Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

38 minutes ago, limpid said:

Setting aside the Dunning-Kruger effect; I don't believe that thinking (on its own) can ever make someone better informed. It just reinforces existing cognitive biases and strengthens the thinker's "bubble".

In extreme cases this might make people with other points of view appear to be "do-gooders". The truth is, they have their own bubble :mrgreen: 

You dont believe in thinking for yourself? lol

Well i guess we are all different.

1 minute ago, Ikantcpell said:

You dont believe in thinking for yourself? lol

Well i guess we are all different.

Not really. We are all pretty much exactly the same and we all behave in accordance to our biology and surroundings.

Thinking is just something the brain does without even thinking.:D

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

Why aren't you mean to have side lights on in the daytime?

I keep my headlights on all the time, morning afternoon or evening.  It feels safer and people less likely to crash into me. 

Are you saying that i shouldn't legally or socially?   

Only just seen this, no idea why I posted side when I meant fog

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

This bit specifically is utter BS.

The valuation they gave you on your car wasn't contingent on a set date of the final transaction, even if it were you aren't extending the period or delaying the purchase.

So I'd tell him they are in breach of your contract in which case you consider the agreement void and you will expect he full return of your deposit.

Yeah I knew it was BS. If it was based on a final date then I'd have lost value in the 14 weeks since I ordered it. He didn't seem in such a hurry during that period of time.

He still hasn't replied. If he doesn't back down I'm immediately going to tell him that I'm walking away. I already intimated as much in my first reply.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I knew it was BS. If it was based on a final date then I'd have lost value in the 14 weeks since I ordered it. He didn't seem in such a hurry during that period of time.

He still hasn't replied. If he doesn't back down I'm immediately going to tell him that I'm walking away. I already intimated as much in my first reply.

Presumably he works for a dealership. Just go to the top man and tell him of your displeasure at the way his dealership is treating you...

14 hours ago, Xela said:

We think the world revolves around us @mottaloo because it does! Sales pays your wages :P

Oh the number of times I've had that comment thrown at me, usually delivered in a haughty, sneery manner..... i used to shout that from my seat about my season ticket :D

Anyway, please accept my 'umble apologies guvnor......and keep being the exception in sales. Who knows - you could just turn a few your way (if you know what i mean ;))

• Like 1

13 hours ago, limpid said:

Setting aside the Dunning-Kruger effect; I don't believe that thinking (on its own) can ever make someone better informed. It just reinforces existing cognitive biases and strengthens the thinker's "bubble".

In extreme cases this might make people with other points of view appear to be "do-gooders". The truth is, they have their own bubble :mrgreen: 

But aren't thinking and becoming informed two different things entirely?

Being informed is having the information and thinking is the formulation of that information.

Having the information but not thinking would produce the same result as thinking without the information.

The logical implication of the Dunning-Kruger effect is that the conclusion which a person has the most doubt about is the most likely to be correct.

So obviously I completely doubt that anything written above is actually correct. :D

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But aren't thinking and becoming informed two different things entirely?

Yes. That's the point I was making.

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The logical implication of the Dunning-Kruger effect is that the conclusion which a person has the most doubt about is the most likely to be correct.

It's a cognitive bias related to how one's beliefs are inversely proportional to one's lack of subject matter expertise. Your conclusion doesn't address the aspect of expertise and indeed seems to refer to the corollary related to actual subject matter experts.

said this before, being made to feel like a word removed for taking time off work

im up to 47 emails and 9 missed calls today, just had to scan over them all and listen to my voicemails to make sure none of its urgent, 7 of the missed calls are from people in my office who know im off

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be spending my days off interviewing if I received calls for anything short of an unforeseeable emergency. And **** reading emails, that's what out of office responses are for.

If I ran a company, I'd probably feel differently, but as a busy worker bee making someone else rich, I do my cotnracted hours, and my time off is mine.

Work-life balance is important. 

Agreed, and I'd also say that genuine "emergencies" do not exist in the vast majority of jobs.  

they dont exist in mine either

a lot of it is self preservation, as soon as you're off theres an opportunity to claim something hasnt been done and throw me under the bus

last time i went on holiday i phoned up my counterpart and cancelled a meeting saying sorry im on holiday, as soon as i was gone as the out of office reply went out my company got a formal complaint that i hadnt notified the client that i was away, the verbal conversation i had with him was conveniently forgotten

the construction industry is great on a friday afternoon when everyone says **** this im going home, any other time its properly wank

Everyone I work with knows that if I'm off, I'm off. I don't check emails or take phone calls.

It annoys some people, especially the ones at my level, because some of them always check emails etc so they feel like everyone else should too.

• Like 1

Car dealer rang.

Immediately got my back up by starting the conversation with "why didn't you tell me sooner about your holiday?!"
As if it's my responsibility to tell him my holiday plans.

"That way I could have made other arrangements"

**** off mate.

I didn't tell him to **** off. But I told him that the way their business operates isn't my problem.

Brought a new pair of jeans because the weight loss is making my current clothes too big. Brought straight leg, it's tighter in the calf than in the thigh. I wouldn't mind so much but it's not like I'm calfzilla.

Â