Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The fact that Hotel La Tour in Brum cowtowed to social media bullies venting faux outrage and removed their bum posters. The correct response would have been to tell people to piss off and grow up. 

This is the story. What it failed to mention was that it also used a man's bottom on the adverts, not just a woman's, but this was seemingly overlooked as it didn't fit in with the outrage

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/cheeky-hotel-la-tour-condemned-11328737

A hotel has come under fire after deciding to depict images of women’s bottoms to promote the rear entrance of a restaurant.

Hotel La Tour was branded “highly sexist and offensive” after using the advertising to advertise the entrance to Mr White’s English Chophouse.

The new entrance will enable guests to walk directly into the restaurant instead of having to go through Hotel La Tour’s reception.

It shows a series of bottoms with the words ‘We’re getting ready to reveal our FABULOUS NEW REAR..! entrance’.

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It is not anecdotal because it can be fact-checked.

And yes, it does tell us how good the NHS is over a weekend when so much trouble is taken to avoid what they know is the real situation.

The anecdotes coming out of Stafford Hospital were not believed and the NHS claimed that their statistics proved everything was marvellous.

It was only after the enquiry that the statistics (400-1200 deaths) caught up with the anecdotal truth.

And if the NHS is such an open and honest institution, why have the government had to implement schemes for helping whistleblowers?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/01/the-problem-with-the-figures-on-deaths-at-stafford-hospital

One of the things that puzzles and infuriates readers is the number of occasions that the same mistake is made in the Guardian, despite repeated corrections. It is also pretty annoying for the readers’ editor who has made the corrections and published them.

It shouldn’t happen. But it does. What follows is an attempt to explain, not excuse, how one particular persistent error has appeared regularly in the print and online versions of the Guardian.

On at least three occasions in the past two years the Guardian has published stories in which we have said, wrongly, that the Francis reports – there were two – into the care provided by Mid Staffordshire NHS foundation trust found up to 1,200 deaths over five years that could have been prevented

Living in the town one of the things that pisses off a great deal of the residents is the misreporting. 

Not interested in a political debate but I do know that whilst my mother in law has been in and out of hospital over the last few months sweet fa happens when she takes a dive over the weekend. Nurses only around saying we will have to wait till Monday till someone can do anything. I am pretty sure that if she takes a serious dive over the weekend she will have much less chance of survival than if it happens mid week and that in my eyes is the end of the argument because she might be an old lady but the same would be true if if was one of my kids or my wife and that ain't right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I always found "booking fees" a bit of a piss take, as if you have to pay a fee to be able to purchase a product off someone... It would be like take a £30 shirt to the till in a shop and then the cashier adding £2 on to process the purchase...

Then I just spotted this on an event ticket...

Absolutely it's just a swindle.

Ticket resellers are also basically organised crime, utter scum making money off people who just want to enjoy their favorite band or team or whatever.  They claim to cut down on touts but they are just organised touts. They use inside contacts (who are no doubt taken care of for their help) and buy huge amounts of tickets before the public can get hold of them then sell them over face value. This is what happens when you hear about gigs and whatnot selling out in minutes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

aaah, so  when the latest royal baby was delivered in the private Lingo wing of St Mary's hospital, that was because it was a Saturday.

Had it been a Wednesday, they'd have just used the nearest NHS maternity shed.

That is a good example.

If the royal waters had broken during, say, the Duchess of Cambridge's opening ceremony of Barry's brand new dodgem concession, the maternity unit they chose to take her to, would be a decent guide as to which was known to be the better unit in the NHS. 

The weekend issue is still a factor as according to the NHS own website, slightly more babies die during weekend births.

32 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Absolutely it's just a swindle.

Ticket resellers are also basically organised crime, utter scum making money off people who just want to enjoy their favorite band or team or whatever.  They claim to cut down on touts but they are just organised touts. They use inside contacts (who are no doubt taken care of for their help) and buy huge amounts of tickets before the public can get hold of them then sell them over face value. This is what happens when you hear about gigs and whatnot selling out in minutes. 

100% agree, ticketmaster get money off initial sale of tickets and then a second time from sites they own resettling them.  Can't believe it's legal. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is a good example.

If the royal waters had broken during, say, the Duchess of Cambridge's opening ceremony of Barry's brand new dodgem concession, the maternity unit they chose to take her to, would be a decent guide as to which was known to be the better unit in the NHS. 

The weekend issue is still a factor as according to the NHS own website, slightly more babies die during weekend births.

she could avail herself of one of our special waterfront birthing pods, then the nipper would be a proper island kid

Cif0VU0XAAAv_pq.jpg

the middle yellow one is best, very relaxed attendant / midwife

20228872315_3aa832d881_q.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Katie price

Loathsome woman, I see she's putting her disabled kid on the tv now to get publicity

still give her one mind 

• Like 1

Yep, the whole thing, getting him on TV to discuss internet trolls, how does he even know what Internet trolls are he's 13

Doing a tour around schools to discuss bullying, yeah I'm sure that's for his benefit

That kid doesn't stand a chance

3 hours ago, V01 said:

The wife's work let her take holiday the other week then didn't pay her holiday pay, she's asked them to sort it out and they are refusing because they've moved to a new system that works on accrual. Dodgy words removed, she should have loads of holiday left.

