Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Where was it? 

There's a long boring story about swimming pools coming up here... 

They're flavour of the month with construction at the moment, replaced schools from the noughties, basically local authorities have clocked on to them losing a ton of cash because they don't know what they're doing with them, so theres an influx of operators coming in who will lease them off the LA to manage the centre but of course they all want new updated centres, as a result they're all getting refurbs, I did 4 of them before I left and my old company has done another 5 or 6 in the 3 years since

LAs being LAs request financial assistance to build the new facility, this gets passed on to Sport England who will give them a small slice of the pie, in return SE will request a certain structure to the facility, which the operator from my experience is fairly happy with, SE want clubs, they want swimmers, they don't want kids splashing around, they want coaches and classes, they want the local canoe club renting the pool for an hour more than they want kids in there 

And from what I can gather these operators do turn them around and make a lot of money so I don't think I would criticise the idea or say its wrong it's just not what it was when I was a kid

I haven't seen what they did to the crystal leisure centre but I know my old company have recently worked on that, that was a great fun pool

Long story short - blame sport england 

My local leisure centre has the same problem. I don't mind half the pool being taken up by lane swimming as I occasionally do that myself and you don't want kids in the way. What  not keen on and don't understand is the number of people who ignore the lanes and instead do endless lengths in the family swim area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

My local leisure centre has the same problem. I don't mind half the pool being taken up by lane swimming as I occasionally do that myself and you don't want kids in the way. What  not keen on and don't understand is the number of people who ignore the lanes and instead do endless lengths in the family swim area. 

There was loads of room in the lanes too, plus 3 speed levels. 
Absolutely no need for so many people to be doing lengths in the general area, and then tutting when we got in their way. 
Next time I might ask a lifeguard to make an announcement telling these **** to do lengths in the lanes provided.

Edited by Genie

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

There was loads of room in the lanes too, plus 3 speed levels. 
Absolutely no need for so many people to be doing lengths in the general area, and then tutting when we got in their way. 
Next time I might ask a lifeguard to make an announcement telling these **** to do lengths in the lanes provided.

Only reason for it I can think of is that maybe a private swimming club has hired the lanes and won't let general public in. But surely they'd just close the whole pool if that was the case? 

18 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Coming over to the UK in August for a mate's wedding and looking on how to get back from Edinburgh to the Midlands.

Checked the trains, bear in mind we're 5 months out.  2 singles, Edinburgh to Birmingham, 220 quid. Are they having a laugh????

I could fly to and from Poland 3 times for that.

Check closer to the date. Cheap advance ticket are only generally put on sale 8-12 weeks before the date of travel. 

18 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Coming over to the UK in August for a mate's wedding and looking on how to get back from Edinburgh to the Midlands.

Checked the trains, bear in mind we're 5 months out.  2 singles, Edinburgh to Birmingham, 220 quid. Are they having a laugh????

I could fly to and from Poland 3 times for that.

You'll probably find a flight from Edinburgh to Brum for about 50 quid, if not less

8 hours ago, Genie said:

This pool is at the Snowdome in Tamworth. A completely private enterprise as far as I am aware. 

My swimming annoyance involved the virgin gym in Lichfield (now David Lloyd). I used to do 3 or so hours plodding up and down covering about 4km eventually. Happy out. Thing was, there was an old geezer who used to come  out of the sauna room to the side and get straight into the pool, not bothering to rinse off in the poolside shower first  - he had a really hairy torso too, matted with all the sweat from the sauna🤮

Then all he'd do for about an hour was to walk up and down the length of the pool, arms outstretched. That is fine enough but often he'd be in the middle of the pool which made swimming around him somewhat difficult. 

As I always wore earplugs when I swam I sometimes didn't realise how loud my snarly comments were as I plodded past him - not that he took any notice. 

