Proudest moment as a Villan

limpid

Every morning that I go to work @Old Trafford, the proudest moment is telling people I'm a Villa fan and seeing the look on their faces as to why I'm so vocal about it.

They'll appreciate it in time, when they're all jumping on the C&B bandwagon!

Same here, Although most of people who knows me could see the Villa flag in my facebook page . But many of them don't believe that I support Villa. Almost everyone asks me the same question how and why do you support Villa.

Every time I hear from my friends, You only no how to lose. That's why I like it when we beat the big boys !

Last time when we beat Chelsea, I was watching it with couple of my friends (One of them is British and Villa fan) anyway, Most of them were just laughing before the game and started to tell me you're only making yourself tired for trying to watch every game of this team even when you're only going to lose.

This feeling came to me three times maybe , Where I was watching with most of my friends (and my younger brother who usually laugh at me too). 

Liverpool, Chelsea this season. Sunderland 6-1 last season ! And the Chelsea game was lovely because Chelsea didn't lose since 15 games, so no one could say they're in a bad mode they've also smashed Arsenal the week after. Because people usually instead to give us praise they only give say the other team was bad !

I get proud when I have challenges with other teams fans from my friends, Arsenal fans or Chelsea or Liverpool or whatever ! They take it seriously because of me. 

Not sure if it's number 1, but I was very proud when I heard we'd let Acorns sponsor us.

Was about to post this very thing.

It was such a fingers up to the money grabbing nature of football.  This will always be Randys finest moment IMO!

• Like 3

born in 65.was their at arsenal 81,rotterdam 82,old trafford 77.for me though getting promoted in 75 was awesome,with wembley as well that year also.we were back where we belonged after the dark days of tommy doc.still remember crying when i heard bruce rioch had left us for derby.

The 74/75 season will always be my fav... 20k Villa at Hillsborough and running onto the pitch after we had beaten them 4-0...... We were invincible at the end of that season.... Ellis thrown in the bath by the players also....

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The last day of standing on the Holte vs Liverpool was an incredible day.  I think we were a goal down at half time (to the regular goal a season against us from Robbie Fowler) and you could have heard a pin drop during the first half.

I remember people shouting out 'What's the matter with everyone-Sing FFS'.

Then something happened, and the second half was a non-stop wall of noise.  We ended up winning 2-1 (I think Yorke got them both), and Big Ron came on the pitch at the end, addressed the Holte End and said 'You won us that game'.

• Like 1

Only 20, I was seven days old when we won the cup in 1994 and I can't remember 1996 either. I couldn't even get a ticket to the most recent final at wembley.

I know it's a bit of a weird one and I could probably think of better if I tried, but this season the first time Robinson got subbed on against Southampton at Villa park. 

A lot of Villa fans stood up and applauded him, he hadn't played a minute of premier league football but we all knew his name and we all knew what potential he had. That moment stands out to me for some reason. 

• Like 1

Seeing the pics of me as a baby with Villa Park (pics taken from Aston park) in the background. My parents were smart to do that!

From a team performance side, winning the League Cup when we beat Man United and stopped them from winning the treble.

Not sure if it's number 1, but I was very proud when I heard we'd let Acorns sponsor us.

It was such a fingers up to the money grabbing nature of football.  

Was it really? I doubt any other clubs gave a toss and its not like we, or anyone else have done the same thing since. It was just another PR token gesture, however positive in actual effect. Dont get me wrong, I'm not some tree-hugging hippy, I understand that's business but dont make it out to be something it wasnt.

More reminiscing about times past, this time from Malcolm.

1971 and all that.

First off we were in the Third Division and for fans such as me supporting the club was about travelling to and often losing at places like Huddersfield, Port Vale, Chesterfield and such.

Week in week out Monday morning was all about listening to Blues and Albion fans going on about our demise, telling us about the big games they were playing, comparing them to the shit we had to watch and how poor our club was. At times we couldn't buy a win and although you could see the squad improving under Crowe it wasn't doing that good by anyone's imagination, we were overall poor.

The league cup proved some interesting games as we progressed, Bristol Rovers forced us to a replay at Villa which we won 1-0, but even with Bruce Rioch dependably scoring from free kicks, a defence of Turnbull, Bradley, Aitken and the underrated Tiler kept the dodgy Dunn down to conceding few goals as we progressed through to one of the greatest night matches in Villa History just before Christmas on 23rd December 1970.

The week before we had miraculously held Manchester Utd at Old Trafford to a 1-1 draw but everyone in the media and most Villa Fans expected them to do enough come the replay. It didn't happen, on a cold night the real Villa fan awoke from the ashes, and drove the team to a memorable 2-1 victory, the noise was unbelievable, the emotion intense, beyond belief. As they say, you had to be there, belief came back and from there despite the defeat at Wembley Villa never looked back, from there the way really was up.

People talk now of how things have changed, how in time it will all get better, keep the faith, but back then that night, Villa fans started to hold their heads up high, no matter what went on around them, that night most Villa fans really did start to believe we could one day win in Europe. So came the day, coach load after coach load of fans travelled from Birmingham to take on the mighty Spurs, a team full of quality stars including Martin Chivers, England's star centre forward.

I think these days the rhetoric would say we enjoyed the day, we did, but we believed too and as the match progressed as Andy Lockhead kept getting on the end of Graydon's crosses and Rioch kept having shots on target the belief got harder, you really thought we had a chance. We shouted, we screamed, we believed, all match long, only the inexperience, lack of ability of Turnbull let us down, Chivers was too good. But even then, come their victory, come the presentation, come their victory run around the ground, only one thing could be heard. All over the London, all around the country on every TV and radio one thing was heard "Villa, Villa, Villa."

No fan base has before or since ever stolen the glory run, the glory from the Cup Winners. Every commentator, every newspaper was full of the fanatical fans from Brum.

God did the Blues and Albion fans suffer from then on, belief was back, and although it took some more time, the next season proved it as we swept out of the division with record crowds and some great performances backed by a belief never in my opinion ever seen again, not at Villa Park anyway.

I've had the fortune to watch us home and away as we climbed back all the way to the top of the Fist Division. As a result we had some great times in Europe home and away culminating in that great night in Rotterdam, again you had to be there, it was tremendous, it was unbelievable, it really was, in fact it was beyond belief as many there will have told you.

But that day at Wembley stadium when we LOST has to be my proudest moment as a Villa fan. We were underdogs, we were the poorer side, we were the away side, the fans, the Villa fans showed that we were Giants, we were excellent, we were beyond anyone else, we outshouted a top London side in Division 1 on their doorstep and the World saw it happen.

You can't beat that.

Not sure Brian Tiler was underated, he was just a crap player and boy did he get some stick from the Holte End. Ray Grayden never played in the 1971 Final, but great memories mate.

The last day of standing on the Holte vs Liverpool was an incredible day. I think we were a goal down at half time (to the regular goal a season against us from Robbie Fowler) and you could have heard a pin drop during the first half.

I remember people shouting out 'What's the matter with everyone-Sing FFS'.

Then something happened, and the second half was a non-stop wall of noise. We ended up winning 2-1 (I think Yorke got them both), and Big Ron came on the pitch at the end, addressed the Holte End and said 'You won us that game'.

I remember that game and Big Ron's speech. The best time I've ever had at Villa Park.

I was only 15 at the time. We went to that game in the day and then to a mate's party later that night. I even pulled! Fantastic day.

The fans were fantastic that day.

It was such a fingers up to the money grabbing nature of football.  This will always be Randys finest moment IMO!

Totally this. 

Â