Are You Afraid to Die?

maqroll

For those that are so chilled out have you experienced a close call?

Yeah ... Don't know how close I came to death but I got altitude sickness in the Himalayas .. Lost consciousness at one point but luckily got given a steroid jab of some description and put in a gamlow bag in time... Woman had died a few days before me at the same point as her guides didnt know about the bag and had tried to get her down the mountain in time and failed

We are all going to die at some point and whilst I would rather it was when i'm in my 90's in a Thai brothel

c'mon Tony, there is no way you'll still be working in your 90's

Quality :)

I was washed out to sea in Ghana while nightswimming. An undercurrent took me out and I was a good distance from the hotel and not a good swimmer. I was taken out maybe 40 metres and no sign of being washed back in with the waves breaking in front of me. I managed to get in front of a wave eventually by swimming quite hard. It brought me back in. My girlfriend at the time was still out there and I wasn't going back in. After another few minutes she was washed back in.

My thoughts initially were I'm completely screwed here and my father is going to be devastated. This is just the sort of thing I'd do. Drown in Ghana. There were also thoughts about how horrible it was going to be to actually drown. I was already struggling to keep my head above water and catch my breath because the sea was very rough. When watching my girlfriend still thrasing about in the waves panicked 30 metres from me on the shore, my thoughts were about what story I'd tell people and how I'd break the news to her parents, especially considering it was I who picked her up and dropped her into the sea.

By way of a post script, within 6 months a girl from the town I went to school in drowned in Ghana on a nearby stretch of coast

• Like 1

If I knew I was going to die tomorrow I'd be OK about it - I feel I've had a good life and thoroughly enjoyed it. But little or none of it was planned. 

I'm the same tbh. I'm only 30, but I've actually done quite a bit. Obviously I'd rather stick around for a while longer, but the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter regardless. Once I'm dead I'll cease to be, so the me that I was won't be around to remember anything I did or didn't do. Once my brain switches itself off I'm pretty sure I'll essentially never have existed, just like everyone else

Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

Yeah ... Don't know how close I came to death but I got altitude sickness in the Himalayas .. Lost consciousness at one point but luckily got given a steroid jab of some description and put in a gamlow bag in time... Woman had died a few days before me at the same point as her guides didnt know about the bag and had tried to get her down the mountain in time and failed

Yeah I nearly got killed by an avalanche.viewable on the internet I believe!

i would say neither dying nor death scare me, i don't get afraid of much really, i'm not looking to achieve a great deal in life, i just want a job that pays the bills and gives me a bit extra on top, a girlfriend/wife/kids would be nice when the time comes. The thing i fear most is cancer, i was very close to my mothers parents and they both died pretty long, painful deaths because of it, if i had to go through something like that i don't think i'd be strong enough

Couple of months ago i was driving home late and went round a corner a bit too quick in the rain, got flung off the road then right across the road and off the other side straight towards a fairly solid tree, then a telephone pole, miraculously avoided both just and went down into the ditch. It is worth pointing out that i drive a classic mini so the crumple zone was roughly the length of my legs. As i was going towards the pole i was just thinking "this is it" and i wasn't frightened or anything, i think it was just adrenaline keeping me in it. i think once i knew i wasn't dying the main concern was how i was gonna tell my mum tbh!

It's been said by people who have nearly drowned that once they knew they were going to die, they all felt a deep shame, which is not what I'd expect to hear. After the feeling of shame, they said a wave (sorry) of euphoria came over them, just before they died/survived.

My nan died recently in hospital.  The last time she went out of her home was to my wedding reception.  She wasn't the most loving or caring of people, but she loved her family.  I think we knew (before we were officially told by the doctors that she wasn't going to get better) that she wasn't going to come out of hospital.  

On the Friday before she died (on the Sunday) I was going down to the Cotswolds for the weekend, which my wife bought me for my birthday which was on the Monday.  I remember being a little torn about cancelling the trip but on the Friday I saw her, she was gasping for breath, tired, being beaten by a chest infection and the last thing she said to me was "Promise me you'll never get old, you take care of your new wife, look after yourself and have a happy birthday on Monday".

I left the hospital in bits but my mom told me that she'd want me to live my life and do all the things that would make me happy, so I went.  Obviously that was the last I saw my nan, but in a strange kind of way, it's the best goodbye anyone could ever give, really.  I'm certainly glad my last memory of her wasn't being unconscious and gasping for her last breaths.

