Christian Benteke

Kwan

It's like some aren't content with being content. Instead of thinking "we've got him for another season, he'll probably be off next summer so might as well just enjoy this seaosn with him" they think "There must be a chance of him leaving before then. I must have something to worry about!".

Edited by Mantis

Given that Villa's original deadline was 'the first week of August', hopefully those still worried even now will relax a little more in a week's time.

Given that Villa's original deadline was 'the first week of August', hopefully those still worried even now will relax a little more in a week's time.

But what if a club bids £40m?* We wouldn't turn that down at any time before September.**

;)

* ain't going to happen.

** possibly true but irrelevant without the bid.

Morpheus, I whole heartedly disagree with your supposition. If you read carefully, your question was answered. Still, as you wrote, 'no matter' and it is a digressive side issue.

I care about Villa almost as much as life itself and I am capable of being concerned about Villa. I am aware of the dangers of driving and the measurable risk to my life that is present whilst I drive. Approximately 3000 people die on UK roads every year, mostly unexpected and many through no fault of their own. That doesn't mean I don't drive nor does it mean I waste any time concerned about dying behind the wheel. Sure, I buckle up and do my best to obey the highway code but fretting over my life will only shorten it.

Villa turned down an approach for our 3 year contracted, possible 'one season wonder' player. I note your suggestion that the deal could have been close and raise you to find any reports that suggest the deal was close. Let us guess at numbers; I'll be interested in your guesses:

1) Villa's valuation after one season with 3 years left on contract? £25m?

2) Highest bid received (if there was one)? £18m plus add-ons? Possibly £20m total?

3) Villa's current valuation with 4 years on a new contract? £28m?

4) Villa's valuation if CB scores a few during the in 3 league games in August, possibly highlighting new suitors? £32m?

To be concerned I need to look at the probabilities. I see the probability of 3) being met as very, very, very low. I'll throw a number in - 2% likely. At this time I see the probability of 4) being met as just as low (he hasn't scored the goals yet). IF he scores a few in the 3 games I'd raise the probability to 5%. I note your comment about Benteke having his 'head turned'. Well, he had his head turned last month but without a bid meeting Villa's valuation, he is still with us.

As much as I stated I care about Villa, I'm not going to raise my concern over probabilities of 2% and 5%. I suggest you to consider the all the possibilities carefully (including many things such as - an injury in August, Benteke not being on form in what will be 3 tough matches, a ban in the league game(s), Villa doing unexpectedly well in August and CB thinking - I'm on nearly £3m/year and this could be the start of something big at Villa.)

Either you are more neurotic than I am or you believe the probabilities are much higher (which may lead to the same diagnosis!). I'm not ruling out the possibility of his move next month, just ruling out the need for concern.

I did read your previous posts and no my question wasn't answered.

I also see you're at it again with my apparent suggestion that a deal was close. Please point out where i've said that? I said there could have been bids which didn't meet our valuation. Two vastly different senarios and one as far apart as the other. 

I actually find it interesting that you would quote personal percentages in deciding the actual probability of Benteke leaving. I'm not doing that because no-one can actually see into the future. What i am sugesting however that if Bale and Suarez leave there could at least be the possibility of those teams looking at Benteke if his form is repeated at the start of this season even though he has extended his contract with us.

It is a possibility however small you or anyone else might think.

Edited by Morpheus

Benteke will be here after the deadlines over, but there is a small chance he could still leave.

The worlds best defender in Thiago Silva signed a new contract at Milan and then left about 5 days later, and he's the worlds best defender at one of the top clubs in the world.. never say never!

That being said, I don't think there is a big enough demand for Benteke for that to happen.  If he goes on and beats last seasons goals tally, then we'll be in the driving seat for more dosh and we'll probably more likely to be in a position to pull in better talents to replace him with.

I can't understand why everybody is giving Morpheus such a hard time. Could Benteke be sold before the 2nd September 2013 transfer deadline? Football is football so it would be foolish to rule this out completely.

I repeat my earlier comment, Aston Villa hold the keys to Benteke's future & any transfer dealings will be conducted on our terms of business. Period.

The fact that Benteke has signed a new contract has only served to strengthen our bargaining power further.

Do I think Benteke will still be here for at least another 12 months................99% yes.

Could he be gone if Villa receive a bid of £35 -40M before then? Why not?

The bottom line is this - Nothing & I mean nothing should surprise anybody in football unless you are just totally naive?

You asked, here's your answer

There could have been a bid or bids which just didn't meet our valuation.

Your suggested scenarios have been noted. Now I'm going to leave you to enjoy concern over the slightest of possibilities. Have fun!

Your suggested scenarios have been noted. Now I'm going to leave you to enjoy concern over the slightest of possibilities. Have fun!

Exactly so please tell me how that suggests a deal was close?

Exactly so please tell me how that suggests a deal was close?

Your words 'just didn't meet'. In any case, ones interpretation of the word 'just' is a distraction from the main point of whether it is reasonable to be concerned over such a small possibility and an understanding that being excessively concerned can be viewed as a negative trait.

Clubs had their chance we encouraged bids in a timeframe we thought was acceptable, now if clubs want to buy him his price has just gone up because he's signed a new contract and he's gone past our timeframe therefore selling him now would really damage our start of the season. Therefore he's gone from a £25 million player to a £35 million in a few days, if a club really did want to spend that money, they would have stepped up a few weeks ago.

• Like 1

Clubs had their chance we encouraged bids in a timeframe we thought was acceptable, now if clubs want to buy him his price has just gone up because he's signed a new contract and he's gone past our timeframe therefore selling him now would really damage our start of the season. Therefore he's gone from a £25 million player to a £35 million in a few days, if a club really did want to spend that money, they would have stepped up a few weeks ago.

And maybe those clubs just didn't have the money hence mentioning Suarez and Bale.

Re-brommy.

So thats your considered answered then , 'your words didn't meet.'  :crylaugh:

I see you're also looking back into that crystal ball and have decided i'm being excessively concerned. I'd like to see where that excessive concern is unless my words didn't meet again.  :)

I think you read his response wrong Morpheus. He's quoting you saying 'just didn't meet'.  He's not saying that your words didn't meet. 

And maybe those clubs just didn't have the money hence mentioning Suarez and Bale.

Benteke would know what was happening, we all know his agent was talking to suitors. He would have been told to hang tight.

I think you read his response wrong Morpheus. He's quoting you saying 'just didn't meet'.  He's not saying that your words didn't meet.

^

Also Morpheus, you stated yourself that you were concerned. After examining the probabilities, it doesn't take a crystal ball to conclude your concern is unnecessary and excessive.

Benteke will be here after the deadlines over, but there is a small chance he could still leave.

The worlds best defender in Thiago Silva signed a new contract at Milan and then left about 5 days later, and he's the worlds best defender at one of the top clubs in the world.. never say never!

That being said, I don't think there is a big enough demand for Benteke for that to happen.  If he goes on and beats last seasons goals tally, then we'll be in the driving seat for more dosh and we'll probably more likely to be in a position to pull in better talents to replace him with.

Thiago silva isn't the world best defender Vincent Kompany is the best :D

Â