus **** christ what more do you **** want off me

It wouldn't be so bad but I have done literally twice as much as anyone else and think I deserve a few day's off from it, plus the majority of the team haven't done a scrap of overtime.

Done get me wrong I'm not doing it to help them out at all I'm doing it for the money but in the process I am helping them out so they could be a little more grateful and not expect me to literally **** live here.

The History Channel...

Show some actual history documentaries, not Storage Wars & Pawn stars all the **** time!!! :angry:

I like pawn stars

but agree other than that ... least it's moved on from being "The Hitler Channel " :) 

The way Americans say "Super" before everything. 

Super great

Super interesting

Super fast

Super expensive

Super shut the f**k up you stupid yanks  :angry:

I sat in the pub the other day when a loud American was talking with a girl (he presumably met on his travels). She was saying where she'd been and what she was doing. All he was replying with, very loudly was "That's insane, I love it!" or "That's awesome, I love it!" 

After the 5th time I started tallying it. He said it 24 times!

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

The way Americans say "Super" before everything. 

Super great

Super interesting

Super fast

Super expensive

Super shut the f**k up you stupid yanks  :angry:

It's happening over here as well. Everything is awesome and I've even heard 'super awesome'.

After doing 45 hours overtime in 2 and a half weeks my team leader asked me why I haven't done any this week, I told her how much I had done and that I have been in work for the last 3 saturday's and have been doing 12 hour shifts and her response was ''well they have gave you overtime, if you dont do it then you cant complain if they take it off you''

Jesus **** christ what more do you **** want off me

It wouldn't be so bad but I have done literally twice as much as anyone else and think I deserve a few day's off from it, plus the majority of the team haven't done a scrap of overtime.

Done get me wrong I'm not doing it to help them out at all I'm doing it for the money but in the process I am helping them out so they could be a little more grateful and not expect me to literally **** live here.

you have a hr department ?

Something wrong in the set up if your doing vast amounts of overtime ...

To be fair, we Brits have plenty of annoying speech tics. 

Like "to be fair", for example. 

To be fair we did invent the language...

You mean the Saxons from Denmark then?

The History Channel...

Show some actual history documentaries, not Storage Wars & Pawn stars all the **** time!!! :angry:

The History Channel is full of utter shit.

**** it.

• Like 2

To be fair, we Brits have plenty of annoying speech tics. 

Like "to be fair", for example. 

I thought that was only used on the interweb

I use it a lot on here , but I'm sure I don't' use it in real world tbf

"To be fair to the lad, ...."

a line bignose scouserpool defender Phil Thompson uses ad nauseum.

I'm pretty sure there are 'Murcans on the net saying the same things about us.

How we apologise all the time for example.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

"To be fair to the lad, ...."

a line bignose scouserpool defender Phil Thompson uses ad nauseum.

I'm pretty sure there are 'Murcans on the net saying the same things about us.

How we apologise all the time for example.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Sorry, maybe I should clarify my point.

1. "Can I help?" Walk into any store in England and you'll be greeted by this phrase. I find it annoying for two reasons: It's lazy. (The shopgirl can't even expend the energy to say "Can I help you?") And it's ridiculously disingenuous. England has no service culture so, no, she probably can't help.

2. "What are you on about?" Translation: What are you talking about? What do you mean? But it's only uttered by people too dumb to know what you're on about.

3. "Well, that's [blank] sorted." Fill in the blank: "dinner," "the bills," "my college application," whatever--it means that a task has been successfully completed. But there's a self-congratulatory tinge to it as well as a typically English diminution of the matter at hand. The phrase is best employed when there is a disconnect between the jocularity of the expression and the substance of the actual issue, ie: "Well, that's the Nazis sorted." I'm pretty sure Churchill said that.

4. Infantilizing nicknames. Any figure who spends any time in the news in Britain must have a nickname and it is usually a nickname created according to this basic formula: Truncate the first or last name, add double consonants, end it with a vowel. Thus BBC auto show presenter Jeremy Clarkson is "Jezza." Former politician Michael Heseltine is "Hezza." Toby Harnden would be either "Tozza" or "Hazza." (Of course, it isn't just proper names that the British like to abbreviate, witness "telly" for "television," "biccie" for "biscuit" and "Crimbo" for "Christmas.")

5. "Cheers." "Cheers" is sort of like the British equivalent of "aloha": a multipurpose word that can be employed in nearly any situation. It means goodbye. It means hello. It means thank you. It means you're welcome. Many English people are unable to hold even a single, brief conversation without frequent lashings of the C word.

Well, that's five from me to get us started. What bugs you about the way our English cousins speak--or can't speak--our shared language? And while we're at it, what drives you crazy about Amerispeak?

Well I went there and found something.

I've never heard cheers used in any manner other than to thank someone.

Same, I can see how people might think it meant goodbye, because I'd often, for example, finish a phonecall with "cheers".

But I'd also end a phonecall with "thanks", so I'm still using it as a substitute for thanks.

Is Infantilizing (sic... probably) a word?

Â