Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

pedals that dont fit my new bike, I had a ballache getting the bike delivered in the first place, oh as an aside, all cyclists are words removed, but I use a bike for part of my commute, so delivery company regardless of current wife remaining in all day on friday didnt deliver and then said they put a card through the door, they didnt, so arranged for it to be delivered before 9.30 on friday, it was delivered to a random person yesterday, I tracked it down and managed to assemble it, all apart from the pedals, they dont go in clockwise or anti clockwise, so now in communication to get new pedals.

Just been on facebook the first time in weeks. Scrolling down the page and I see someone has added 20+ photos of their uncles funeral yesterday. Flowers, group family photos where theyre all smiling, photos of people from afar chatting. Im amazed there wasn't one of the grave.

Since when has this been a thing? Cant say ive ever been to a funeral where someone has taken photos, and would like to think it would be commonly thought of as distasteful to say the least. Am I just finding out that this is a new thing that people do?

Now I know why I avoid facebook!

Just been on facebook the first time in weeks. Scrolling down the page and I see someone has added 20+ photos of their uncles funeral yesterday. Flowers, group family photos where theyre all smiling, photos of people from afar chatting. Im amazed there wasn't one of the grave.

Since when has this been a thing? Cant say ive ever been to a funeral where someone has taken photos, and would like to think it would be commonly thought of as distasteful to say the least. Am I just finding out that this is a new thing that people do?

To add to this, the sister of a guy I went to school with put up a selfie of her and her grandmother in a hospital bed looking really out of it. You could almost hear her death rattle through the picture. Staring off to the side, arms all atrophied and face very jaundiced probably due to multi-organ failure, one eye closed, while her granddaughter is doing a big smile. Filter on the photo to make the jaundice more pronounced. Post read something like: RIP granny. I know we didn't get on all the time down along through the years but you were always good to me whenever I needed down through along the years. Obviously the grandmother had died shortly after the picture was taken. Maybe being in a selfie was her final wish and she could then die in peace. 

I've again found the picture. It's actually worse than I remember. 157 likes though. So at least some good came of it.

To add to this, the sister of a guy I went to school with put up a selfie of her and her grandmother in a hospital bed looking really out of it. You could almost hear her death rattle through the picture. Staring off to the side, arms all atrophied and face very jaundiced probably due to multi-organ failure, one eye closed, while her granddaughter is doing a big smile. Filter on the photo to make the jaundice more pronounced. Post read something like: RIP granny. I know we didn't get on all the time down along through the years but you were always good to me whenever I needed down through along the years. Obviously the grandmother had died shortly after the picture was taken. Maybe being in a selfie was her final wish and she could then die in peace. 

I've again found the picture. It's actually worse than I remember. 157 likes though. So at least some good came of it.

That's what I don't get, its bad enough that they took the photos but then people like it. I don't know what I find more bizarre. Is it normal now?

Men, almost always men, that feel the need to use vast golfing umbrellas walking down the pavement of a busy street.

Well done, you scored a free brolly at the 2012 HSBC golf event. However, it's now 2015 and you are on your way to work in the drizzle. Put the toys away. Or is this just a cunning stunt to show off your bizarrely over sized watch? What makes me think that if I traced this guy back to his car it would have been an Audi?

Need a coffee...

I carry two golf umbrellas in the boot of my Audi. Can't think that I've ever used them myself but they stay there to offer to ladies in the rain. For I, am a gentleman. ;)

Depends on the culture.

When I've been to funerals in Ireland (more than I'd like) they are a much more celebratory event than funerals i've been to in England.

In Ireland people seem to get pissed, celebrate the persons life and try and make it a happy send off.

In England it's all doom and gloom.

Not sure I'd go as far as putting pictures on Facebook, but I can see people doing it.

None of the above is a reason to avoid Facebook. It is reason to avoid your "friends"' posting. Unfriend or unfollow. If NONE of your friends know how to use social media sensibly, then yes, you may as well not use it.

Re: umbrella. I have a large one (ooh err, missus). When I was working, I HAD to get out of the office every lunchtime, for the sake of my sanity - even if it was raining heavily. In those circumstances, a hooded coat or a small folding umbrella is worse than useless. I don't see the problem (BTW, I detest golf and I have never owned an Audi).

Having said that, I don't think I've used said umbrella since I retired 18 months ago.

• Like 1

Sky.

My TV/internet and phone bill went up to nearly £90 a month recently. I'd had a discount before that which made it more affordable, but I'd decided I'd cancel sky when it went back up and get my internet from a different provider and just settle with freeview tv. I barely watch TV outside of Netflix and football, and the football can be watched on less reputable sources. The speed of the internet I get from sky is "upto" 14Mb but I'm lucky if I get over 5.

Anyway, I rang them to cancel and after ages on the phone they eventually convinced me not to. BAsically they halved my bill (although I have cancelled sky sports) but given me their super fast broadband.

