Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

I have to remind myself that it doesn't really matter if Newcastle are top or midtable. The stain remains: It's a corrupt organisation fueled by a repressive regime that terrorises the vulnerable, and that character is showing no signs of softening.  

Sportswashing
In pursuit of this, Saudi Arabia is turning itself into a global sports superpower as part of its so-called "sportswashing" strategy. Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund has invested billions in PGA golf, hosting heavyweight boxing tournaments, and bringing some of the world's most famous soccer players to compete in its domestic league.

But obstacles remain for the crown prince in his quest to cement and expand his global influence — not least his continued determination to crush dissent.

In recent months, he has launched a campaign to punish critics of his Neom megacity project. Business Insider in August reported that Saudi authorities had jailed a series of dissidents for up to 30 years in punishment for questioning the decision by Saudi authorities to forcibly oust people living on land where the city will be built.

If the crown prince's authoritarian instincts and impulsiveness again lead him to punish a critic beyond Saudi Arabia's border, relations with the US could again go into tailspin, and the kingdom's glossy new image could be irreparably tarnished.

But for now, said Cafiero, the crown prince's determination to make a success of his Vision 2030 plans is restraining his capacity for reckless aggression.

"He understands that those kinds of actions undermine the prospects for a successful economic diversification of the Saudi economy," said Cafiero.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

7.20 xg against them tonight,  that must be a Premier League record. 35 shots for Liverpool

Prepare for a miraculous injury list recovery for most of their walking wounded just before the game at Villa Park...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Was that right they've lost 7 out of their last 8 in all competitions? I mean that trend is difficult to undo particularly with tough fixtures to come.

Who do you want to play when you're on a terrible run to get out of it 😬😬😬

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Prepare for a miraculous injury list recovery for most of their walking wounded just before the game at Villa Park...

As true as this will be, some of them haven't played in a long time - they wont be match fit. If we hit them the way we did at Villa Park last season we can blow them away again

• Like 1

Think January will be make or break for Howe, they should beat Sunderland (but it's a derby, so who knows).  I'd expect City to beat them in the league, which means his job could rely on a win versus us at home 😎

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Think January will be make or break for Howe, they should beat Sunderland (but it's a derby, so who knows).  I'd expect City to beat them in the league, which means his job could rely on a win versus us at home 😎

Sunderland game feels kind of massive, doesn't it? Out of Europe, pretty much out of the Champions League race, the one chance to salvage the season really is winning the FA Cup, and he ends up with a 3rd round tie against the local rivals who will go into it with no pressure and nothing to lose (saw someone point out on Twitter that Sunderland's entire squad cost 20% of Isak). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Sunderland game feels kind of massive, doesn't it? Out of Europe, pretty much out of the Champions League race, the one chance to salvage the season really is winning the FA Cup, and he ends up with a 3rd round tie against the local rivals who will go into it with no pressure and nothing to lose (saw someone point out on Twitter that Sunderland's entire squad cost 20% of Isak). 

I hope if nothing else they boot them off the pitch

• Like 1

The players are starting to lose belief in him i reckon. When you are being flogged like a dead horse and your manager doesnt change his philosophy/ stupidness then this is what happens. Howe way the lads 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I see their fanbase isnt so cocky anymore

HAWAY MAN IT'S COZ OV ALL THE INJURIES WHAV HAD YA NA. WE'RE NAE COCKY, WE'RE THE BEST FANS IN THE LAND - WE'LL SHOUT AT WOR LADS FOR NAE PASHUN AT BOURNEMOUTH MIND, EH? 

TOON TOON BARMY ARMY. NUMBA NIIIINE

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

T***s are going strong for this, is it the only trophy they can win?

Come on Sunderland!

Sky probably telling people they are still in the title race 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Sky probably telling people they are still in the title race 

I watched a video on YouTube of Matt Letissier from 2 weeks back, he said they'd get top four 🙄

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

T***s are going strong for this, is it the only trophy they can win?

Come on Sunderland!

Can't be true. They're decimated by injuries, I tell you. DECIMATED © Sky Sports

• Thanks 1

Â