Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Wouldn't the argument for horse based endeavours be that along the same lines of any other 'equipment' based event - it challenges the human skill to control the horse to the human's ends?

(A devils advocate position being honest as I don't like the horsey events either, and of course such an argument also opens up 'Well why not have Olympic go-carting', but bleh)

Walking past a bus stop earlier today, there was a bloke I guess late teens early twenties using a little vanity mirror to apply make up / foundation type stuff to his face (twas more than a bit of spot concealer).

It didn't really piss me off that he may be gay or not, he may consider himself uber trendy metro sexual and may have worked out that looking like that actually gets the boys and / or girls that he wants.

It just kinda saddened me that far from women ditching the beauty myth and not being slaves to the makeup and hair routine, males are increasingly joining them. I really wanted to tell him to get a grip and be confident in his own skin, but was worried I'd look like some dinosaur ranting against poofs.

What's a platonic girlfriend ?

Genuine question

Platonic means non-sexual.

Basically if you've got a paltonic gorlfriend, you're about as deep into the friendzone as it is possible to be.

It's basically hell

People with dual allegiances during the Olympics.

Conversation with a Canadian friend earlier today:

Him: "I've been so excited watching all our amazing British athletes winning gold"

Me: "great, isn't it?"

Him: "but we (meaning canada) kicked your butts in the womens football, I thought you Brits were good at soccer?"

The OVERLY British-centric BBC Olympic coverage.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Team GB successes are great, really enjoying it all.

But time and again, some British athlete has finished way down the field, yet they are always the first (and usually the only) only post-event interview - "Well, you must be disappointed, but never mind, you did your best" - while the (non-British) winner of the event is not interviewed at all.

It's the same before the events - Michael Johnson must be getting tired of constantly being invited to sing the praises of some fair-to-middling British athlete who he knows isn't going to get out of the heats, while barely mentioning the true contenders.

OTT.

The BBC coverage is getting on my nerves too.

Don't get me wrong, I think on the whole the coverage has been absolutely brilliant.

But, for example, the nightly roundup show with Gabby Logan, I'd like it to be a bit more like match of the day. i watch it because I want to see what happened during the day. But basically all you get is a montage of the performance and then 20 minutes of them asking "How do you feel?" several times but wording it differently each time.

For example, I missed Ennis' 800 metres. Saw most of the day's events but unfortunately missed that moment. So I watched the roundup wanting to see the actual race, hear the commentary etc. That's the stuff that makes it special. Instead I got a closeup of the last 50 metres over some shitty song.

Then they spent about half an hour talking about it.

Plus you get almost nothing about anything else that happened throughout the day if it didn't involve a brit.

During Beijing they had a show on at about 6pm every night and it was great. Proper highlights of loads of stuff. Much preferred that approach.

Football players who pick up a bit of grass and cross themselves brfore going on the pitch and looking up to heaven and holding their 2 index fingers up in the air ( Lampard ) WTF does all this mean ?

Did God score the goal for them ? are they playing for him or their team ?

I dont understand the meaning of this ritual at all.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Team GB successes are great, really enjoying it all.

But time and again, some British athlete has finished way down the field, yet they are always the first (and usually the only) only post-event interview - "Well, you must be disappointed, but never mind, you did your best" - while the (non-British) winner of the event is not interviewed at all.

It's the same before the events - Michael Johnson must be getting tired of constantly being invited to sing the praises of some fair-to-middling British athlete who he knows isn't going to get out of the heats, while barely mentioning the true contenders.

OTT.

The thing you are forgetting is that the American who won that race is standing a few meters away doing an interview with NBC, the Australian competitor is a few meters further along interviewing with Channel 9, the Swede in the race is a couple of meters along again being interviewed by SVT and so on and so on.

Often the only interview you can get is with your home nations athlete, then there is a scrum from the journalists of the other 20 countries lining up to interview the winner. By the time the BBC journalist has gotten a space to talk with him the next race has started and it happens all over again.

Football players who pick up a bit of grass and cross themselves brfore going on the pitch and looking up to heaven and holding their 2 index fingers up in the air ( Lampard ) WTF does all this mean ?

He (Lampard) is remembering his dead mother.

He (Lampard) is remembering his dead mother.

I knew that about Lampard, I was using him as an example that I think we all know, to explain the jesture ( lots of other footballers do the same thing,Kaka for 1 )

I still dont understand what they are trying to convey ?

I knew that about Lampard, I was using him as an example that I think we all know, to explain the jesture ( lots of other footballers do the same thing,Kaka for 1 )

I think anyone using that gesture, is indeed a jester.

Kaka's one of them holy people, aint he.

Yes,but what does that ( looking up etc ) mean ?

Is it supposed to mean that God guided the ball into the net ?

And all that crossing comming on/off the pitch, what is that for ?

OTT.

The thing you are forgetting is that the American who won that race is standing a few meters away doing an interview with NBC, the Australian competitor is a few meters further along interviewing with Channel 9, the Swede in the race is a couple of meters along again being interviewed by SVT and so on and so on.

Often the only interview you can get is with your home nations athlete, then there is a scrum from the journalists of the other 20 countries lining up to interview the winner. By the time the BBC journalist has gotten a space to talk with him the next race has started and it happens all over again.

Sure, I realise that. But I'm damn sure the winners would be happy to fit in an interview with the BBC after that.

We seem to have a "Who CARES who's first?" attitude.

Â