They are breaking the law , I think a letter along the lines of please pay it within x days or I'll refer it to acas will see it rectified .... There is only a 3 month limit on holiday pay claims / issues so don't let them fob  her off for too long

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I always found "booking fees" a bit of a piss take, as if you have to pay a fee to be able to purchase a product off someone... It would be like take a £30 shirt to the till in a shop and then the cashier adding £2 on to process the purchase...

Then I just spotted this on an event ticket...

Tell me about it , I got done for £6.50 booking fee per ticket on a gig I bought tickets for recently ... £26 for 4 tickets that I bought online and printed at home , these people are as bad as Wonga or any PPI mis-selling 

• Like 3

A genuine piss me off but shouldn't.

The news. Mainly the TV and written press.

Obviously it serves the purpose of letting everyone know what's going on but it's all so negative, generally focusing on what I'd consider the worst parts of the world and society, or people writing poorly researched, unbalanced stories to deliberately provoke a reaction from a certain set of people.

Personally I think life seems a lot better when I've managed to miss all the news programmes and am completely oblivious to what's going on outside my own bubble.

I don't know how some people can watch it every day it would wear me down, there seems to be a new crisis every 5 minutes.

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, the whole thing, getting him on TV to discuss internet trolls, how does he even know what Internet trolls are he's 13

Doing a tour around schools to discuss bullying, yeah I'm sure that's for his benefit

That kid doesn't stand a chance

If she was that bothered about her kids not being bullied and trolled, how about when the TV companies came to film her (doing what ever the **** it is she does), she tells them not to film her kids, so they can live as normal life as possible, and not be subjected to it in the first place? That doesn't fit in with the Saint Katie narrative though, does it? The poor little sods don't stand a chance.

Hello you vacuous, orange faced, balloon titted word removed.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jjaacckk91 said:

A genuine piss me off but shouldn't.

The news. Mainly the TV and written press.

Obviously it serves the purpose of letting everyone know what's going on but it's all so negative, generally focusing on what I'd consider the worst parts of the world and society, or people writing poorly researched, unbalanced stories to deliberately provoke a reaction from a certain set of people.

Personally I think life seems a lot better when I've managed to miss all the news programmes and am completely oblivious to what's going on outside my own bubble.

I don't know how some people can watch it every day it would wear me down, there seems to be a new crisis every 5 minutes.

I am sure most people would be happier if they didn't lay themselves open to the daily invitation to anxiety and misery which is the news.

But to paraphrase what Bart Simpson said to Lisa: "If you don't watch the horror, you'll never get desensitised to it?"

• Like 1

I got roped in to doing the shopping for an old person at the end of last week. They are housebound and it was my turn to be saintly.

I was genuinely upset when part of the shopping list included The Daily Mail. I made a big harumphing deal out of it and considered just saying they never had newspapers by the time I got to the shops. Anyway, I held my nose and bought it. When I got it home, my nipper was curious just how vile it could be, having heard me rant about it an hour earlier, so started leafing through it.

We got as far as page 7, but from front cover, pages 2,3 then pages 4,5 and pages 6,7 every page had a minimum of one story that included one of the following three words: immigrant, benefits, rape. One story heroically managed to combine all three. One story was about a woman raped by a black guy she had mistaken for a white guy in the dark when she'd given her consent.

If you are an old lady and you are housebound and that is your main source of news of what is happening in the world I guess you are going to have a particular outlook on the world beyond the end of your street.

Regardless of what an individual's politics might be, why would you want to put yourself through reading that stuff every single day? If that was a true reflection of life, I'd rather be ignorant of it and just spend my time painting flowers or baking or building a sex dungeon or something. I couldn't be reading that anger and fear every day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I got roped in to doing the shopping for an old person at the end of last week. They are housebound and it was my turn to be saintly.

I was genuinely upset when part of the shopping list included The Daily Mail. I made a big harumphing deal out of it and considered just saying they never had newspapers by the time I got to the shops. Anyway, I held my nose and bought it. When I got it home, my nipper was curious just how vile it could be, having heard me rant about it an hour earlier, so started leafing through it.

We got as far as page 7, but from front cover, pages 2,3 then pages 4,5 and pages 6,7 every page had a minimum of one story that included one of the following three words: immigrant, benefits, rape. One story heroically managed to combine all three. One story was about a woman raped by a black guy she had mistaken for a white guy in the dark when she'd given her consent.

If you are an old lady and you are housebound and that is your main source of news of what is happening in the world I guess you are going to have a particular outlook on the world beyond the end of your street.

Regardless of what an individual's politics might be, why would you want to put yourself through reading that stuff every single day? If that was a true reflection of life, I'd rather be ignorant of it and just spend my time painting flowers or baking or building a sex dungeon or something. I couldn't be reading that anger and fear every day.

Remember those adverts - Every Woman Needs Her Daily Mail!

There is little doubt that it is marketed towards women.

I suppose we have to accept that Catherine Tate's Nan character was not a million miles from the truth. :)

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What?

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My in-laws read the Daily Mail, and take their world view from it. It is alarming and depressing in equal measure. 

My Dad did too. Well, the Daily Express was his main one, but there's little difference, and the Mail was his backup.

My mom still buys the Express, even though she doesn't really like it and agrees with me that it's shite. But she "likes the crossword".

:rolleyes:

Â