Edited by mottaloo

13 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

My swimming annoyance involved the virgin gym in Lichfield (now David Lloyd). I used to do 3 or so hours plodding up and down covering about 4km eventually. Happy out. Thing was, there was an old geezer who used to come  out of the sauna room to the side and get straight into the pool, not bothering to rinse off in the poolside shower first  - he had a really hairy torso too, matted with all the sweat from the sauna🤮

Then all he'd do for about an hour was to walk up and down the length of the pool, arms outstretched. That is fine enough but often he'd be in the middle of the pool which made swimming around him somewhat difficult. 

As I always wore earplugs when I swam I sometimes didn't realise how loud my snarly comments were as I plodded past him - not that he took any notice. 

The terminology for what comes off him is "body fat" 

And doing refurbs of old leisure centres I've seen too many old drain runs 🤢

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The terminology for what comes off him is "body fat" 

And doing refurbs of old leisure centres I've seen too many old drain runs 🤢

Are you saying saunas are hot enough to render people's fat?! You want to be careful about letting grandad get too close to being a pork scratching. Someone might just be tempted. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you saying saunas are hot enough to render people's fat?! You want to be careful about letting grandad get too close to being a pork scratching. Someone might just be tempted. 

No, it's more the way it all kind of conjeals together, it's not actual fat it's dead skin, hair, the dirty soap etc basically everything that washes off you 

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No, it's more the way it all kind of conjeals together, it's not actual fat it's dead skin, hair, the dirty soap etc basically everything that washes off you 

Grim. I imagine that's enough to make you think twice before getting in any pool.

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Thing was, there was an old geezer who used to come  out of the sauna room to the side and get straight into the pool, not bothering to rinse off in the poolside shower first  - he had a really hairy torso too, matted with all the sweat from the sauna🤮

I did hear the comments. They cut through my matted torso, right to the bone :(

• Haha 4

I build Gundam models. They're made by Bandai, in Japan, and while they're huge in Japan (and the East generally) they're quite difficult to come by in the UK, very few places stock them and if they do they have limited ranges and they're expensive. As a result the usual thing to do is to buy them directly from a Japanese retailer.

Well, Bandai have decided that that isn't happening anymore and has cracked down on Japanese retailers exporting products (claiming they're cracking down on scalpers), making the options to buy kits increasingly limited.

Which is shit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Go on...

I just hate the way Ant Middleton sees himself as a sort of therapist, “breaking people down to build them back up”.

It’s a consequence of him not being allowed to tell his war stories in the way Andy McNab was, so he has to present himself as a self help guru.

But his life philosophy is toxic.

The mindset that thrives in a war zone is different from a healthy mindset in everyday life, and he doesn’t seem to grasp that. He also doesn’t seem to grasp that he isn’t a qualified psychiatrist.

On top of that he’s a bully, suffers from obvious small man syndrome, and he comes off as a misogynist as well.

And of all the SAS/SBS blokes on the TV show, he’s actually the most junior and least experienced. The others have taken more of a back seat, but they seem like much more impressive, likeable characters.

Fair play to him, he’s a hard little bastard and a brave little bastard, and I’m glad he was on our side. But I think he’s a nasty word removed.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I just hate the way Ant Middleton sees himself as a sort of therapist, “breaking people down to build them back up”.

It’s a consequence of him not being allowed to tell his war stories in the way Andy McNab was, so he has to present himself as a self help guru.

But his life philosophy is toxic.

The mindset that thrives in a war zone is different from a healthy mindset in everyday life, and he doesn’t seem to grasp that. He also doesn’t seem to grasp that he isn’t a qualified psychiatrist.

On top of that he’s a bully, suffers from obvious small man syndrome, and he comes off as a misogynist as well.

And of all the SAS/SBS blokes on the TV show, he’s actually the most junior and least experienced. The others have taken more of a back seat, but they seem like much more impressive, likeable characters.

Fair play to him, he’s a hard little bastard and a brave little bastard, and I’m glad he was on our side. But I think he’s a nasty word removed.

I guess its just their experiences which have formed there lives.

Always thought Jason Fox was the main geezer. He got caught and took as hostage apparently. Did a great program on his own, going into hard core territories, Colombia and the like.

• Like 1

Â