Are You Afraid to Die?

maqroll

40 next week which brings things into focus. I've always presumed I'd never make it this far so I guess everything is a bonus from here on in.

Having been indoctrinated from a very young age, I'm still prone to the occasional guilt trip that I'm not following the narrow path but as death isn't something I can change, I think I'm better off not thinking about it. When it happens I don't think I'll be any the wiser. I do worry about how loved ones would deal with it but I guess everyone has to and so long as I make sure they're provided for, that's about all I can do.

Exactly. Everybody dies. It's not like it's just picking on me.

It's a bummer when people die too young (like VT's own Paddy), but losing your grandparents and then parents is for most people just normal (if sad) experience.

Yet some people seem surprised by it. My sister in law lost her faith in religion when her dad died. But what did she expect? That God would make an exception for her relatives?

Just got to live as much as you can and cram as much as you can into the time you have got. People like paddy and irreverantad should teach us that time is finite and different for everyone so have as much fun as you can.

It scares the shit out of me in all honesty. 

But similar to Stevo, it worries me more that I could die tomorrow and without stating the blindingly obvious, I really don't want to die tomorrow. I think about death and time every day and I can't shake it, does my head in. 

I don't have any major investment in living, so the idea of being dead doesn't upset me too much. It's not as if I'd be lying in the ground thinking about all the sunsets I'm missing. What I am afraid of though is dying. Getting some horrible disease that is going to kill me, but not before I suffer for a long time and become a burden on my family and friends. I would say my main goal in life is to die quickly and suddenly. Anything else is secondary. I'll take a plane crash or a crazed gun-wielding lunatic or massive heart attack or that SADS thing. All of those sound pretty good. Ideally upon death, I'll be quite philosophical about the whole thing, but I'll more than likely be shitting my pants and asking for just one more day. And then my book will be finished. And the atoms that clung together while I died can find new homes for themselves in plants and birds and things. I'll live on in photographs and maybe even some DNA I'll pass on to some one who will tell stories of how horrible I was to them while they were growing up

Getting old scares me far more than death itself. I don't want to be old. I don't fear death at all...  there's something quite peaceful about it. (no, i'm not religious and thinking of Heaven).

Edited by PieFacE

Yet some people seem surprised by it. My sister in law lost her faith in religion when her dad died. But what did she expect? That God would make an exception for her relatives?

That is really odd.

That is really odd.

Isn't it just? My wife (her sister) also finds it odd - I mean he was her dad, too, and she was upset - but then she was already agnostic, and she can't see why it should have any effect in terms of religious belief.

Not in the slightest. I'm far more worried about any prospect of my parents having to bury me as I've an idea what that would do to them. I'm also dreading losing either of them. But personally, death would be fine.

I'm more afraid to post what I would honestly post in this thread :)

Go on then....

Not so much death itself, as dying before I've reached my potential.

Potential for what?

Not of the idea of death itself, as I imagine it'll be much like before I was born, but absolutely terrified of those last few painful moments before it actually happens. Hopefully I'll die in my sleep.

Interesting responses about not wanting to die before achieving goals/potential. 

Maybe I'm just not ambitious, but I've never had any such life goals, I've always just cruised and let things happen. 

If I knew I was going to die tomorrow I'd be OK about it - I feel I've had a good life and thoroughly enjoyed it. But little or none of it was planned. 

We are all going to die at some point and whilst I would rather it was when i'm in my 90's in a Thai brothel  

c'mon Tony, there is no way you'll still be working in your 90's

• Like 3

Â