But since then, I kind of have thought about my own mortality somewhat.  I've come to the conclusion that life is so **** short, you need to get the most out of every little part of it you can.  

I'm 26.  If I live another two of those, I'll be in my late 70s.  That scares me, the fact that I'm in the prime of my life and I have a mortgage, a steady job which I enjoy, but not enough to go travelling or do anything other than go on a holiday for a few hundred quid and I'm recently married.  What I do hate, and I mean really hate, is that I haven't got the option to say "I fancy doing this or that today" and actually being able to do it.  I find that, money and jobs and life gets in the way of living and experiencing new things.  I want to go and live in Canada, but to get there, I'd have to have around £30,000 in savings and a job lined up just to get there.  Why can't I just go over and live in Canada? or Australia? or with the penguins on the North Pole?  

I hate being part of a system which is more or less a factory line of human lives.  You're born, educated until 16 (or 18 or 21), you get a job, you get married, you work until you're 65 and then you can retire... and if you're lucky you can life for 20 years... Oh, but you can't really afford to do anything whilst you've retired because pensions are crap and your health probably won't be too great either.

Why do people live like this?  freedom to do what I want, when I want is the only reason I'd like to have a surplus of money.  I don't think we give ourselves long enough to get a full fulfillment of life.  If we lived for 200 years as an average, imagine if you could work for 100 and do what you wanted for the other 100.

I'm aware that obviously you'd work until 180, but that's not what's going on in my head :lol:

So, in conclusion, yes, I'm a little worried about death, but I'm more angry that the system of life as it seems to me, will restrict me from doing and seeing the things that seem important to me.. I think time, or the lack of it, is the real issue I'd be looking at.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 2

Not really. It's not something I seek to tempt in order to gain thrills, but I don't fear death. 

I do fear the manner of my death. I worry about incapacitation and loss of my wits, that for me would be worse than a sudden death. I'm 25 and have only experienced one death in my family, I am very lucky (and from a family of tough bastards, who live long and strongly). Even in my short life I feel fulfilled and if I were to go to the grave tomorrow I would feel as if I would be remembered as a good person.

The grief of death is worse than the occurrence itself and that is what I fear, I would not want to haunt my family and friends with painful memories, if I were to die suddenly. 

I don't fear death (and I've had my share of close calls), but I fear an unfulfilled life. I find infinitely more stress in feeling the clock tick than in the knowledge that it's going to stop someday.

I feel like death will just be like how it was before I was born. I remember absolutely nothing before I was born. I just didn't exist and I did this for billions of years. It kind of scares me to think that everything that I am and will be just will cease to exist sometime in the future. 

I question how and why I exist in this time period and not another. Why did I suddenly go from absolutely nothing to being alive? I'd like to believe there is an afterlife but I just don't see it as a reality. Why would something suddenly be different after I died? That is why I don't bother with religions and I just live my life as best as I can. If there is a god and an afterlife, I don't believe I'd be forsaken because I didn't cling to a religion while I was alive. 

Whether you're afraid to die or not it won't make a shit load of difference as you're going to die anyway.

We should all have the right to die with dignity and be able to ask for the injection we give to our pets when the time is right.

Edited by Morpheus

I'm afraid of dying prematurely - when I read stories like the fella from Spartacus (Andy Whitfield) the prospect really does terrify me. Other than that, I don't really think about it.

Not concerned in the slightest .  I am only 33 but I have seen seen and done enough to be content even if I were to go tomorrow.

I actually find it comforting knowing that death is the end .

My mum was always a bit morbid about anniversaries. She knew the date that everybody in our family had died, and tended to be a bit thoughtful and sad on those days. 

I never took any notice of all that stuff, and I felt she disapproved. Like I never remembered the date my dad died, and she couldn't understand why. 

She ended up in a cancer hospice. I was told by the lady in the next bed that she was in a surprisingly good mood on her last night, and when asked why she said: "I'm going home tomorrow". Which kind of surprised her fellow patient, as they both knew full well they wouldn't be leaving there alive. 

Anyway, she died during the night. 

On my birthday. 

To this day I'm convinced she did it on purpose - "He won't forget THIS one, the little bugger". 

Â