Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Would love to know about those legally binding assurances the Premier League received, given that the Saudi Arabian crown prince is discussing how his sports campaign is going to boost GDP.

No?  Nothing?  Very surprising.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2023 at 08:51, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Everyone's favourite team apparently?

Wish the media wouldn't force this on people however I guess Saudi influenced UK government, PL and media . Just so blatant...

Yeah, with their loveable fan's .... 

Big fat balding men, who dont wear shirts and wouldn't look out of place in a sumo ring.

The new Saudi National Team. MBS is pushing Britons' faces in it. Of course, the kits are just a visible symptom. Hard for me to understand how the UK government can allow this or let an English club become a petty client vassal of that corrupt kingdom. There's something deeply disturbing about it all.  

spacer.png

Saudi Arabia crown prince Mohammed bin Salman says he does not care about accusations of 'sportswashing'.

The Gulf kingdom has been accused of investing in sport and using high-profile events to improve its international reputation.

Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) led the takeover of Newcastle United last year and launched LIV Golf.

"If sportswashing is going to increase my GDP by 1%, then we'll continue doing sportswashing," Bin Salman said.

He told Fox News: "I don't care [about the term]. I have 1% growth in GDP from sport and I am aiming for another 1.5%.

"Call it what you want - we are going to get that 1.5%."

Saudi Arabia has been criticised for its human rights violations - 81 men were executed on one day last year - women's rights abuses, the criminalisation of homosexuality, the restriction of free speech and the war in Yemen.

Its international standing was severely damaged by the 2018 killing of Jamal Khashoggi, a US-based Saudi journalist who was a prominent critic of the government.

Human rights campaigners say sport is being used by the Saudi government to distract from long-standing reputation issues.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The new Saudi National Team. MBS is pushing Britons' faces in it. Of course, the kits are just a visible symptom. Hard for me to understand how the UK government can allow this or let an English club become a petty client vassal of that corrupt kingdom. There's something deeply disturbing about it all.  

spacer.png

And conveniently the women in that picture are on the flanks so when it's used in Saudi Arabia they are easily edited out 

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Last 2, beat Brentford and Sheffield United, what a team! Lets see how well they do in the week against Man City in the cup. 😂

Citeh will play the under 21s and Paper Mache Shins because they don’t care

14 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Newcastle was in a relegation dog fight a couple of seasons ago.

I did not expect this. Don't think anyone did.

I did

Its happening quicker than expected but with unlimited money uts only a matter of time until they start winning everything 

Games dead

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Newcastle was in a relegation dog fight a couple of seasons ago.

I did not expect this. Don't think anyone did.

I think I recall reading quite a few posters slanting Howe, "he won't last, he's out his depth, Newcastle are shit etc."

So that's probably why no one expected it, because they had already convinced themselves it wouldn't happen in the first place.

No real shock. A sports washing operation suddenly doing well. Won't be long before they can buy their own silverware too like Man City have been able to.

You never know, they also might have a nice incentive of breaking FFP rules 115 times that they also need to fulfil.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I did

Its happening quicker than expected but with unlimited money uts only a matter of time until they start winning everything 

Games dead

As much as they've spent money, this isn't some teams of established superstars.

They've spent really well.

Â