They told me it was "40Mb"

I specifically asked the guy "Is it really 40Mb though? Or is it upto 40Mb and I'll actually get about 10"

"Oh no, it's actually 40Mb. The absolute minimum line speed is 36Mb so that's the lowest you'll get"

Had it two days now. Not yet got over 22Mb. Arseholes.

I've always wondered how they get away with that. Have you spoke to them about it?

Nah. I'll be ringing them tomorrow. 

Decided I'd give it the weekend to get over any teething problems there might be as it only changed over yesterday (I have no idea if there is any such thing as teething problems for a new connection but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt)

I wasn't sure about going with the new deal anyway, especially as it tied me into a new 12 month deal.

I'll be demanding it's cancelled I think. It's not what I paid for. They can't even use the "upto 40Mb" excuse as I explicitly asked about that and was told something different.

Rang them.

There's a fault on the line. Realised when I picked up the landline (which I hardly ever use) that there was no dial tone.

They said it's almost certainly related.

I realise I'm straying into tech thread territory now, but I'm asking the question anyway.

One thing they said was that using WiFi instead of a wired connection will reduce the speed. She tried to pass that off as the reason for the slow speed initially, even though I'm getting about 20Mb compared to the 36Mb they promised me.

She was trying to palm me off, right? WiFi wouldn't decrease the speed by that much, would it? (The router is in the same room as the laptop, about 10 foot away)

I've read it. Unfortunately I read it after I signed up to the new deal from Sky. As it ties me in for 12 months I'm a bit limited.

Which is why I'll use the fact that they're not giving me what I paid for as a reason to leave

There will be a cooling off period won't there so you could cancel? Or is that just mobiles?

I'll be asking that tomorrow, but I have a feeling he told me that there was no cooling off period. I can't find anything on the documentation that came through though.
Sky Fibre is 'from the cabinet'. It's not a direct fibre optic line to you house, which you get from other providers. What this means is you lose 'speed' from your cabinet to your house and then from your router to your computer. Especially if it's wireless.

If they told you, you would get 40 meg at your computer they lied because they don't offer that and also in practice it is virtually impossible.

I have Sky Fiber (up to 38Mb), the cabinet is across the road from me, and I still have never got near to 38 Mb. It's still quick and they gave it to me for £5 a month for a year, but that's run out now.

Their retention team usually offer something or another if you ring up and threaten to leave.

Might have to ring up and see what they can offer again.

I've read it. Unfortunately I read it after I signed up to the new deal from Sky. As it ties me in for 12 months I'm a bit limited.

Which is why I'll use the fact that they're not giving me what I paid for as a reason to leave

There will be a cooling off period won't there so you could cancel? Or is that just mobiles?
I'll be asking that tomorrow, but I have a feeling he told me that there was no cooling off period. I can't find anything on the documentation that came through though.
Sky Fibre is 'from the cabinet'. It's not a direct fibre optic line to you house, which you get from other providers. What this means is you lose 'speed' from your cabinet to your house and then from your router to your computer. Especially if it's wireless.

If they told you, you would get 40 meg at your computer they lied because they don't offer that and also in practice it is virtually impossible.

I have Sky Fiber (up to 38Mb), the cabinet is across the road from me, and I still have never got near to 38 Mb. It's still quick and they gave it to me for £5 a month for a year, but that's run out now.

Their retention team usually offer something or another if you ring up and threaten to leave.

Might have to ring up and see what they can offer again.

I knew I wouldn't get 40, but I asked the question and the guy said I'd get minimum 36Mb

No idea how Wifi effects the speed but surely you can plug it in directly check the speed and that will give you your answer.

I can't, my chromebook only has wifi.

I can use my PS4 though so I may try that.

A friend of mine (Friend A) added a different friend from a different social circle (Friend B ) into a group Whatsapp chat which consists of Friend A social circle.

Normally, the ettique is to have a vote to add any new member to a whatsapp group, or at least ask the original friend (ie: me).

I responded by setting up a rival whatsapp group with all the original members except Friend B.

Friend A then responded by talking about the rival group in the original chat which now includes Friend B.

Friend B then got pissed off with me for trying to cut him out of the group chat.

I then got pissed off with Friend A for adding him in the first place.

So everyone is pissed off, but nobody should be.   AAAAARGGGGGHHH.

Edited by ender4

A friend of mine (Friend A) added a different friend from a different social circle (Friend B ) into a group Whatsapp chat which consists of Friend A social circle.

Normally, the ettique is to have a vote to add any new member to a whatsapp group, or at least ask the original friend (ie: me).

I responded by setting up a rival whatsapp group with all the original members except Friend B.

Friend A then responded by talking about the rival group in the original chat which now includes Friend B.

Friend B then got pissed off with me for trying to cut him out of the group chat.

I then got pissed off with Friend A for adding him in the first place.

So everyone is pissed off, but nobody should be.   AAAAARGGGGGHHH.

I was added to a circle such as this, I blocked them.

Â