Are You Afraid to Die?

maqroll

Not really. As long as its sudden or peaceful I'm not bothered. I'm more worried about whether its painful/drawn out than actually 'shutting down' as it were.

I'd never really thought about in depth before. Sounds really stupid, but I kind of subconsciously thought I was invincible.

But a few weeks ago I woke up and my very first thought of the day was, 'I'm going to die one day' and it absolutely terrified me.

I thought, 'from now on, I'm really going to start enjoying life'. Yesterday I was eating nik nak's on bed, in just my pants, so it's going well.

• Like 2

We are all going to die at some point and whilst I would rather it was when i'm in my 90's in a Thai brothel  , I could just as easily drop dead tomorrow

so I just get on with things and don't' worry about it  ..

Yeah I fear it.

I think when I get older I won't so much, but right now I do.

Thinking about what happens when you die terrifies me.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I don't live in fear of death. I don't let it get to me.

But when I actually think about it, it does scare me.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Yeah I fear it.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I don't live in fear of death. I don't let it get to me.

This.  I don't think about it, because I wind myself up when I do.

No, on the contrary. My life isn't actually going to get any better because it's already been as good as it was ever going to get. From now on it is just a slide into decrepitude. The only fear I have is death through drawn out illness, disease or injury.

It's not like there is anything to fear beyond death. As I once read someone put it, "You know what it was like before you were born? Well that's exactly what it's like after you die."

• Like 1

No, on the contrary. My life isn't actually going to get any better because it's already been as good as it was ever going to get. From now on it is just a slide into decrepitude. The only fear I have is death through drawn out illness, disease or injury.

It's not like there is anything to fear beyond death. As I once read someone put it, "You know what it was like before you were born? Well that's exactly what it's like after you die."

Mark Twain: “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
  • Like 1

Yeah I fear it.

This.  I don't think about it, because I wind myself up when I do.

I think you can add me to this list too. Apart from one thing. I fear that I will fear it more the older I get. My aunt was very afraid of dying and it got worse the older she got, and my mother starts to show the same fear, from time to time. I'm just afraid that I'll be the same. Right now I try not to think about. Which I don't do that often. But sometimes it hits me that it can end any time in any way.

Mark Twain: “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

There you go. I wasn't paraphrasing Twain myself but I suspect the person who wrote it was.

Im 38 and have started to think about it more and more over the last 12 months. I work myself into a right sweat, I know its daft but I get into a right panic. Can't really see a solution, I'm an atheist, so the made up bible books aren't any help to me.

Im 38 and have started to think about it more and more over the last 12 months. I work myself into a right sweat, I know its daft but I get into a right panic. Can't really see a solution, I'm an atheist, so the made up bible books aren't any help to me.

'Made up bible books' eh? 

You've no chance now mate. 

Â