Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The inflated importance of the Battle of Waterloo. Napoleon had lost in Russia and then lost the key battle at Leipzig. Lost at Paris and went into exile. Came back and lost Waterloo.

Had he won at Waterloo he still wouldn't have conquered Europe. Had he won in Russia or especially at Leipzig he would really threatened to.

It's like saying D Day turned the tide of WW2 not Stalingrad. I hate history inflated to give a positive light on the countries involved. Waterloo in my mind is the worst case of English historians doing this.Yes

Yes, but the war was ended there, I guess that's why it's so symbolic.

It's more the equivalent of the Russian assault on Berlin (or the atomic bombings of Japan) than the equivalent of Stalingrad.

Been watching rick stein in India. Fantastic show considering I normally hate cooking shows. Annoys me that in Birmingham we have no Real Indian restaurants only crappy bangladeshi ones which although okay is nothing like the Indian food I've had when I went to India or the beautiful Indian food on the rick stein show. I've never been to a real indian restaurant in Birmingham and my Sikh friends haven't either. Shame that what people think is true Indian food in the curry houses isn't. By the way India is beautiful

Out of interest which part of India did you go to?

There was a piece on the news this morning about the litter problem on beaches during the recent hot weather. Something like 20 tonnes of litter on Brighton beach. People are such tramps.

I don't know what the attraction is with places light Brighton, Blackpool etc.

There are plenty of fantastic beaches spread around the UK, but most people tend to congregate around the ones with the most doughnut stalls, which invariably tend to be the sh*ttest ones.

In response to the topic title:

Women's Football.

It isn't going to take on in this country, so I do wish the BBC would stop trying to push it onto us.

Not with that attitude, it isn't.

• Like 2

Women's Football.

It isn't going to take on in this country, so I do wish the BBC would stop trying to push it onto us.

I did specifically refer it back to the topic title ;)

I appreciate it's not a particularly cultured view to have, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest, and from my personal experience, this puts me amongst the vast majority of people.

The champions league is so popular as people want to see the absolute best in the world play each other. Women's sport in general suffers from fact they are so inferior at that professional level to a huge proportion of male athletes that one can never get the same or even close to the same enjoyment from the same sport.

• Like 1

It's just people being angry on a football forum. Their wishing it doesn't make it any more likely to happen. I suppose you're in the right thread in that respect. Someone venting frustration really shouldn't bother you.

Washing machine that beeps non stop for like 3 minutes when the washing is done. Whoever thought that people needed to drop what they're doing and run to quickly empty the washing machine needs to die a painful death.

• Like 1

The inflated importance of the Battle of Waterloo. Napoleon had lost in Russia and then lost the key battle at Leipzig. Lost at Paris and went into exile. Came back and lost Waterloo.

Had he won at Waterloo he still wouldn't have conquered Europe. Had he won in Russia or especially at Leipzig he would really threatened to.

It's like saying D Day turned the tide of WW2 not Stalingrad. I hate history inflated to give a positive light on the countries involved. Waterloo in my mind is the worst case of English historians doing this.Yes

Yes, but the war was ended there, I guess that's why it's so symbolic.

It's more the equivalent of the Russian assault on Berlin (or the atomic bombings of Japan) than the equivalent of Stalingrad.

did you watch stone's untold history program?

one of the episodes was on the russians and their importance in WW2 and the d-day / stalingrad reference etc etc theres also a really good BBC book / series called WW2 behind closed doors which goes on about the politics of the 2nd front in europe and the delays

however 2nd episode of the stone show was the atomic bombs and how one of the leading japs was quoted as saying 1 bomb or 10k bombs it makes no difference, the russians invaded the north smashed a few battles, the japs surrendered

i havent had a chance yet to really read up on it, but why the **** has that never been taught to me? i did a-level history and id say thats when you get told about stalingrad and where WW2 went south for the germans, really dont know why they always lead us to believe it was the bombs that finished everything though

Women's Football.

I did specifically refer it back to the topic title ;)

I appreciate it's not a particularly cultured view to have, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest, and from my personal experience, this puts me amongst the vast majority of people.

It's like most sports. The women's game is less popular because the standard is lower.

That's not sexist, it's just a fact. And as Conor says, people want to see the highest standard most of the time so women's football is going to suffer, just like the COnference North is hardly pulling in 40k crowds every week.

The difference is is that Women's football seems to have gotten a huge push in recent times, not just by the BBC.

And I'm sure it's probably worked. I'd wager interest has increased. But it's always going to be dwarfed by the male game

Women's Football.

Its great in a country like this because the women play it and understand it and want their children to play it as well.Not all kids want to be like their dad and not all dads have the last say.So, for countries like Australia,New Zealand, USA etc womens football is good for the game.

A guy from my office trying to order a pint of orange juice and lemonade from a waitress who spoke no English (we were in Spain) by just repeating it over and over, and then getting annoyed when she got the order wrong.

Washing machine that beeps non stop for like 3 minutes when the washing is done. Whoever thought that people needed to drop what they're doing and run to quickly empty the washing machine needs to die a painful death.

Wish mine did that. Went to put a load of washing on last night only to find the machine full of damp, mildewy clothes that had been sat in it since Thursday.

Â