Christian Benteke

Kwan

And so it begins...

'Villa say Benteke not for sale...'

then

'Villa place £40m price tag on Benteke to put off bidders...'

now

'Villa place a £25m price tag on Benteke...' (In the mirror today)

We're so obvious. We try to sound tough and stubborn about keeping him, then we put a silly price on him, just incase someone pays it, if not we keep him...until...nobody makes a bid, so we drop the price, encouraging people to bid for him.

Is £25m his value? Yes. Is £25m his value to us? No. Do we need to sell him? No.

I get bored of football. Whenever a team finds a gem that they can build around, the big 4/5 swarm in, flash the cash and take him. Leaving them stronger and the rest weaker...probably not playing him in the process.

I've already taken the choice not to renew this year (due to funding next house purchase/bored of spending £600 a year to watch crap every week/out of principle that te club hasn't adopted the Bayern Munich approach even though the PL now brings them about £20m more money) but I have been doubting myself every day...if we sell Benteke for less than £30m (not including player exchanges) then my choice will be totally validated...we will have learned nothing from losing Milner, which for me, was when everything started falling apart...

• Like 1

Which is why, if ou want to compete at the top of the table, you have to have mega millions , an owner with mega millions and willing to spend the cash. We never will until we have the mega millions.

I have long since forgot about top four . The current strategy of acquiring p and coming lung players to develop and take the club forward is decent and we have a brilliant manager, but it does rely on our best players being sold eventually when they start making names for themselves , to go to clubs already higher than us. Way of the world in football.

• Like 1

If selling him becomes inevitable this summer, then please avfc don't sell him on the cheap. Spurs want £80m for Bale, lets use that as a benchmark and make any club daft enough pay through the nose for him. I'm sure lambert can work wonders with a few extra quid.

If selling him becomes inevitable this summer, then please avfc don't sell him on the cheap. Spurs want £80m for Bale, lets use that as a benchmark and make any club daft enough pay through the nose for him. I'm sure lambert can work wonders with a few extra quid.

depends when he gets the few extra quid

And so it begins...

then

now

Are there any actual quotes from Lambert, Lerner or anybody to do with Villa to support those figures or is it just the Mirror making stuff up again?

I've already taken the choice not to renew this year (due to funding next house purchase/bored of spending £600 a year to watch crap every week/out of principle that te club hasn't adopted the Bayern Munich approach even though the PL now brings them about £20m more money) but I have been doubting myself every day...if we sell Benteke for less than £30m (not including player exchanges) then my choice will be totally validated...we will have learned nothing from losing Milner, which for me, was when everything started falling apart...

To be fair, we have only been playing crap week in/ week out for a while, because we've constantly been in the dreaded 'transitional' season. Houllier's year in charge, which included weeks where GMac and KMac were in charge, McLeish's year in charge and then Lambert's first year in charge. It's no surprise that we've been poor at times. The team, direction and football philosophy has changed so much each year that the players have had to keep on adapting, and the fans have to pretend that we can make head and tail of what we're doing.

For the first time in years, we now have a bit of stability. Lambert is building something, and we now have a chance to improve on the season before.

Also, don't believe everything you read in the paper. It wouldn't surprise me, at all, if we're simply waiting for the internationals and player holidays to get out of the way before we sit down with Benteke, next week, to discuss a new contract.

• Like 4

Also, don't believe everything you read in the paper. It wouldn't surprise me, at all, if we're simply waiting for the internationals and player holidays to get out of the way before we sit down with Benteke, next week, to discuss a new contract.

• Like 1

It always amazes me that people actually believe what is printed in the papers. Most of it is just lazy journalists writing BS

That's why I don't buy papers any more

Even the stuff reported on Sky etc I take with a large pinch of salt. Total pap most of it

Best place to get some info and a valid perspective is on this site or MOM site

• Like 3

Few options i can see with Benteke.

1: Aston Villa offer a 50k salary plus 1 year extension.(release clause inserted for 35-40 million) If you can have a great season and World Cup.. then next summer he will have offers from bigger clubs than Tottenham and Atletico and we may even get more than 30 million.

OR

2: We can leave him on his 15k salary and let him rot in the reserves for 3 more years if he refuses to play. Its not as expensive ( like Ireland salary). See what he chooses.  I dont think he will refuse to play in a World Cup year.

Aston Villa FC have the upper hand here. Benefits everyone if he signs a new extension and stays 1 more year. Hell add a Belhanda/Kiyotake style number 10 and another top quality CB... p5viding our current players and new players gel quickly and improve..  we may even challenge for a top 6-8 berth.

Selling him should not be an option this summer.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

And so it begins...

then

now

We're so obvious. We try to sound tough and stubborn about keeping him, then we put a silly price on him, just incase someone pays it, if not we keep him...until...nobody makes a bid, so we drop the price, encouraging people to bid for him.

Is £25m his value? Yes. Is £25m his value to us? No. Do we need to sell him? No.

I get bored of football. Whenever a team finds a gem that they can build around, the big 4/5 swarm in, flash the cash and take him. Leaving them stronger and the rest weaker...probably not playing him in the process.

I find this post ironic, you say that clubs haven't adopted the Bayern Munich approach of creating the own wealth organically, but then you get annoyed about clubs finding gems and having them taken away from them. But that is exactly what Munich do in Germany. Stealing all the gems from the other German clubs.

And so it begins...

then

now

I think the problem is more that people are hanging on newspapers' every word. Have Villa actually said anything at all? I haven't heard anything.

I've already taken the choice not to renew this year out of principle that the club hasn't adopted the Bayern Munich approach even though the PL now brings them about £20m more money.

The 'Bayern Munich Approach' involves buying up everybody from the other teams in the league, the best players in the league and throwing money at them in order to get them to sign.

Bayern Munich last year turned over €320m.

We turned over €98.6m.

#ReasonsWeArentBayernMunich.

Edited by HalfTimePost

I can't believe the amount of price tags that have been slapped on Benteke and it isn't even July. I think he's going to leave to be honest. I was confident before that he would stay but this is starting to feel more and more like our other high profile leavers.

ppl please stay calm dont get al freaked out for some shitty newspaper. there are no quotes so theyr just pissed because its to silent for them so they decide to  make up some stories anyway just to keep their buisness running.

• Like 1

Â