Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I do love the quirk of VT Off Topic that people have either never heard or never seen acts/shows that are hugely famous and popular but then also shocked that people don’t know all about acts from several decades ago :lol: 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I do love the quirk of VT Off Topic that people have either never heard or never seen acts/shows that are hugely famous and popular but then also shocked that people don’t know all about acts from several decades ago :lol: 

Not to have a go at you, or Davkaus or any of the other people that havent heard of her. Someone that you assume is well known as she appears on festival bills, nominated for music awards, plays big gigs, gets interviewed in music mags, has had a decades long career, working with the great and good and earning multiple number one albums. The oddity isnt that people havent heard of her, its how people havent heard of her. Thats the surprise.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Well there's obviously a generational thing going on, but also US/UK differences. Bonnie Raitt's career started in the early 70s, but she's had a pretty continuous successful career right up to the present day... in America. I'm not surprised that several VTers (particularly younger ones) haven't heard of her, but this was the US Grammy awards, and - although it may have been a (refreshing) surprise that she won it ahead of some younger acts, it certainly wasn't because she's 'unknown'. It's a bit like if - oh, I dunno... let's say Cliff Richard - won some sort of award at the Brits, and a US publication reported it as a shock because he's a total unknown. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Her most famous song has 111 million streams on Spotify.

To explain in terms the less cultured members of VT will understand, that song is more famous than She’s Electric and Half The World Away by Oasis.

Her most streamed song is comparable to a couple of unreleased album tracks from a British band 25+ years ago. 

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Her most famous song has 111 million streams on Spotify.

To explain in terms the less cultured members of VT will understand, that song is more famous than She’s Electric and Half The World Away by Oasis.

Is it Achey Breaky Heart?

• Haha 1

I have to dispute the HUGE tag. 

According to Wikipedia in the UK she's had 3 top 40 albums, the biggest one only reaching no 26.

Shes had just 1 top 40 single. 

She may be an absolutely huge artist but in the UK she isn't. 

There are a number of artists who are absolutely huge in America, and being huge in America will give you gigantic streaming numbers which will eclipse massive UK bands who don't particularly crack America.  But it doesn't change the fact that not many people in the UK will be aware of them unless they take an interest in that Genre or exploring musical diversity. 

Things like Country and Blues are so much more mainstream in America but much more special interest in The UK. 

That said I'm surprised at some of reactions on here to a Daily Mail story. They're not supposed to be taken seriously 😂

Anyway Google her name today and an early result is a new Daily Mail headline "So Who Is Bonnie Rait?" so job done for them. They've stirred up a hornets nest and got a whole new avenue for more clicks. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well there's obviously a generational thing going on

Seem to recall a few years ago Kanye West was being given kudos on twitter for giving unknown artist Paul McCartney his chance at stardom 

• Haha 1

Today we got our 7th 4 weekly email from the local NHS Trust apologising that they haven't met their 4 week target to respond to an official complaint, but assuring us that they'll be in a position to do so within the next 4 weeks

It's taking a lot of restraint to not just reply with "lol"

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Today we got our 7th 4 weekly email from the local NHS Trust apologising that they haven't met their 4 week target to respond to an official complaint, but assuring us that they'll be in a position to do so within the next 4 weeks

It's taking a lot of restraint to not just reply with "lol"

Who is the NHS?

• Haha 1

Â