Christian Benteke

Kwan

I see what you're saying, but I suspect we only get one go at this - barring a miracle, I think we're talking about how much it costs to keep him happy in his last year here.

But it's not just about him. If we bow to the pressure, pay him what he wants, and then he leaves next summer, we've set the precedent that we WILL pay stupid money to players who have a good season. Wiemann hits 15-20 goals and he wants 100k. A couple of our mids have great season, they want 80k a pop and so on. It's bigger than Benteke tbh and unless we've got the resources to pay 3-4 players silly money down the line (which would then become 5-10 players, since everyone wants a cut of it, and we're back in MON-land), we can't pay it to Benteke

We don't have to give him anything. That's not what I'm arguing, just that his value on the open market would be a £100k a week wage - it seems we want the fee that goes with that but aren't prepared to accept that if we really wanted to keep him long term that's the wage we'd be looking at. I hope we don't offer him that sort of money this summer, for all the reasons you're stating, but we have to know that he and his agent will be very aware that he's very capable of earning it. It's going to get tricky and it's important we keep it all done the right way I think.

I see what you're saying, but I suspect we only get one go at this - barring a miracle, I think we're talking about how much it costs to keep him happy in his last year here.

But it's not just about him. If we bow to the pressure, pay him what he wants, and then he leaves next summer, we've set the precedent that we WILL pay stupid money to players who have a good season. Wiemann hits 15-20 goals and he wants 100k. A couple of our mids have great season, they want 80k a pop and so on. It's bigger than Benteke tbh and unless we've got the resources to pay 3-4 players silly money down the line (which would then become 5-10 players, since everyone wants a cut of it, and we're back in MON-land), we can't pay it to Benteke

Yep agreed with this...OBE you may be right about us having one crack of the whip but hopefully he is just the start of the good players coming back to our once prestigious club

I agree. Come on man, either 50k a week or he can bugger off somewhere else.

Absolutely not. Thats playing into the s agents hands. 50k a week or no wage increase and he stays regardless. Simple as that

Edited by P3te

I agree

50k should be the max if he doesn't sign he can see out the remainder of his contract at what he's currently earning

This means either 3 years at 15k a week or 4 years at 50k a week

I know what i'd choose... Any player with a shred of decency would want to repay the club that gave them a chance

**** the agent and his money grabbing attitude i know it's his job to get the best possible deal for his client, but holding the club which gave your player a chance when nobody else would to ransom is completely out of order

If other clubs want him they should put their money where their mouth is and pay the rediculous amount  of 40m + were supposedly demanding because

We have a billionaire chairman who does not need the money and does not need to sell!

Edited by AshVilla

I agree

50k should be the max if he doesn't sign he can see out the remainder of his contract at what he's currently earning

This means either 3 years at 15k a week or 4 years at 50k a week

I know what i'd choose... Any player with a shred of decency would want to repay the club that gave them a chance

**** the agent and his money grabbing attitude i know it's his job to get the best possible deal for his client, but holding the club which gave your player a chance when nobody else would to ransom is completely out of order

If other clubs want him they should put their money where their mouth is and pay the rediculous amount  of 40m + were supposedly demanding because

We have a billionaire chairman who does not need the money and does not need to sell!

Agree with everything but the last line.

How can't you agree with the last line? If this were a year ago and we were talking about the man who owns both a Premiership club AND an NFL franchise, that's one thing. But he just sold Cleveland Browns for upwards for $1 billion dollars within the last year. After that, he's lost the benefit of a doubt with me as far as finances are concerned. Especially with the cutting of the wage bill... you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

in addition, it does seem that its tekkers agent causing all this sh it to line his own pockets

hes seen that he can get more money by us selling him instead of tekkers sitting on his contract another couple of seasons

agents are the cancer of football

Don't think he should even be on parity with Gabby - our all time top PL goal scorer and loyal servant. Double the rumoured £20k to £40k.

However I put his valuation at something like £40m, but that's a reflection on his potential and our strong position (3 years left).

Probably been mentioned before, but what would happen to CB's world cup chances if Villa stuck to their guns and put him in the reserves if he refused to play or sign an improved contract?

If it's true that he's holding out for £110k p/w, then that's genuinely really p****d me off. It f*****g ridiculous that after one season he thinks he can ask for that stupid amount of money from us when he knows full well about our financial constraints and what we're trying to do.

I can't believe he would. 

As previous posters have mentioned we hold all the cards. If he won't take doubling his wages then he is an idiot. His agent has been dodgy ever since he started talking to the media through the season. He is not bigger than the club and we wont be held to ransom.

in addition, it does seem that its tekkers agent causing all this sh it to line his own pockets

hes seen that he can get more money by us selling him instead of tekkers sitting on his contract another couple of seasons

agents are the cancer of football

How do you know it's not the player?

For all we know Benteke could be doing everything in his power to instruct his agent to move him.

For all we know, the club could be doing everything in their power to find a buyer.

Agents are arseholes, no doubt, but don't underestimate everyone else.

Well if the Agent tries to drive us into a corner we merely have to mention to Benteke that the world cup is round the corner and he's got 3 years left on his contract

Were offering him a good wage rise and the chance at regular football building a side around him that will play to his strengths

Like someone said we hold all the cards

If he is not here next season i will be shocked it will be such a stupid move on his behalf if he tries to jump ship this early in his development

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 3

I don't think standing in his way would have much point in the long run. If someone was willing to throw stupid money at us then we'd be daft not to snatch their hands off.

I think he has enough about him though to see another 12mths here could really cement his reputation and value. And then of course there is the small distraction of the World Cup.

Ok so he is worth 40 million but his wages should not be more than 50K a week? I can see where many of you are coming from but it's not championship manager. It's a real person we're talking about so you can't just isolate him for wanting to leave and earn maybe double we can offer and win things.

If a decent offer comes in I can see a deal being done. Maybe 30 million or so. But I think for his World Cup chances he should give us another year.

We don't have to give him anything. That's not what I'm arguing, just that his value on the open market would be a £100k a week wage - it seems we want the fee that goes with that but aren't prepared to accept that if we really wanted to keep him long term that's the wage we'd be looking at. I hope we don't offer him that sort of money this summer, for all the reasons you're stating, but we have to know that he and his agent will be very aware that he's very capable of earning it. It's going to get tricky and it's important we keep it all done the right way I think.

Scott

But what is the "right way"?

Â