Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Definitely agree that the gap to the top 6 has been closed, but I still think the top 4 is a bridge too far. The league has definitely become stronger but the only way for anyone to finish in the top 4 outside of the traditional is for 1 or more clubs to have bad seasons by their standards.

Last year we were above Chelsea for a good portion of the first half of the season, but you could hardly say we were competing as we all knew it was fleeting. We even took 4 points off them. We were playing at our maximum and them at their lowest. Once a competent manager took over, they finished in the top 4 and won the CL. That's all it takes for these clubs to switch back on. United sack Ole and hire a top manager and suddenly they'll find a way to get the best out of their 73m 20 year old near-world class winger and the rest of their immense squad.

Things start to get bad, and they can throw money at things that we just can't. There will always be some gap. It might be smaller than it used to be, but it's always there and they can always manufacture one if things start to get uncomfortable for them. We missed our opportunity in 2010 unfortunately. 

I think that's absolutely true in a long-term world - very tough for a team to break the top 4 and stay there.

• Like 1

If this was us being taken over by the Saudi's I wouldn't stop supporting the club because it's something I'd have no control over but I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the street celebrating it.  Even if it had happened in our darkest hour.

As we are now, I wouldn't even want to swap NSWE for them without all the ethical issues. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I think that's absolutely true in a long-term world - very tough for a team to break the top 4 and stay there.

True, we can probably do it on one-off occasions with a perfect storm scenario. Like you say, the problem is staying there. Before FFP, we could absolutely do it. Spurs did it. Grew their brand quickly and effectively. Don't think there's that potential for growth anymore. Leicester have been in and around that area for a few seasons now but I don't think their revenue has been growing significantly.

43 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But as it is to get CL they need 11+ new players which will set them back somewhere near £500m

They would be doing well to get 11+ players for 500m that would get them into CL football. We have spent 350m and are nowhere near it. Jack 100m and Lukaku 98m and u have only 300m left for the other 10+ players. Having a budget of 500m is akin to picking a Fantasy team, it all starts off easily but then u have 12.5m left and u need 3 more players.

Toon would need 1Bn+ to get 11+ new players that would give them CL and that is assuming they all work out. There will be some players that just don't work out and they will need to be offloaded and replaced. It is going to be very difficult for Toon to sell players as they will be signing players on massive wages and no other club will want them.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd have Pogba in the side.  I reckon I'd take 5 Villa to 6 Man Utd - but the fact you think everyone else would be tit for tat kind of demonstrates that they aren't really "no where **** near" us.

Go a few pages back in the utd thread and you'll see someone say Varane is shit, that's what I meant by tit for tat, it's opinion vs opinion, no doubt a lot would take konsa over maguire, I'd take Watkins over ronaldo (!) 

20 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I need this verifying and it will take a hell of a lot of investigating... I'm convinced that Amanda Staveley is Prince Andrew, tell me I'm wrong.

If the Wikipedia page is anything to go by they were close. Maybe she just got too old

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Go a few pages back in the utd thread and you'll see someone say Varane is shit, that's what I meant by tit for tat, it's opinion vs opinion, no doubt a lot would take konsa over maguire, I'd take Watkins over ronaldo (!) 

The difference is, if they're not liking the fact that they have players that clubs like us would take our own players over, they can always replace them for 50m+ a pop...something that we can't do now. Our record signing is like 33m and those are like huge marquee signings to us. They can just spend 50m on a fullback and it's whatever to them. They might even be underwhelmed :lol:

So this is probably the end for Brucie then probably retire on the payout he will get from this. Go off and watch some cricket at his leisure. So we can at least thank the oil barons for getting rid of one more dinosaur. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

We are the definitely the ones who could get closest but I don't think we'll ever be able to breach the top 4 imo. Newcastle just might with some creative sponsorship deals. As rich as NSWE are, I don't think they have the unlimited clout the Saudis do unfortunately.

Could NSWE bring in a third partner for added financial muscle...

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We've spent about 350m in the last 3 seasons to build what is a midtable squad. Newcastle are a loooong way off building a squad that will challenge for anything significant. Their squad is awful.

The trajectory we are on is going to be the same as NUFC - you spend pretty much what you can to jump a few places every season. This season is a bit different in that we've banked the Grealish cash. I hope we carry on, and stay ahead. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

No way around the fact that this is bad news for Aston Villa, Everton, West Ham, Leicester, Arsenal and Spurs. Toon have been reliably shit for years. Their money should see them entrenched in the top 6.

Dean Smith does not start a match thinking we haven't got a chance - we start games thinking we have a chance. No way is it written in this way. We have money and we have nous, we will be fine. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Sure, but they could potentially add hundreds or thousands of smaller ones. We don't have that kind of gravity.

Maybe get Bill Windsor to chip in a few quid?

The Saudis are used to a wonderful controllably life - do they realise that they have just given ALL their opponents a platform for criticism? XR are blocking motorways in the face of Boris Fing Johnson - do the house of saud have any appreciation of our ability to be words removed? This is very different to football money from before - there will be worldwide broadcasts of NUFC which will be vandalised by protestors -  I wager that the Saudis are deluded and will **** off when they realise. 

Â