Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If ever the sha mob thought that Villa fans are all stuck up middle class ponces from the shires, they'd have a field day with VT's Wineglassgate. 

Nothing but room temperature lager directly from their sister's mouth for that lot

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

True for brandy and not pretentious at all! Don’t think it’s right for red wine, although as you said you can hold it under the base with a thumb and a finger. I find fisting the whole thing very uncouth.

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

Where did you got this idea? About half of my wine glasses don't have stems. I have some stemless flutes too.

Wine should be served in a glass where the surface area of the wine is less than the opening. That's it. How you hold them doesn't matter.

The best wine glasses that I own are brushed stainless steel, insulated and stemless. I have really nice glassware too, but if I'm drinking something nice, it's the steel ones.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not convinced that the temperature from holding the glass makes much difference, but holding the stem is my preferred method as you don't get unseemly smudges around the main glass.

I've got some fancy Zalto glasses that have a stem not much thicker than a toothpick, and it takes some bloody confidence because the entire glass sways from the weight of the wine.

spacer.png

To be honest I don't mind a bit of grape juice

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Where did you got this idea? About half of my wine glasses don't have stems. I have some stemless flutes too.

Wine should be served in a glass where the surface area of the wine is less than the opening. That's it. How you hold them doesn't matter.

The best wine glasses that I own are brushed stainless steel, insulated and stemless. I have really nice glassware too, but if I'm drinking something nice, it's the steel ones.

Well, it's things that piss you off that shouldn't.

Do you have photos of these glasses?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

If ever the sha mob thought that Villa fans are all stuck up middle class ponces from the shires, they'd have a field day with VT's Wineglassgate. 

Wine is just what their sisters/wives do all bloody day long isn't it?

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I previously worked in the wine trade and had to do the Wine, Spirit, Education Trust qualifications.

There is a science behind all the different types of glasses. With thought as to how they should be held, the size and shape of the glass etc. 

You can even buy the specified glass style for the different wines (i.e. one for cab sav, one for shiraz) from places like Riedel.

However, it's largely absolute nonsense as it will have minimal effect and only really noticeable on the very expensive wines (which is a whole other set of nonsense).

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Don't like to bring it up again as I still smart from the abusive DMs I received. My wine, white or red is always the right temperature as I put ice in it. 

boil-humanity.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not convinced that the temperature from holding the glass makes much difference, but holding the stem is my preferred method as you don't get unseemly smudges.

I've got some fancy Zalto glasses that have a stem not much thicker than a toothpick, and it takes some bloody confidence because the entire glass sways from the weight of the wine.

Bloody pervert! 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

When you’re a little bit hungry so have something small-ish to eat. Then somehow you become absolutely starving afterwards.

Just happened to me.

This wasn't the start of a 7 course feast, that's your lot. But now I'm going to have to eat some crisps.

• Like 1

Weren’t the ‘rules’ on the temperature of wine set a very long time ago before people had central heating and fridges?

For what it’s worth, I prefer red to white, on the rare occasion I decide to treat myself to a Barolo or St Emilion from Lidl it gets drunk in my favourite wine glass. That wine glass started life as a Nutella pot.

Not this exact one, mine doesn’t have the curved base its ‘straighter’ kw.

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Weren’t the ‘rules’ on the temperature of wine set a very long time ago before people had central heating and fridges?

For what it’s worth, I prefer red to white, on the rare occasion I decide to treat myself to a Barolo or St Emilion from Lidl it gets drunk in my favourite wine glass. That wine glass started life as a Nutella pot.

Not this exact one, mine doesn’t have the curved base its ‘straighter’ kw.

spacer.png

Just reminded me of one of my pet hates. When people drink out of jam jars. It's usually rednecks or hipsters.

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I would say I’m centrist, but not one of the people that’s been conned over 40 years in to thinking that 1 inch to the left of rampant tory theft is the middle.

I’m the sort of middle that’s relaxed about people getting rich, but thinks they should pay tax, thinks we should sort out the NHS, build more houses, and stop putting Russians in the House of Lords. That private schools aren’t really charities. That Wilko Directors that take out loans to pay themselves bonuses whilst the Wilko pension fund is short should be arrested. That we should investigate the missing millions in fraudulent ppe contracts before we investigate whether my wheelchair bound mother is fit for work.

My missus has even more radical views than me.

You’re a Bolshevik heretic terrorist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Don't like to bring it up again as I still smart from the abusive DMs I received. My wine, white or red is always the right temperature as I put ice in it. 

More bloody admin, got to stick this freak on my ignore list now.

• Haha 1

Â