Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah, both say the other crashed into them. Obviously this is a nothing event if one of them wasn’t rich and famous.

I saw a bit of the guys testimony on the news yesterday, you’d think he was the Hollywood actor. He was giving it absolutely EVERYTHING. The collision caused the breakdown of his relationship with his girlfriend because he sustained brain injuries where he gets confused and lost in his own neighbourhood. His ex-girlfriend couldn’t cope with the fact he might never return to his normal self again. It was like the scene in the Simpsons where Bart is advised to give a ridiculous account of events when Mr Burns car knocked him off his skateboard.

And yet he fully remembers the "blood curdling scream" before she smashed into him. 

• Like 1

Recycling, is there a point to it?

Visited my local tip at the weekend, after separating various different kinds of crap. I get there and do some of various types myself and then I leave a big box full of assorted crap by general waste while I go back to get the last bit from the car.

On returning to the big box the chap is lifting it all into general waste saying there was no point in separating it.

What's the point of recycling then?

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

That the IOC is thinking of letting Russian athletes in to the Olympic games.

I like to think that will be avoided by threat of withdrawal by the U.S., Australia and most European countries. I really hope those countries sports associations don't bottle it!

27 minutes ago, brommy said:

I like to think that will be avoided by threat of withdrawal by the U.S., Australia and most European countries. I really hope those countries sports associations don't bottle it!

I think we all know they will 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Recycling, is there a point to it?

Visited my local tip at the weekend, after separating various different kinds of crap. I get there and do some of various types myself and then I leave a big box full of assorted crap by general waste while I go back to get the last bit from the car.

On returning to the big box the chap is lifting it all into general waste saying there was no point in separating it.

What's the point of recycling then?

Where we live we have 3 big wheelie bins.

Black: General Waste

Green: Garden waste, £30 a year to be emptied

Blue: *was all recycled stuff like card, glass plastic.

Someone at the council obviously got a bonus for a nice cost saving. Instead of putting paper and card In the big bin with glass and plastic, it instead goes in a shitty little blue bag. Like most people I can’t get anything like as much card and paper in there as I used to put in the blue bin so far less is now recycled.

At least someone got a pat on the back for saving a fiver though. Shows recycling isn’t really taken seriously. 

With more and more people using home delivery services like Amazon prime they should be extending the recovery of paper and card, not reducing it. 

Edited by Genie

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Someone at the council obviously got a bonus for a nice cost saving. Instead of putting paper and card In the big bin with glass and plastic, it instead goes in a shitty little blue bag. Like most people I can’t get anything like as much card and paper in there as I used to put in the blue bin so far less is now recycled.

At least someone got a pat on the back for saving a fiver though. Shows recycling isn’t really taken seriously. 

With more and more people using home delivery services like Amazon prime they should be extending the recovery of paper and card, not reducing it. 

How strange, we went the other way, we used to have the stupid blue bag and a crate for the rest, then it flipped to everything in the new larger wheelie bin

There is definitely a point to separating at our household recycling centre in fact the men who work there are quite militant about it, different companies come to take away the various big skips, so a scrap metal company takes the metal, Oil salvage take the oil etc There's only certain sites that will take paint. Tellys and computers in another but small electrical itens in another. It really is well organised

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

How strange, we went the other way, we used to have the stupid blue bag and a crate for the rest, then it flipped to everything in the new larger wheelie bin

There is definitely a point to separating at our household recycling centre in fact the men who work there are quite militant about it, different companies come to take away the various big skips, so a scrap metal company takes the metal, Oil salvage take the oil etc There's only certain sites that will take paint. Tellys and computers in another but small electrical itens in another. It really is well organised

Our local recycling centre are also very particular about what goes in which skip. The introduction of the blue bags was heralded as a cost save to the council as it saved on the sorting down the line but no idea what the save was.

I’m absolutely certain there will be less card being recycled now.

I do wonder what happens when card is inevitably put in the blue bin with glass/plastic. Does it go to landfill from the sorting depot with other stuff that makes its way into the blue bin? Or does it get filtered out and sent for recycling (in which case there can’t be any saving left).

53 minutes ago, Genie said:

Bit like England and wearing the pride armband no matter what…

yeah the spineless rocket polishers  , correct decision would have been to wear it and say **** you  .. and soon as the yellow card came out take the players off the pitch  and down the tunnel 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Parts of Tipton have to pay £35 extra for grass collection, that's bad enough. But why the hell should I bother to separate anything when they just stick it in the same hole. Makes a mockery of the "Recycling to save the planet" shit.

19 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Parts of Tipton have to pay £35 extra for grass collection, that's bad enough. But why the hell should I bother to separate anything when they just stick it in the same hole. Makes a mockery of the "Recycling to save the planet" shit.

I suspect you just met an idiot who works for the council 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ve seen it happen before if they want to get people out of the way so they can close the skip and compress its contents down. I’m sure they don’t do it all day.

The different skips weren't full, the tip was busy ish but not the worst I've seen. I left with the thought "what's the point". I'm always recycling at home and moaning at the missus to do it too. This kind of thing just makes me think oh f*** off 

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

The different skips weren't full, the tip was busy ish but not the worst I've seen. I left with the thought "what's the point". I'm always recycling at home and moaning at the missus to do it too. This kind of thing just makes me think oh f*** off 

I think you're placing way too much emphasis on one lazy arse at the tip.

Recycling is a good thing. 

I said to Mrs Sidcow the other day, I wonder how many billions of plastic bottles haven't been put into landfill since they started home recycling?   All that shit used to go straight to landfill instead of being made into new bottles. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Yep same here. When it used to be blue bags for paper and card, if collection day was windy the streets would get absolutely strewn with paper. It’s a really daft idea.

Maybe its the quality of the bags, maybe I recycle more than you lot but I have had a blue bag for years and never had it blow over or lose anything from it. That said it only goes out at the last minute so its never overnight etc.

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think you're placing way too much emphasis on one lazy arse at the tip.

Recycling is a good thing. 

I said to Mrs Sidcow the other day, I wonder how many billions of plastic bottles haven't been put into landfill since they started home recycling?   All that shit used to go straight to landfill instead of being made into new bottles. 

You're probably right, I shall continue what I do at home anyway. 

It's not entirely futile, after all, 40% is better than 0, but I do slightly resent the ballache of researching what type it is, cleaning and sorting plastic recycling when we ship 60% of it overseas where it's almost certainly burned or buried.

I make more of an effort with glass/paper that we deal with more effectively in the UK, but if the plastic type is not obvious or it's too messy. **** it, it's going in the bin. Better here than being shipped to Turkey.

Edited by Davkaus

Â