Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

46 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

For me, the point I was mainly referring to is how kids/children are bought up and raised, people seem to churn out children like pellets from a tommy gun because it leads to more money from the DSS, not because they're serious about having a family.

I'm sure you'll have heard the phrase 'some people shouldn't be allowed to have children'. They simply appear to have them for the wrong reasons and as a consequence they end up just being dragged up rather than 'raised', separated families, broken homes, etc and turn out to be little bastards - worse than when me and you were younger. I can't say that was the same about generations past.

This just isn't true.  It's the kind of thing an avid Daily Mail reader will get very enraged about, but the birth rate in the UK is declining and has been for decades.  There's zero evidence that more people are looking to have children purely for financial gain (and it's a stupid idea if that was the case as well!).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This just isn't true.  It's the kind of thing an avid Daily Mail reader will get very enraged about, but the birth rate in the UK is declining and has been for decades.  There's zero evidence that more people are looking to have children purely for financial gain (and it's a stupid idea if that was the case as well!).

Pregnancy has not been in decline for decades, that's just utter nonsense. England had and probably still has the highest pregnancy rate in Europe. (especially tennagers).

FYI, I don't read.. nor have I ever read the daily mail.

I forgot having an opinion on some.of these forums is not warranted unless you just nod and agree and go with the grain. 

I suppose that will throw me into another category aswell, like being a daily mail reader, a flat earther or a conspiracy theorist!   :lol:

...And the band played.

I think most teachers would agree with me that over the last few years things have started to get worse. 

In my school, I can't remember it being as bad as it currently is in terms of behaviour, attitudes towards learning, engagement, entitlement etc..

Our current year 3 cohort are the last of the school children impacted by covid so it will be interesting to see if things start to reverse. 

My theory is that during lockdown, parents did their best but ultimately had their own jobs to do and children were left to their own devices and probably had a lot of unrestricted access to YouTube and the Internet. 

It's had a real negative effect IMO and I work at a nice school in a nice area.

It's an interesting one. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Pregnancy has not been in decline for decades, that's just utter nonsense. England had and probably still has the highest pregnancy rate in Europe. (especially tennagers).

I forgot having an opinion on some.of these forums is not warranted unless you just nod and agree and go with the grain. 

I suppose that will throw me into another category aswell, like being a daily mail reader, a flat earther or a conspiracy theorist!   :lol:

...And the band played.

This "having a different opinion" shit is so boring :D.  Just discuss it properly.

The birth rate in the UK is in decline.  That's factual, not an opinion.

Your opinion is that more people are getting pregnant purely to collect benefits.  I imagine you have no facts to back this up, it's your opinion.  I haven't said you're wrong here, I've just said there's zero evidence to back that up.

The fact we have is that UK birth rate is on the decline and has been for ages.

"The number of babies born in England and Wales in a year dropped in 2022 to the lowest level in two decades, according to official figures.
It follows the recent trend of decreasing live births, which had been the case before the pandemic, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said."
(Link:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/17/birthrate-in-england-and-wales-drops-to-lowest-level-in-two-decades)

"The number of people aged 15 to 64, traditionally considered the working age in the UK, has been declining from more than two-thirds of the population in 2007 to about 63 per cent last year. In a separate release, the ONS forecast the proportion will drop to less than 60 per cent by 2077."
(Link:  https://www.ft.com/content/378253f2-a7a6-4c2d-a9e9-aa228f6ad547)

"The current birth rate for U.K. in 2023 is 11.267 births per 1000 people, a 0.49% decline from 2022.
The birth rate for U.K. in 2022 was 11.322 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2021.
The birth rate for U.K. in 2021 was 11.377 births per 1000 people, a 0.49% decline from 2020.
The birth rate for U.K. in 2020 was 11.433 births per 1000 people, a 0.48% decline from 2019."
(Link:  https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/GBR/united-kingdom/birth-rate#:~:text=The birth rate for U.K.,a 0.48% decline from 2019.)

But sure, "utter nonsense" :D 

• Like 3

My 1 year old will pretty much only eat pasta pesto for dinner.  (He'll have an Ella's kitchen pouch for lunch).

I'm steadily improving the nutrition of his dinner by first switching to brown pasta and now boiling a bit of broccoli in with it.  Any big chunks of broccoli he'll separate and ditch but bits of it will stick the pasta and will successfully go down the hatch.

Please tell me his range will improve!

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This "having a different opinion" shit is so boring :D.  Just discuss it properly.

The birth rate in the UK is in decline.  That's factual, not an opinion.

Your opinion is that more people are getting pregnant purely to collect benefits.  I imagine you have no facts to back this up, it's your opinion.  I haven't said you're wrong here, I've just said there's zero evidence to back that up.

The fact we have is that UK birth rate is on the decline and has been for ages.

No different to being labelled a Daily Mail reader? Equally boring.

What's the stats for Teenage pregnancies in the UK, which is what the post also said. Can you throw in those stats too while you're on the stat mission. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm sure you'll have heard the phrase 'some people shouldn't be allowed to have children'. They simply appear to have them for the wrong reasons and as a consequence they end up just being dragged up rather than 'raised', separated families, broken homes, etc and turn out to be little bastards - worse than when me and you were younger. I can't say that was the same about generations past.

But this has always happened since the day dot.

It was exactly the same, if not worse, in generations past. you were just young so you didn't notice. 

53 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

England had and probably still has the highest pregnancy rate in Europe

Not true and never has been, Currently 6th behind France, Norway, Denmark, Ireland and there's also a case for 7th if you include the Faroe Islands

Teenage pregnancies have been on the decline in the UK consistently since 1998

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I know it's anecdotal, but my partner's cousin told me in all seriousness that the only reason they had a fourth child was the increase in child benefits, and therefore that child was his favourite. It does happen. I don't read the Mail, I didn't get enraged, but I do think he is a prick.

Also, just because we MAY (in your opinion) have had high teenage pregnancies, doesn't mean the UK pregnancy rates are not in decline.  It's comparing two different things.

As @Stevo985 said, every generation moans about the preceding and upcoming generation, always will. 

Kids behaviour probably hasn't largely changed, but parenting methods have, generational changes in how adults act & work have definitely changed and therefore there will be subtle changes in childrens behaviour. 

At school, things are very different from 30 years ago, teachers jobs have changed a lot and they don't have the facility to physically touch kids now, plus we live in a culture of suing etc.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

...And the band played.

You're allowed to have an opinion on anything you want.

But you also need to be prepared to have your opinion challenged if someone disagrees with it.

You can't just pretend you're not allowed an opinion if someone shows you that you might be wrong

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No different to being labelled a Daily Mail reader? Equally boring.

What's the stats for Teenage pregnancies in the UK, which is what the post also said. Can you throw in those stats too while you're on the stat mission. 

Here

The under-18 conception rate has decreased considerably since 2007. Between 2007 and 2021, the under-18 conception rate in England and Wales decreased by 68%, from 42 per 1,000 women to 13 per 1,000 women, resulting in 13,131 under-18 conceptions in England and Wales in 2021

• Like 1

Are we complaining about the kids, I thought we were complaining about the generation making a hash of bringing up the kids. They are just a product of their environment, it's some of the parents that are the problem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

I know it's anecdotal, but my partner's cousin told me in all seriousness that the only reason they had a fourth child was the increase in child benefits, and therefore that child was his favourite. It does happen. I don't read the Mail, I didn't get enraged, but I do think he is a prick.

It's £16 a week, the guy must be a **** idiot

Â