Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

33 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Intent ought to be the sole criterion. Isn't that how it used to be?  Quite simple really.  The position of the arms is already included in that, i.e. if you extend your arms intentionally to give you a better chance of blocking the ball, then it's a penalty. 

That is probably the worst criteria to go by. How can you possibly asses if someone intended to do anything? 

Even if an arm is stretched out, you don't know if it's intentional or the body movement carried the arm that way.

Surely you can't use intent- there must be better criteria. 

55 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

That is probably the worst criteria to go by. How can you possibly asses if someone intended to do anything? 

Even if an arm is stretched out, you don't know if it's intentional or the body movement carried the arm that way.

I agree it's not always easy, and technology and views from multiple angles seem to have made it harder. But that's how I remember the law from way back. If intent wasn't clear and obvious (haha) it wasn't given.

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Common sense 😉

I think part of the problem is they're trying to enforce a rule as it is written down, removing flexibility and interpretation in an attempt to increase consistency, they're trying to make it rigid

The problem is too many elements of football simply don't work like that, handball being one of them, it's why they've changed the wording of the rule so many times over the last 5 years, they don't actually know themselves what is the best way to do it, which messes with us fans, in an attempt to make it more consistent they've ended up with something that no one wants and isn't what people remember football being which ironically makes it seem more inconsistent 

Offside is the same 

• Like 1

I understand why Newcastle fans are frustrated, but at the same time it doesn't sit right that you can win the ball back by using your arm (inentional or not), gain an advantage and clear the ball.

I do feel like indirect free-kicks would be at least some kind of concession on either side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I understand why Newcastle fans are frustrated, but at the same time it doesn't sit right that you can win the ball back by using your arm (inentional or not), gain an advantage and clear the ball.

I do feel like indirect free-kicks would be at least some kind of concession on either side.

I think indirect free kicks in the penalty area for fouls would also reduce the amount of diving. It’s not perfect, but it’ll be an improvement for sure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think indirect free kicks in the penalty area for fouls would also reduce the amount of diving. It’s not perfect, but it’ll be an improvement for sure.

I think indirect free kicks for handballs outside the six yard box and for fouls where it's not the last man would make a lot of sense. The fact you can get a penalty when someone is fouled while standing at the edge of a crowded box facing away from goal is really disproportionate to the offence. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I think indirect free kicks for handballs outside the six yard box and for fouls where it's not the last man would make a lot of sense. The fact you can get a penalty when someone is fouled while standing at the edge of a crowded box facing away from goal is really disproportionate to the offence. 

I disagree - it stops players from just piling in on an attacker when they're in the box.  The closer to goal a player is, the greater the chance of a goal being scored.  If you remove the award of penalties for fouls, you're handing a ridiculous advantage to the defending side.

I could get behind it on handballs, though.  Or... non-deliberate handballs maybe.

Watching them again yesterday . They really do play at a million miles per hour at every stage of the game. It's not a bit of wonder they get the injuries they do

It's really exciting to watch as a neutral but they very rarely just put their foot on the ball and have some control or set the tempo or anything like that

• Like 1

Eddie Howe can spot a player can't he. Turned Gordon from a blind alley throw your hands in the air player to a team first pressing machine. Livramento looks like he is the second coming of Gareth Bale in many ways. Guimares is back to his best. 

Â