Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think you'll find that most people everywhere are most comfortable in their own culture. But that's no reason to slag off other people's. 

Of course they are, I mean we are all foreigners to someone. Weren't slagging it off, just making it clear that I'm happy with my bad teeth, poor taste in cuisine and the best humour in the world. Thought someone might take it the wrong way , but it was never in my intention to come across as an en-ger-lun-der. We are probably the most mocked culture, but with that stiff upper lip, we shall carry on ;)

Edited by Rugeley Villa

53 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I feel like sometimes it's an offence to be British and be happy being British. 

Nah. I'm happy being British. But I don't feel the need to declare that I'm 'proud' of it. It's an accident of birth, not an achievement. And I don't think that we're 'better' than <random country>. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Nah. I'm happy being British. But I don't feel the need to declare that I'm 'proud' of it. It's an accident of birth, not an achievement. And I don't think that we're 'better' than <random country>. 

I'm not one of these English and proud types. If I was born in Spain, I'd be happy to be Spanish, like you say it's an accident of birth. Britain has done some tremendous achievements throughout the world and also some shameful things. Some British born people hate this country and hate being British. I'm just one of those that don't. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I received a box of David Beckham-branded deodorant last year. 

I refused to join in this year. 

I'd be really paranoid if someone gave me deodorant.  I got someone a tube of Zovirax for Secret Santa one year as they'd had regular trouble with cold sores and they didn't appreciate it as much as I'd hoped.  I think deodorant is a similar no-no in these kind of things.

I'm utterly neutral on the concept of being 'british'.

I certainly can't think of an instance where I've ever described myself to others as 'british'.

But I'm perfectly happy if other people want to be british. I'm not a hater. I can get tetchy about stereotypes on account of it being lazy low witted bullying.

The concept changes with every decade. With a widely multicultural society I’m not sure ‘britishness’ in its perceived form even exists these days. You can have little snippets here and there I guess.

Also wonder if it’s a city/countryside thing. Living in brum I struggle to find an identity but when I get out into the country or seaside and visit the little towns and market villages I get a massive sense of Britishness and identity but it’s one that isn’t mine being a city boy. 

Multiculturalism is a great thing, you can get a whole host of microcosms of cultural identities to experience but not one I’d consider traditionally British.

If I had to be honest, to get a taste of real Britishness I think you need to get out to the places that haven’t been homogenised into the modern business ‘big city’ world. 

For me, a day out in proper countryside, a walk through the woods, a peruse around an old historic town or market town and a nice roast dinner with a few ales to finish it off is as close to feeling British as I get now. 

Alternatively, going out and about around parts of brum with all the influences and experiences from around the world is just as enjoyable.

Although now divorced, being married to a Sikh girl and being part of her family and their culture was gratifying and an immense pleasure to be a part of. It makes me proud of parts of the country that welcomes other nationalities and what they bring to the table with open arms. 

Doing both fills me with pride and both options can live side by side. I’m proud of both our homegrown heritage and traditions and also our global mixing pot society we live in. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I can get tetchy about stereotypes on account of it being lazy low witted bullying.

I’ve just spent a good few minutes trying to work out if a sheep joke would be funny here or not. I wimped out.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Haha 1

Teaching 'British Values' is something every teacher is directed to do in their general day to day teaching. It's as part of the Prevent strategy to minimise radicalisation (which doesn't seem to be working).

The problem being it tends to end up as 'being nice' because Britian doesn't truly have shared values. 

Â