Christian Benteke

Kwan

pfft Defoe. overrated overpriced 30 year old plus a few quid for Benteke. Fark off Spurs. I hope we hold onto him but if we are after Belhanda for 10 million.. plus the new defenders we have to buy.. sounds like were preparing to use the money we will get for Benteke and agree fees before we sell him so we don't get ripped off.

everything since benteke's agent saying that he was disgusted at being misquoted when he joined up with the national team is pure speculation.... we have not had any direct quotes or quotes from his agent....

we have not, as far as i can see, had any clubs coming out and saying formally that they have bid for him....

we have not had any official statement from the club....

what you have in benteke is a top quality 22 year old striker who has just come off a great year in the premier league and topped it off with two goals for the national squad, who had a price a year ago that cost buttons, in a market where the top clubs are throwing round numbers in excess of gbp40m regularly for strikers....

young, proven talent at a struggling club that is cheap... coupled with many clubs looking to fill a striking void, it is hardly surprising that he is one of the most talked about names in football right now....

• Like 1

Benteke has spoken in the past about the influence of his father who is a straight down the line military man. Benteke himself said last week any decision he makes will be in consultation with his family.

It's possible that this may be our Ace in the hole. The sensible move would be to sit tight for another year or of respect for Villa and Lambert and to ensure he continues to develop by playing every match. If he's good enough the offers will come again next year.

I know people say he forced a move from Genk but in the end that was the best move for his career development. I'm hoping the people with influence over Christian will advise him that staying with Villa for another season is the best move for his career right now

If A. Madrid come in with a 25-30 million bid then sell him. Get him out of the premier league because it will piss me off every week watching him bang goals in for spurs arsenal or even worse liverpool. I do not think he would join liverpool tho he's more sense than that and I can't see arsenal putting a bid in for him Wenger is smart he knows he could be just a 1 season wonder like grant holt and I know we all see him as the next drogba but he might not be he old be rubbish next year. I'd love to keep him but if he goes then sell him abroad

Edited by Jimmytheirishvillain

Lazy journalist - should be shot.

Why on earth would Lambert's Villa (or Lerner's for that matter) take on a 30 year old striker as part of any potential deal between Spurs and us for Benteke? Not fitting the 'young and hungry cost cutting' ethos we now find ourselves in does it journo? Hmmmmm?

Defoe would have been a great signing 5 to 10 years ago. But now, a final pay day... We're better than that actually. So sod right off and shuffle your chins in another direction.

Why on earth would Lambert's Villa (or Lerner's for that matter) take on a 30 year old striker as part of any potential deal between Spurs and us for Benteke? Not fitting the 'young and hungry cost cutting' ethos we now find ourselves in does it journo? Hmmmmm?

Defoe would have been a great signing 5 to 10 years ago. But now, a final pay day... We're better than that actually. So sod right off and shuffle your chins in another direction.

Maybe not lazy, could have happened. But given that we are trying to offload Bent and the Milner deal fresh in Randy's mind you would hope he actual laughed when the offer was put to him.

Don't think I've been so mad in a long time - spurs really are cheeky bast*rds...

Why would we want defoe ? too old , not good enough, has no desire to play for villa - and would want around 70k a week ?  No thanks... We already have bent who is a better player...

If its defoe + £30 million then maybe, no wait - defoe + £35 million .... no less..

Benteke didn't cost us too much, and the salary is quite low if i'm correct - so lets keep him. Tell him he ISNT going , at least for another year.  He wont want to sit in the reserves for a year with the world cup coming up.

If we find great players, only to lose them the year later we will get nowhere, we need to make a stand on this.

£25million + then ok, but any less nooooo......

Still think 40m plus personally. If the opening salvo's are 25m then they will only go up over the next couple of months as clubs get more & more desperate. As for Atletico bidding "up to 25m" according to today's reports well considering they have just pocketed 55m for their player then frankly get stuffed!..that's less than half! They have already stated that Benteke would be the perfect replacement for Falcao so why is he worth less than half the fee?

• Like 1

Maybe not lazy, could have happened. But given that we are trying to offload Bent and the Milner deal fresh in Randy's mind you would hope he actual laughed when the offer was put to him.

Well, it's lazy journalism for me. Pretty sure somebody already mentioned a 'possible' swap between Spurs and us for Benteke involving Defoe a few days ago (pretty sure it was in this thread) and of course tongue in cheek. Smells like the Mirror Man has sniffed out our forum and made a quick story out of it.

Mirror Journalist - you stink, and you should be shot and cleavered.

I don't understand the "if we get 25m+ i'd sell him".... why?

Let's keep him for another year, let him play in the world cup, then sell him. We'll get loads more money for him then. He's got far too much talent to just be a one season wonder. Let's keep him for a year and appreciate another season of watching him play in claret and blue. I'd much rather see him play for another year than see the headline "Villa sell Benteke for 25m" ... whoopty doo....

Randy should be investing in the squad without the Benteke money. 

Edited by PieFacE

This "throw your rejects & a few quid & Villa will cave in" trend is by en large of the clubs own making. We have caved in too many times over the past few years & are now viewed as a soft touch by all & sundry. The only club who have paid us a decent, no quibbles fee in my opinion was Fergie at Man Utd for A Young who only had a year left on his contract.

Let's keep him for another year, let him play in the world cup, then sell him. We'll get loads more money for him then. He's got far too much talent to just be a one season wonder. Let's keep him for a year and appreciate another season of watching him play in claret and blue. I'd much rather see him play for another year than see the headline "Villa sell Benteke for 25m" ... whoopty doo....

Exactly

I wouldn't 'want' to sell him at all... I'd rather keep him for the term of his contract and refuse to sell at all.

I only meant that if we are 'forced' to sell , it needs to be for a decent figure.  For example if he tries to force a move, which of course we don't know that he is, then we all know realistically we cannot keep a player that refuses to play here.  In that situation all I was saying is that I would rather leave him in the reserves for the next 3 years rather than lose him for a small fee - so unless something upwards of £25mill comes in then keep him whatever the situation.  But others suggest £40 mill plus, which I couldn't disagree with.

I don't want us to sell him - quite the opposite.  And you're right, if we ended up with £25 million could we find someone as good as him ? not easily... but this is going to be our problem now - when we find these great young players for a bargain (relatively) , how are we going to keep hold of them ?

The only thing we can do is take a chance, sign them up on long contracts, and hold firm when the offers come in .  Remember he's not out of contract and we don't have to sell at all...

Has Glaston been on yet proclaiming what a wonderful deal this would be for us and how we should be grateful how we'd get a striker like Defoe in return:?!

I think it's garbage as when Benteke leaves it will be to a club in the champions league.

Don't think I've been so mad in a long time - spurs really are cheeky bast*rds...

Getting worked up over a story from one single trash-tabloid sports writer is unnecessary.

They

make

stuff

up.

The problem is having 25 mill to spend is all well and good but other clubs will know that and adjust whatever replacement players you have lined up fees accordingly

I'd rather be in our position and have a quality player than 30 mill in my back pocket having to find one

There will be very little value for money unless we find one for a couple of mill from outer mongolia

Thats football tho. We bump the price up because we know Athletico have 50m from Falcao. We will not be left short from a sale and therefore deserve the risk of other teams putting their player prices up for us.

Other teams can't ramp up their prices if we buy before we sell!  ;)

Â