Are You Afraid to Die?

maqroll

No, on the contrary. My life isn't actually going to get any better because it's already been as good as it was ever going to get. From now on it is just a slide into decrepitude. The only fear I have is death through drawn out illness, disease or injury.

It's not like there is anything to fear beyond death. As I once read someone put it, "You know what it was like before you were born? Well that's exactly what it's like after you die."

Yeah I think that sometimes but other times I ain't too happy about impending demise. I mean, you can't get any pussy when you're dead.

Reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/Rd484mpvF3s

No, on the contrary. My life isn't actually going to get any better because it's already been as good as it was ever going to get. From now on it is just a slide into decrepitude. The only fear I have is death through drawn out illness, disease or injury.

It's not like there is anything to fear beyond death. As I once read someone put it, "You know what it was like before you were born? Well that's exactly what it's like after you die."

I mean, you can't get any pussy when you're dead.

That's likely true but in my case death really isn't in any way going to degrade my ability to get pussy so I won't lose on the deal! :crylaugh:

yes, i do fear death, as i don't want to die.

I think we'll be able to stop the ageing process within the next 30 years, so as long as i can survive that long, i'll probably live forever (barring accidents). 

I wouldn't want immortality. But if I could get some sort of guarantee that I'd live to be an old man, I'd be happy.

You should add: "in good health".

What I fear is the combination of old age and serious infirmity (especially Alzheimers, which my dad had). If that's the future, I'd rather check out early with a quick heart attack.

Edited by mjmooney

I wouldn't want immortality. But if I could get some sort of guarantee that I'd live to be an old man, I'd be happy.

What I fear is the combination of old age and serious infirmity (especially Alzheimers, which my dad had). If that's the future, I'd rather check out early with a quick heart attack.

yeah, i agree with that.

but i would assume that by the time we can stop the 'disease' of old age, we should be able to stop other conditions as well.

My grandma had Alzheimer's as well - something similar anyway, she was very senile - and I often pitied her for having to live in such a state.

But I do wonder sometimes, is being senile really that bad for the patient him/herself? If you were sufficiently senile, you wouldn't be able to recall traumatic events, and you wouldn't begrudge anyone for losing your ability to read, because you wouldn't even have the desire to. Ignorance is bliss, right?

My grandma had Alzheimer's as well - something similar anyway, she was very senile - and I often pitied her for having to live in such a state.

But I do wonder sometimes, is being senile really that bad for the patient him/herself? If you were sufficiently senile, you wouldn't be able to recall traumatic events, and you wouldn't begrudge anyone for losing your ability to read, because you wouldn't even have the desire to. Ignorance is bliss, right?

It's a fair point. A lot of the time, the sufferer is "away with the fairies", wandering in their own memories and fantasies - arguably the relatives and carers have the greater stress watching the process from the outside.

But the problem comes when fragments of reality break through, which causes confusion, distress and often panic. Like an acid trip gone bad, I suspect.

Do not want. :(

It's a fair point. A lot of the time, the sufferer is "away with the fairies", wandering in their own memories and fantasies - arguably the relatives and carers have the greater stress watching the process from the outside.

But the problem comes when fragments of reality break through, which causes confusion, distress and often panic. Like an acid trip gone bad, I suspect.

Do not want. :(

I don't recall that my grandma ever had those moments. My aunt does (she visited more regularly), but they were mostly happy moments, they were never distressful ones.

The worst bit is when they don't recognise you. Yes, it can be quite touching, when it suddenly dawns on them who you are, and they greet you like they haven't seen you for years.

But in my dad's case there was a lot more paranoia - "Who are you, and what are you doing in my house?" -type stuff. Horrible.

I think we'll be able to stop the ageing process within the next 30 years

Really?! The way we're going in general, I'd think it more likely that we'd cease to exist at all in 30 years!

This was true of my nan, whilst at first it was hard for her eventually she knew no different and seemed mainly happy. Whereas my granddad kept his mental health and suffered with almost everything bar cancer. 

I think we'll be able to stop the ageing process within the next 30 years

Really?! The way we're going in general, I'd think it more likely that we'd cease to exist at all in 30 years!

I hope not, it means I've just starting paying into my pension for no reason.

Â