Christian Benteke

Kwan

I would bet my house that Benteke will be here when the window closes. The fact it's even being discussed just shows how worried Villa fans have become, because of the last 4 years of losing our better players.

Since you seemingly are unable to grasp the point here it is in plain english.

There will be several Premiership games before the window shuts. If Benteke continues in those games to show the form of last season then interested parties who were originally concerned about him being a one season wonder will sit up and think again especially if their other targets have fallen through.

I hope that is plain enough unless you still want to try and point score.

No they won't.

How do you know they won't?

1) How do you know they will?

2) I'm pretty sure the fact the kid has signed a new contract with a year's extension and no buy-out clause guarantees nobody will be after Benteke for at least twelve months.  We are comfortably in the box seat with this player.  I'd recommend you enjoy the ride as opposed to fretting over things that won't happen.

Why does anyone care this much if he does leave? If he left after a month of a four year deal, the fee would be so large that we'd be able to sign 2 or three proven world class players of benteke's quality. So just calm down guys, I'll go and put the kettle on and wait for all this (worrying) to blow over.  :cheers:

I think getting him to sign a new contract has basically put the thing to bed for now.

I understand some concerns, but also agree that this boat has sailed.

Had he had any doubts about teams coming back in towards the end of the transfer window, he would not of signed for us.

He has now settled his mind he is playing for us and that message has been clearly sent out like a "lighthouse on a stormy night."

It would make a bit of a mockery for all concerned for anything to happen now.

Ps never known a player to be transferred after just signing a 4year contract.

or how some people are just being negative for no reason

Showing concern isn't being negative.

It's concern that you've pulled out of the arse end of nowhere. We set the deadline, the deadline came and went, Benteke signed a new contract. Nothing has changed in the meanwhile to alter the reason behind nor the terms of that deadline. Except the man himself committing for another year at least.

It's a completely pointless discussion and the only reason I can think for having it is boredom.

Surely there's something in his contract that says even if another club did come in for him now he wouldn't be able to go this upcoming season.

I wouldn't expect so. We wouldn't turn down the chance to even consider what could be a really high bid (£35m to £40m ???). As I've already posted, I'm not expecting any massive bids on the back of a few friendlies and 2 or 3 league games but I don't see the need for the club to restrict their options.

Surely there's something in his contract that says even if another club did come in for him now he wouldn't be able to go this upcoming season.

There is no need for a clause. He already can't go to another club this window (unless we want him to).

Oh dear, Morpheus! I understood your point; that I don't agree with it does not make it 'point scoring'.

There are just three league games before the window closes. CB could play well in all three, which will be a good start but no guarantee he will play well for the rest of the season and not enough time to dismiss the second season syndrome (your point). Of course, if he plays well against two or three of the good teams we face in August, we'll be entitled to be enthused about what is to come, but I doubt there will be any clubs who were unwilling to bid even £20m a couple of weeks ago for a player on a three year contract, suddenly matching our valuation of a player who is now on a four year contract and who has just banged in goals against three good teams. I'm not ruling out media stories such as "(insert 'big' club name) to test Villa's resolve with £25m bid for Benteke" but I don't believe the jump in bid(s) will be enough to accept. In summary:

No bids reaching £20m + (3 good games) does not equal bids of greater than £30m.

Or, without the figures and ultimately what matters -

The only team to value CB correctly this transfer window is Aston Villa.

With all due respect 'brommy' it was difficult to see your understanding of my point in any of your previous replies up until the above post and i see you've ignored my question in post 13501. No matter.

Yes three games into a season doesn't guarantee anything but if Benteke continues to knock them in particularly concerning the teams we are up against within that period it would certainly suggest would it not that he isn't going to be the one season wonder interested parties might fear.

You will also note that there are several possible transfers (Liverpool and Spurs) if they conclude would give those teams the funding to meet our valuation and with the previous rhetoric coming from the Benteke camp do you think it wouldn't turn either the head of Benteke's agent, or indeed Benteke himself?

I see you mention clubs were unwilling to bid 20m a couple of weeks ago. How do you know this when our club very rarely discloses such information? There could have been a bid or bids which just didn't meet our valuation?

Players extending contracts as it has been stated elsewhere on here doesn't necessarily mean that it is a stonewall guarantee that the player won't leave if the club and player receive an offer which is deemed exceptable and for the reasons stated above i still don't think Benteke's tenure at AVFC for another year is as secure as some might think.

or how some people are just being negative for no reason

Showing concern isn't being negative.

