Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

This has reminded me of Guinness Red being a thing. Guinness trying to market a beer that was slightly less Guinness than Guinness but still Guinness.

It was alright but kinda neither fish nor fowl. I think the idea was to make a Guinness drink that wasn't as heavy and had a less strong taste, but what you got was more like Guinness that had been watered down.

• Like 1

When you get to the bar and you know you were the after the person next to you so when the barman asks you what you want you point to the other customer and offer them the service, but it turns out they are already being served and then the barman moves to the next person who got there after you.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 3
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

This has reminded me of Guinness Red being a thing. Guinness trying to market a beer that was slightly less Guinness than Guinness but still Guinness.

It was alright but kinda neither fish nor fowl. I think the idea was to make a Guinness drink that wasn't as heavy and had a less strong taste, but what you got was more like Guinness that had been watered down.

My first ever visit to Liverpool a few years back:

We’d had some stuff stolen from the hotel, the Planner wanted to ‘do a deal’ whereby he got some salvage and we got our paperwork quicker. On site, people had turned up and suggested they were going to be our security. Quite a rough day.

So we went to this pub, they had Guinness Red which I’d never seen before. So I asked the barmaid, what is that, and her answer was ‘it’s Guinness, and its red, do you want one or not?’

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yeah it came out around covid. From looking up headlines it looks like it had a troubled start in the UK and re-launched in the summer 2021, so you're not that out of date. But it's becoming popular there now. It's a good effort in fairness. Probably doesn't hold its head as long as the real thing but it's definitely drinkable and preferable to most 0% lagers if you're stuck as the designated Dessie or if mere alcohol doesn't thrill you at all.

So tell me why should it be true?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The legal frame work in this country when it comes to civil and family law cases (I dare say others too) is really damning.

I was involved in a hearing yesterday taking a non-paying customer to court to recover money owed from a job that I completed for them last year. It's a four figure sum hence going through the hassle to pursue the claim.

The whole claim/case was dismissed on the grounds where the defendant verbally claimed I had left their front doors wide open comprising the security of their house! Judge ruled in their favour despite me having a plethora of evidence.

Absolute ******* unbelievable!

As you tell it that sounds absolutely ridiculous. Definitely appeal. And get a lawyer. Actually, get a lawyer first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

As you tell it that sounds absolutely ridiculous. Definitely appeal. And get a lawyer. Actually, get a lawyer first.

You better believe it. It will be a direct access barrister though. I avoid solicitors when it comes to being represented at court and usually litigate in person without fail, even then the cases were not easy. I've experienced some really nice judges and some not so nice.

I was too angry yesterday to look into it all but knew it isn't the end of it either, but you're right. I'm already spending most of today going through the appeals process first and waiting for permission from the courts before I make the next step of contacting the chambers.

Barristers are equally not cheap, but they do a far better job than solicitors (going by previous personal experiences) and plus I understand you get what you pay for and the other party would eventually be paying the costs after all (if it goes in favour this time).

Not sure if I'm more annoyed of the inconvenience of having to go through it all again and step it up a gear or the miscarriage of justice. Probably a combination of both.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

if mere alcohol doesn't thrill you at all.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

So tell me why should it be true?

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That I get a kick, out of you.

Why are you quoting Porter in a conversation about Stout?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The legal frame work in this country when it comes to civil and family law cases (I dare say others too) is really damning.

I was involved in a hearing yesterday taking a non-paying customer to court to recover money owed from a job that I completed for them last year. It's a four figure sum hence going through the hassle to pursue the claim.

The whole claim/case was dismissed on the grounds where the defendant verbally claimed I had left their front doors wide open comprising the security of their house! Judge ruled in their favour despite me having a plethora of evidence.

There is very little way in the consequence for 'white collar' crime and financial fraud. You see a lot of stories where a trusted employee of a company will defraud them over a period of years, sometimes for eye watering amounts, they eventually get found out, taken to court, found guilty and then have to pay back a tiny amount. 

• Like 1

Public transport etiquette in Birmingham. 

Trains - people wait on the platform, train comes in, doors open and people get off. The people wanting to get on wait diligently and allow all the incoming travellers to exit. Then they file onto the train, in good order and politely. Nice.

Midland Metro - like throwing a bag of chips into a flock of seagulls. Absolute swamp rat behaviour. Doors open and its like a rugby scrum as people getting on try and charge into the people getting off. 

I'm scared to even try the bus. 

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I think this one is more an Irish pricing thing than a UK thing.  Whatever about alcohol. It's a pub. You do you. But soft drinks being the same price, or often dearer, than alcohol. That should be illegal. Especially when you're pretending to try and promote no drink driving in suburban/rural pubs and I know soft drinks cost you comparitively the square root of **** all retail. Incentivise the soft drinks. But no, they'd rather absolutely squeeze every **** penny they can out of the poor sod who; for whatever reason; has to be on the orange pop that evening. Even the alcohol free stuff should be a lot cheaper than it is, given your purchase price/taxation is significantly affected by alcohol content.

Yeah, soft drinks charges are an outrage. They don't have the excessive tax on them that Alcohol does. 

I'm getting pretty damn angry about a 2l bottle of pepsi costing £2.50 odd in a shop. Christ only knows how much cheaper pepsi from those drinks dispensers are. 

That all said, pubs are regularly going out of business so there isn't that much money to make.... At least for the landlord. How much the Pubco's earn anyway. 

On 17/10/2023 at 07:25, sidcow said:

Mid day if I can bloody help it. 

Worked from home every day last week. Yesterday was the first day it was really dark at 6.50.

Nice lie in. 5am start for when I'm in the office. I'm in town (mate) at 7am avoiding the very aggressive beggars. One threatened to smash my face in recently.

Welcome to Brum! 

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'd just written a big response about a lovely client of mine who have recently gone bust but deleted it as there's probably some stuff still confidential. 

But yes I agree, legal system is shit. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm getting pretty damn angry about a 2l bottle of pepsi costing £2.50 odd in a shop. Christ only knows how much cheaper pepsi from those drinks dispensers are. 

Usually more expensive and tastes like crap.

IIRC, the last time I purchased this at a food chain for the wee one, it was roughly £4.90 for a half pint of ice then topped off with the flat tasting and zero fizz imbalance of syrupy Pepsi/Coke from the dispenser pub tap.

But guess what..  It's unlimited refills (if you make it past the first glass).

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Seplilng
  • Like 1

Guys (usually posh ones or ones that want you to think they’re posh) that saunter around with their jacket or coat on their shoulders but without putting their arms in the sleeves. 
Are they trying to convince us all that they are so busy and important they don’t have time to put their coat on properly?

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'd just written a big response about a lovely client of mine who have recently gone bust but deleted it as there's probably some stuff still confidential. 

But yes I agree, legal system is shit. 

Incidentally, because of one of the parties involved something about this will hit national headlines if it gets out, and I hope it does because it will expose particularly odious vindictive behaviour in a well known organisation that deserves to be exposed as its ruined hundreds of lives. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Shocked 1

Â