Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

According to local journalists apparently this deal is actually done 😳 except for a fit and proper persons test which should be an easy win with the morally corrupt Premier League

• Like 1

I look forward to the money being used as a from of state-washing, just like the WWE deal. Cannot see the Premier League turning this down. Newcastle fans will soon realise this isn’t career mode on FIFA. 

so this will soon be lets all laugh at Newcastle's ridiculous transfer speculation...

link i saw this morning starts with "once allegri is appointed manager" and goes on to say they'll be getting vidal and cuadrado

I could live with that, vidal is 32, cuadrado is 31, £30m for each and £200k a week in wages on 5 year deals

The financial arms of nation states shouldn’t be runnning football clubs. Same with Man City. It should be blocked. It won’t. But it should. Could easily be a false dawn for Newcastle though. Another cash cow. 

• Like 1

Don't doubt for a second that Bin Salman will pass the fit and proper test but it will be interesting to see how the PL handles any fans if they bring a Jamal Khashoggi flag or banner to the stands.

16 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I genuinely don't think I could get behind this if it happened to us.

Ditto.

and I also think “what’s the point” when this kind of thing can happen.

I've fallen utterly out of love with football and I haven’t missed it. I think when I move back to the UK it’s going to be non-league local football only for me. 

14 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The financial arms of nation states shouldn’t be runnning football clubs. Same with Man City. It should be blocked. It won’t. But it should. Could easily be a false dawn for Newcastle though. Another cash cow

I doubt it sadly. Much easier ways to make cash. I doubt the Abu Dhabi royal family profit from Man City. It’s just a fun project for the owners. 

On 17/04/2020 at 03:43, thunderball said:

It will make little difference. Newcastle won’t be top of the list of destinations for most top tier players; Wages: they will have to pay through the nose for anyone half decent.

FFP will nail any ambition, just like us. You can only do so much but without Champions League you can’t progress, and that’s a closed shop. FFP is the biggest threat to football, but those at the top bathing in champagne, flying in private jets, chauffeur driven everywhere, staying in 5 star hotels and emptying holdall’s full of £100 notes on their beds along side the gifted £25K Rolex’s won’t see it that way. Rome will fall in time....

Bruce won’t last long though.

How? They’re untouchable. 

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

I doubt it sadly. Much easier ways to make cash. I doubt the Abu Dhabi royal family profit from Man City. It’s just a fun project for the owners. 

Bit more and a sinister side to it than that, the term is sportswashing and it's the same for Qatar, Saudi, China, Azerbaijan and so on.

Long read.

Sportswashing: how Saudi Arabia lobbies the US's largest sports bodies

Saudi Arabia’s relatively sudden interest in sports can be construed as a soft power tactic to help distract from the kingdom’s ongoing human rights abuses and the Yemen crisis

Last month, the foreign registration documentation for Saudi Arabia’s 2018 lobbying campaign in the United States were made available online. The documents shed light on the kingdom’s aggressive sportswashing strategy that included meetings and business calls with the commissioners for Major League Soccer (MLS), Major League Baseball (MLB), as well as officials from the National Basketball Association (NBA), World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and the Los Angeles Olympic Committee.

Saudi Arabia’s strategic interest in sports and entertainment events dates back to November 2016 when crown prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the kingdom’s General Sports Authority – the government body responsible for the development of sports in the kingdom – to set up a Sports Development Fund that bolstered sports activity in the country. The objectives of the fund were to privatize football clubs to increase participation, promote new sports events, and add 40,000 jobs to the economic marketplace as part of Vision 2030, a development proposal that laid out a modern, technocratic future for Saudi Arabia in which the country would be free of its heavy dependence on oil...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/02/sportswashing-saudi-arabia-sports-mohammed-bin-salman

23 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I agree I think, but couldn't be certain.

I'm more aware of sportswashing than ever before. Maybe some have always been savvy.

If Abramovich had bought us for example, I'd have had no problem watching Mourinho and the titles roll in. City equally, I don't remember that much news being around, could be wrong, it just passed me by.

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I agree I think, but couldn't be certain.

I'm more aware of sportswashing than ever before. Maybe some have always been savvy.

If Abramovich had bought us for example, I'd have had no problem watching Mourinho and the titles roll in. City equally, I don't remember that much news being around, could be wrong, it just passed me by.

Has probably become a lot messier and maybe more high profile with Saudis because they killed a journalist. If was somebody with less relevance to the media it probably would have been swept under like other regimes. 

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has probably become a lot messier and maybe more high profile with Saudis because they killed a journalist. If was somebody with less relevance to the media it probably would have been swept under like other regimes. 

Crazy that story.

Wonder how many journalists will call them out when they take over.

The ideal scenario is that this is big Mike Ashley-ness.

Edited by Tomaszk

16 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Crazy that story.

Wonder how many journalists will call them out when they take over.

The ideal scenario is that this is big Mike Ashley-ness.

Miguel Delaney is apparently taking lots if abuse online already from Newcastle fans, though I think his newspaper is partially Saudi owned

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Miguel Delaney is apparently taking lots if abuse online already from Newcastle fans, though I think his newspaper is partially Saudi owned

Though I don't like Delaney at all, he's copped it from propaganda City bots plenty of times.

Sad state of affairs, which we see in politics constantly now where people don't care about right/wrong. It's just wild partisan support for the side they've decided to support. Doesn't matter about facts, I'm right, you're wrong.

• Like 1

sky sauce understands that the potential new owners will give steve bruce until the end of the season to prove that he's the man to lead them on a European push

See the source image

wonder if sky are lining up their token defence of those pesky foreigners not understanding our game when the answer is "no he's **** not"

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

First job aack bruce in summer get a big manager in. Probably rafa id imagine again.

Problem is though even with all that money its bloody difficult to break in the top four. When city did it you didnt have a club as stinking rich as city were. When chelsea did it the same.

Now you have various clubs with really wealthy owners. City chelsea liverpool leicester wolves united etc

Hell if we were more successful you could even argue us.

On 19/04/2020 at 12:00, DCJonah said:

What do you mean if this happened to us?

Our owners aren't that much behind them in terms of wealth.

We've got the 4th richest owners in the country. We've spent 100+ million just this season. 2nd highest spenders in Europe

• Like 1

Â