It's concern that you've pulled out of the arse end of nowhere. We set the deadline, the deadline came and went, Benteke signed a new contract. Nothing has changed in the meanwhile to alter the reason behind nor the terms of that deadline. Except the man himself committing for another year at least.

It's a completely pointless discussion and the only reason I can think for having it is boredom.

I'm looking at several possible transfers which might influence the security of Benteke staying here and it is not beyond the the realms of possibility than he might still move because of that. 

Players extending contracts as it has been stated elsewhere on here doesn't necessarily mean that it is a stonewall guarantee that the player won't leave if the club and player receive an offer which is deemed exceptable and for the reasons stated above i still don't think Benteke's tenure at AVFC for another year is as secure as some might think.

You state this as if it's a common occurrence. There has been one example of this that I have seen (If there are more please enlighten me) and that example was Thiago Silva who got sold in the same window as signing a contract to PSG for 42m Euros, or roughly £36m, an exceptional bid that is probably higher than the player is worth. There is no chance Benteke will leave unless Villa get ~£35-40m, and no club will pay that for a player if they weren't willing to play £25m for a month ago, unless he scores a hat-trick in all three opening games, which won't happen.

Morpheus,

Seriously mate, this is pretty far-fetched and quite ridiculous.

I strongly assume you weren't there against Crewe?

No chance he's leaving this window, the guy looked very happy to be out there playing for us and interacted with the fans in a manner that suggested to me that he's content for at least 12 more months.

Your viewpoint has gone beyond cynical and into la la land territory, and, even more frustratingly you're continuing to drag on a story that we thought we'd all put to bed for the better of us all a few weeks ago, please drop it. 

You're not going to convince Morpheus not to be worried so there's little point discussing it IMV.  He's worrying about something because it's possible by virtue of the window still being open, while ignoring the U-turn done by the player in this window to not only take back his transfer request but sign an extension to his contract.

I've little doubt he'll go in the next summer window but to worry about this one, after all that has happened, is just wasting energy.

• Like 1

You're not going to convince Morpheus not to be worried so there's little point discussing it IMV.  He's worrying about something because it's possible by virtue of the window still being open, while ignoring the U-turn done by the player in this window to not only take back his transfer request but sign an extension to his contract.

I've little doubt he'll go in the next summer window but to worry about this one, after all that has happened, is just wasting energy.

It's possible that I could be hit in the face by a scud missile launched into space accidentally during the first gulf war however, I'm not overly concerned about it, at least not to the extent that I need to share it often........

Morpheus, I whole heartedly disagree with your supposition. If you read carefully, your question was answered. Still, as you wrote, 'no matter' and it is a digressive side issue.

I care about Villa almost as much as life itself and I am capable of being concerned about Villa. I am aware of the dangers of driving and the measurable risk to my life that is present whilst I drive. Approximately 3000 people die on UK roads every year, mostly unexpected and many through no fault of their own. That doesn't mean I don't drive nor does it mean I waste any time concerned about dying behind the wheel. Sure, I buckle up and do my best to obey the highway code but fretting over my life will only shorten it.

Villa turned down an approach for our 3 year contracted, possible 'one season wonder' player. I note your suggestion that the deal could have been close and raise you to find any reports that suggest the deal was close. Let us guess at numbers; I'll be interested in your guesses:

1) Villa's valuation after one season with 3 years left on contract? £25m?

2) Highest bid received (if there was one)? £18m plus add-ons? Possibly £20m total?

3) Villa's current valuation with 4 years on a new contract? £28m?

4) Villa's valuation if CB scores a few during the in 3 league games in August, possibly highlighting new suitors? £32m?

To be concerned I need to look at the probabilities. I see the probability of 3) being met as very, very, very low. I'll throw a number in - 2% likely. At this time I see the probability of 4) being met as just as low (he hasn't scored the goals yet). IF he scores a few in the 3 games I'd raise the probability to 5%. I note your comment about Benteke having his 'head turned'. Well, he had his head turned last month but without a bid meeting Villa's valuation, he is still with us.

As much as I stated I care about Villa, I'm not going to raise my concern over probabilities of 2% and 5%. I suggest you to consider the all the possibilities carefully (including many things such as - an injury in August, Benteke not being on form in what will be 3 tough matches, a ban in the league game(s), Villa doing unexpectedly well in August and CB thinking - I'm on nearly £3m/year and this could be the start of something big at Villa.)

Either you are more neurotic than I am or you believe the probabilities are much higher (which may lead to the same diagnosis!). I'm not ruling out the possibility of his move next month, just ruling out the need for concern.

Â