Proudest moment as a Villan

limpid

That's another excellent article in a recent series, from Richard, Drat and now Malc.

It's good to read these tales, because not only are they entertaining and affirming in themselves, they remind us, or tell us anew what can happen in the future.

top work

That's another excellent article in a recent series, from Richard, Drat and now Malc.

It's good to read these tales, because not only are they entertaining and affirming in themselves, they remind us, or tell us anew what can happen in the future.

top work

Plus as much as I am sure it is a nice reminder for the older folk, for a young man such as myself (25) who wasn't around, it's always nice to hear about it from a source other than my family or something 'official'

Good on ya, you oldies :wink:

Malc

I was there too. What a fantastic performance by a third division side to be denied so cruelly. My wife (girlfriend then) said that when I got off the train at New street all i said was "we was robbed".

I still feel the same today about that match but i also beleive that was the day the Phoenix rose from the ashes.

great post.

• 7 years later...

For me this post sums up what it is to be a Villa fan. I am tired of all the ITK shit!

I have supported the Villa for 54 years and my proudest moment was standing on the Holte against Preston North End in November 1968 with just over 13,000 other Villa fans. We lost 0-1, went to the bottom of div 2 and were devastated beyond belief but I and 13,000+ other diehards never ever thought of turning away.

However in this Internet age, the above counts for **** all, long live the software!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3

One of the proudest moments was using every last penny I had at the time to become a shareholder, a part of MY club.

The day they were unwillingly taken off my hands was the day Lerner lost me.

Born in 1982, I missed all the good stuff. The hardest thing for fans of my age is reading about - and hearing stories from family members - of the GREAT moments.

I guess, beating Man United at Wembley to win the Coca Cola Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfRNhLD6EI

First time I saw my club win a trophy... I remember when we lost to Tranmere in the first leg of the semi, I was at school and people were all saying "Villa are rubbish" and all running up and down the playground doing the same, in the classroom they were doing it - and I cried  :rolleyes:

My best friend - and one who was taking the piss - was a Man United fan, so this final was so sweet!

But I long for success, like in the stories I have been told... videos I have watched... books I have read...  :(

• Like 3

Being only 22 I love those stories as well... but you know what guys? With the craved for statement about to be released, and us visiting the spurs again, lets make the history again, and let the phoenix rise once more....

CMON VILLA!!!!!!!

born in 65.was their at arsenal 81,rotterdam 82,old trafford 77.for me though getting promoted in 75 was awesome,with wembley as well that year also.we were back where we belonged after the dark days of tommy doc.still remember crying when i heard bruce rioch had left us for derby.

i saw both Coca Cola Cup wins when i was a youngster so I guess id have to say that. Im always proud when we beat the big boys, but that soon turns to embarrassment with the following 4 results. I was also pretty proud and smug in the O'Neill days when we were actually challenging at the top. The 7 straight away wins was good shit, I remember after we beat Utd at OT and Fergie came out and said "you now have to consider Villa in the title race"

A great story. I remember my first home game as a kid was going to VP to watch us play in the old third division.

The greatest personal memory for me (as I couldn't get to Rotterdam) was being at Highbury in !981 and although we lost we won the league and the number of coaches and cars with Villa flags and scarves draped over them and hanging out of windows all the way back up the M1 and M6 to Birmingham.

Finally then walking into my house where my bluenose father was waiting and just screaming out the word 'CHAMPIONS' as loud as I could.

Great times.

• Like 1

For me this post sums up what it is to be a Villa fan. I am tired of all the ITK shit!

I have supported the Villa for 54 years and my proudest moment was standing on the Holte against Preston North End in November 1968 with just over 13,000 other Villa fans. We lost 0-1, went to the bottom of div 2 and were devastated beyond belief but I and 13,000+ other diehards never ever thought of turning away.

However in this Internet age, the above counts for **** all, long live the software!

Yes Mike - I was there too 10 years old with my elder brother - and there at the civic hall for the 'revolution'. The 'crisis' today pales into comparison - we were at our lowest ebb, but we rose like a phoenix. I was proud to have been there through Div3 and then through to the Super Cup.

Just to add - I turned up along with the thousands (looked like it) when we the fans were asked to help the club because we were broke - the fan cleaned the ground - brought the paint etc and re-furbished the ground - at that time it was true - Villa fans would turn up in their thousands to watch the shirts dry on the washing line - but in this case it was watching the claret and blue paint dry.

Born in 1982, I missed all the good stuff. The hardest thing for fans of my age is reading about - and hearing stories from family members - of the GREAT moments.

I guess, beating Man United at Wembley to win the Coca Cola Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzfRNhLD6EI

First time I saw my club win a trophy... I remember when we lost to Tranmere in the first leg of the semi, I was at school and people were all saying "Villa are rubbish" and all running up and down the playground doing the same, in the classroom they were doing it - and I cried :rolleyes:

My best friend - and one who was taking the piss - was a Man United fan, so this final was so sweet!

But I long for success, like in the stories I have been told... videos I have watched... books I have read... :(

Yep I was born the same year so as you missed it all. Never even got to wembley for the two success' that we had in the 90's even though it was great to watch on telly.

Great article from Malc. 

The thing that resonated most with me was the reference to Monday mornings during the 1970-1 season and having to run the gauntlet of Blues fans (not so many Albion in my neck of the woods) talking about how poor Villa were compared with their mighty team.

One thing I remember very clearly about the morning after both matches against Man U was how the talk was all about Villa for a change. The fact that we lost the final was disappointing but, in a strange way, didn't matter so much. We had shown we could stand up and compete with the top first division sides and every Villa fan could feel good about the prospects for the future (even though the rest of the league season was pretty poor tbh).

I suppose a similar, but more small-scale, moment of sensing a real step forward came the next season in the home game against Bournemouth. It seems impossible to envisage now but Bournemouth were considered one of our main rivals for promotion and this was a key match - we had lost 0-3 at their place earlier in the season. We went 0-1 down but, helped massively by the crowd who struck up a chant of "Villa, Villa" that rippled round and round the ground, fought back to win 2-1.

I went home from that match knowing we would win promotion and the future really was looking bright.

Â