Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Why aren't we Newcastle? 

Nothing like knowing you're being run by a sovereign wealth fund (and being ordained as the 'next big club' by the media) to suddenly boost morale and instil belief.

To me, there's no mystery as to how their 'miraculous' turnaround came about. We're abominably wealthy, but, sadly, not the right kind of abominable wealth in which everything just seems to effortlessly work for you.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

Nothing like knowing you're being run by a sovereign wealth fund (and being ordained as the 'next big club' by the media) to suddenly boost morale and instil belief.

To me, there's no mystery as to how their 'miraculous' turnaround came about. We're abominably wealthy, but, sadly, not the right kind of abominable wealth in which everything just seems to effortlessly work for you.

Still ridiculously jealous on them sitting 5th in the table and seeing their team playing great football every week... 

10 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63159987

Premier League form table since Newcastle takeover - October 7 2021 to October 7 2022 

Premier League form table since Newcastle takeover - October 7 2021 to October 7 2022

Over the course of the last 38 to 39 games they've proven they are a top 8 club. Howe has proven a decent appointment for them which is disappointing!

What this table tells me is that it’s Manchester United fans who should be really pissed off about this. 

• Like 1

On Newcastle doing well but why I'm not getting carried away

They went on an amazing run last season, and that momentum has carried on a little this season, they remind me a little of West Ham when they did well the season before last and then they carried that momentum into the start of last season but then faded away and have in fact not been in great form for approaching a year now, and I think we might see something similar with Newcastle, not them losing form for a year, but going back to midtable form.

"They went on an amazing run last season, and that momentum has carried on a little this season"

I say 'a little this season' because their start hasn't actually been all that amazing, fourteen points from nine games, not bad but it's not much better than the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham, and Brighton and Man Utd just below them have games in hand, after nine games last season the whole of the top ten had fourteen points, a thing like this: if we win tomorrow we won't be far behind them in the current table.

Also I disagree with this idea that they've overtaken us as a club, it might be that they go on a spending spree signing loads of world class players and become a permanent champions league team or whatever, but for now they've just been in better form than us, that doesn't mean to say they've overtaken us or any number of other midtable teams, same as when West Ham had their good run I didn't think they had 'overtaken' us, or even Wolves when they had a couple of seasons finishing top seven, and by the same token I wary if we go on a good run it doesn't mean that we've suddenly overtaken other teams, as establishing yourself is done over multiple seasons.

"Also I disagree with this idea that they've overtaken us as a club"

For me I only consider a team to have overtaken us as a club, when they've got themselves into such a postion that it would take multiple seasons of improvement from us and for them to have a disastrous turnaround in fortunes for us to have any chance whatsoever of catching them, so as it stands just Man City, Liverpool. Arsenal. Chelsea, Tottenham, and Man Utd, it genuinely feels a long time before we can even dream of finishing above those, any other team it woudn't be a major surprise if we finished above them in the near future, including Newcastle.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

nor me. **** hate eating humble pie about this bloke

I dont think he is that great but obviously an improvement on a certain manager. One thing you can notice that the year he took off from Bournemouth he went and learned how to coach a defence 

Its not just Howe, look at VT and our social media and villa in general and our doom and gloom is back, we're a miserable club

Newcastle are on the other hand are not

Win tomorrow night and we're 3 points off them but gauging by the 2 fanbases and what surrounds them they're a revelation and we're a disaster, that mental element is huge, our feel good has long gone theirs is full steam ahead

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its not just Howe, look at VT and our social media and villa in general and our doom and gloom is back, we're a miserable club

Win tomorrow night and we're 3 points off them but gauging by the 2 fanbases and what surrounds them they're a revelation and we're a disaster, that mental element is huge, our feel good has long gone theirs is full steam ahead

I think it's because they know they're on an upwards trajectory. Yes, we may be 3 points off them tomorrow but there's so much uncertainty around us. It feels like we're stalling and just grinding results whereas they feel like they're flying forwards and it's inevitable they'll succeed. 

We gambled and blew it big time. They were sensible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The selective reading is staggering by some. There's still a lot to play for. Had we had better coaching, better finishing, we'd either be above them or closing the gap greatly. People just want to read into what confirms their biases.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

The selective reading is staggering by some. There's still a lot to play for. Had we had better coaching, better finishing, we'd either be above them or closing the gap greatly. People just want to read into what confirms their biases.

I find Villa fans disproportionately negative. Maybe its the dour brummie demeanour, but its a miserable fanbase at the best of times. No wonder we haven't had any success in an age. You could expand that to the whole of the Midlands region really, there must be something in the water around here! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

I find Villa fans disproportionately negative. Maybe its the dour brummie demeanour, but its a miserable fanbase at the best of times. No wonder we haven't had any success in an age. You could expand that to the whole of the Midlands region really, there must be something in the water around here! 

I find the negativity far beyond what you'd expect. It's honestly just too much at times.

I agree. I'll have a moan online when things aren't going well, but try to stay positive at the games, the negativity and moaning is one of the main reasons I haven't been to VP in a few years now, it's usually a miserable experience

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I agree. I'll have a moan online when things aren't going well, but try to stay positive at the games, the negativity and moaning is one of the main reasons I haven't been to VP in a few years now, it's usually a miserable experience

It was bouncing post-Bruce. That's exactly where Newcastle still are.

But instead of buying Wesley and Trezeguet, they are buying exclusively excellent players.

• Like 3

Â