Where will we finish ?

Im not sure where all the positivity is coming from. We have some difficult fixtures coming up and we are only 5 points of relegation. With lower teams showing stronger form with new signings, surely its a worrying time again for us.

We also have some very winnable games coming up

on 27, 4 wins and a few draws will see us safe, with west ham, hull, Fulham, stoke, Norwich to play at home and palace, Cardiff away we should get that

I said 14th at the start of the season & ill stick to that

Given how tight the league is from 10th to 19th it is almost impossible to predict.

If Vlaar, Gabby, Benteke and Delph stay fit and play the vast majority of our remaining games then we will finish well outside the drop zone. If one or two of those are out for an extended period then we will really struggle.

For me we failed in the transfer window by not filling the gaping holes in our squad and strengthening in key positions. Be that signing long term solutions or short term fixes we failed and could yet pay a big price for those failings.

The beauty about the bottom half of the table is that so many teams take points off each other.

3 more wins & a couple of draws will be enough

A run in similar to last seasons should see us challenging for 10th. Can't see us climbing any higher, even given the problems Southampton seem to be having.

10th must be the aim.

• Like 1

With the way the league is, there are virtually no 'average' games- we're either playing teams battling for the top 8, or teams who are fighting to stay out of the relegation zone. Southampton and Newcastle are the only mid-table clubs at the moment. So many of the games we play will have big consequences for the league. West Ham next week is an example.

A win against wham next weeks will put us on 30 points, the teams below us play

Crystal Palace V West Brom

Norwich V Man City

Southampton V Stoke

Sunderland V Hull

Swansea V Cardiff

man u v Fulham

This time next week we will still be 5 clear of the bottom 3 even if we lose because, there aren't many results that can go 'against' us

Personally I think we will avoid relegation. But if for any reason we are struggling to stay up again or even, perish the thought, we go down, I think due to the almost zero activity in the January transfer market, we can expect serious 'meltdown' on the biggest scale!!!!

Personally I won't relax until we get to 40pts & anything after that is a massive bonus.

I am not disagreeing with you but I have read this on here for the last three seasons. It is heartbreaking that this is what this great club has been reduced to.

• Like 1

Surely we've just played the difficult fixtures, Liverpool and Everton away and Arsenal at home looks as tough as any prem club has had in the last few weeks? Mind you I thought that in November and when it got easier in December we started losing to some poor teams.

I don't see why we can't go to Cardiff and win, despite beating Norwich they were hanging on for dear life after going 2-1 up and even with some new signings they still look a poor team. I don't see why we can't go to a depressed Newcastle and nick a point (annoying though that's the first game Remy will be back for after his ban). Home games as ever are more difficult to call but really West Ham and Norwich should be 4 points. Wouldn't shock me if it's 2 draws though.

Surely we've just played the difficult fixtures, Liverpool and Everton away and Arsenal at home looks as tough as any prem club has had in the last few weeks? Mind you I thought that in November and when it got easier in December we started losing to some poor teams.

I don't see why we can't go to Cardiff and win, despite beating Norwich they were hanging on for dear life after going 2-1 up and even with some new signings they still look a poor team. I don't see why we can't go to a depressed Newcastle and nick a point (annoying though that's the first game Remy will be back for after his ban). Home games as ever are more difficult to call but really West Ham and Norwich should be 4 points. Wouldn't shock me if it's 2 draws though.

Draws won't harm a lot as it won't make the gap further ..

Saying that .. I really hope we win most of these games .. Starting with West Ham !

What is depressing is how nowadays we found it so difficult to even accumulate 40 points in a season, even in average seasons before we used to get to 40 points by April at the latest, getting between 45-50 this season despite playing at times very poorly would at least give a bit more hope than just scrapeing past 40.

If Palace can be 14th with 2/3rds of the season gone having been largely shit,

Ah, were they being that when they beat us at home?

If so, what does that make us...?

Notthisagain.gif

Yes, this again. If people on here are deluded enough to start calling other clubs "shit" without recognising that our magnificent haul of 24 points and 6 wins (1 fewer than Palace, BTW) deserves the same label, they warrant a teensy bit of challenge.

Palace are shit. 15 defeats in 24 matches and 15 goals scored suggest so. Pulis is doing a good job turning it around from Holloway's mess but you can't say that they are a good team. We have been largely shit at home hence the 1-0 nil defeat to the eagles on boxing day. At present we are nothing more than a average premier league club trying to stay up, and it would be daft to saying anything else. Any pretence of trying to reach european places are long gone. Some of mid table finish with 4-5 more points than last season would be deemed a success and Lambert doing a reasonable job given the money limits he has.

What is depressing is how nowadays we found it so difficult to even accumulate 40 points in a season, even in average seasons before we used to get to 40 points by April at the latest, getting between 45-50 this season despite playing at times very poorly would at least give a bit more hope than just scrapeing past 40.

Still lots of the season left.

The beauty about the bottom half of the table is that so many teams take points off each other.

3 more wins & a couple of draws will be enough

A run in similar to last seasons should see us challenging for 10th. Can't see us climbing any higher, even given the problems Southampton seem to be having.

10th must be the aim.

Spot on. 40 points will be more than enough this season so 3 wins and 2/3 draws will suffice. It's not unrealistic to think we can get 3 wins out of the next 4 games and then maybe we can relax to a certain degree.

Yeah whilst it's tight at the bottom, 7 of those team have to show better form than us for the rest of the season for us to be involved in a relegation battle. This season has just been so unbelievably unpredictable its unlikely we'll drop more points than 7 other teams. I think we'll be okay. Though, if Vlaar gets injured for a lengthily period of time I think we could drop.

Â