Christian Benteke

Kwan

100k a week to a player with one good season under his belt, no wonder the game has gone barmy. I'd offer 50k and if he proves himself again next year then talk about 100k or there abouts.

so by that logic, asking for 25m for a player with one good season under his belt is also barmy. correct ?

No, it's 25m for a 22 year old who was outscored only by messi and ronaldo in 2013. That's not barmy

It is barmy, it's ridiculously low :)

• Like 1

100k a week to a player with one good season under his belt, no wonder the game has gone barmy. I'd offer 50k and if he proves himself again next year then talk about 100k or there abouts.

so by that logic, asking for 25m for a player with one good season under his belt is also barmy. correct ?

No, it's 25m for a 22 year old who was outscored only by messi and ronaldo in 2013. That's not barmy

Andy Carroll, Andy Carroll, Andy Carroll.

That's what I say to anyone who values him under £25m.  Therefore that's a bargain if you ask me. 

• Like 1

Cant figure out whether im on villa talk forum or in the hairdressers with my wife listening to all the bitch talk and gossip

Villatalk has always been like this, it's nothing new. It was worse the season Mcleish was in charge.

• Like 1

The hysteria here is mildly amusing. It sounds like people are ready to firebomb his house just because he handed in a transfer request. If this is how angry you get when a player asks to leave through the official channels and makes no further comment about it and no public disrespect against the club, how on earth has Stuart Downing survived this long?

The posts slating the owner and club for selling him are particularly good. Does Lerner also get credit for all the good stuff that hasn't happened yet, or is it limited to criticising him based on things he's not yet done?

I'd be surprised if Benteke left this window, and I'd also be surprised if he got an improved contract at Villa. I think he'll play another season here, get booed for a month or two until he scores a couple of vital goals and grudgingly wins back the respect of the fans, have another brilliant season and leave for £30m+ after the next World Cup to a team that is better than Spurs (I reckon it'll be Arsenal).

So it'll be pretty much exactly like it would have been if he hadn't handed in the transfer request, except he'll get booed a bit more and will have to wait another year for his pay rise. (I'm feeling optimistic because the sun is shining!)

• Like 3

Cant figure out whether im on villa talk forum or in the hairdressers with my wife listening to all the bitch talk and gossip

The clue will be when somebody inquires of you, " Something for the weekend sir? ;) "

If you happen to be John Gregory you will respond as follows:

"Have you got a shot gun please" ;)

• Like 1

The hysteria here is mildly amusing. It sounds like people are ready to firebomb his house just because he handed in a transfer request. If this is how angry you get when a player asks to leave through the official channels and makes no further comment about it and no public disrespect against the club, how on earth has Stuart Downing survived this long?

The posts slating the owner and club for selling him are particularly good. Does Lerner also get credit for all the good stuff that hasn't happened yet, or is it limited to criticising him based on things he's not yet done?

I'd be surprised if Benteke left this window, and I'd also be surprised if he got an improved contract at Villa. I think he'll play another season here, get booed for a month or two until he scores a couple of vital goals and grudgingly wins back the respect of the fans, have another brilliant season and leave for £30m+ after the next World Cup to a team that is better than Spurs (I reckon it'll be Arsenal).

So it'll be pretty much exactly like it would have been if he hadn't handed in the transfer request, except he'll get booed a bit more and will have to wait another year for his pay rise. (I'm feeling optimistic because the sun is shining!)

Agree, but we all know that when the sun is shinning there is a chance we could have thunder storms.

I don't think this will go through. Spurs can't afford our asking price. Chelsea could but have said they are only interested in Rooney this season.  

I have lost all respect for him but I would be happy for him to stay for another season and bag at least 15 goals which he is more than capable of.

Don't think we should build the team and tactics around him though if he does stay.

Christian Benteke is just looking out for his own interests, understandably. It's just the same thing Villa are doing. If a player does extremely well for a club like us it's understandable that he will want to leave. I get the frustration from people but I don't blame the player.

Why wouldn't he want to play for a team that has a chance of doing better than us? Clubs don't show loyalty to players who are not good enough for them so why should players show loyalty to clubs that they are, arguably, too good for?

Cesc Fabregas wanted to leave Arsenal, Van Persie wanted to leave Arsenal, Ronaldo wanted to leave United. It's just the nature of football and people. People always want bigger and better things.

• Like 1

Christian Benteke is just looking out for his own interests, understandably. It's just the same thing Villa are doing. If a player does extremely well for a club like us it's understandable that he will want to leave. I get the frustration from people but I don't blame the player.

Why wouldn't he want to play for a team that has a chance of doing better than us? Clubs don't show loyalty to players who are not good enough for them so why should players show loyalty to clubs that they are, arguably, too good for?

Cesc Fabregas wanted to leave Arsenal, Van Persie wanted to leave Arsenal, Ronaldo wanted to leave United. It's just the nature of football and people. People always want bigger and better things.

Yeah i think everyone agrees with the above, but i think most people's gripe is the fact he's doing this after 1 season of a 4 season contract. He's been treated brilliantly by all connected with our club and could have been a bit more respectful in dealing with this whole situation.

Yeah i think everyone agrees with the above, but i think most people's gripe is the fact he's doing this after 1 season of a 4 season contract. He's been treated brilliantly by all connected with our club and could have been a bit more respectful in dealing with this whole situation.

By not handing in a transfer request and making it more difficult to get the price we want for him due to him being eligible for a "loyalty fee" of anywhere between 10-15% of the transfer fee?

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey 29m

think Benteke will b a Spurs player in due course but you know these transfers\sagas always take time!! Been no bid yet

I'm with Nursey on this. Can't see him staying.

I just hope we're firm with the deadline. If they pay up, fair enough - if not they can do one. Sometimes you have to accept if a player wants to go but we can't be pushed around. Easiest way to do it is to say that the price goes up by £250k per day after the 1st August.

Ok how about 50k basic with an extra 1-2k per week per goal that rolls over each week, he could end up on 96k a week if he scores 23 goals. We can then sell for 35m plus next year after he's been to the world cup, win win

Except he wants to leave

The reasons for him wanting to leave are not known, its my guess he wants more money. A 25m+ player on 20k a week is not going to be happy. If Benteke leaves and his replacements scores 23 goals next season and is only on 20k a week then he will want to leave as well, or play his only card of a transfer request.

If we want our club to become a success then common sense has to be a factor, performance related is the way forward IMO.

It is to a degree yes. But he is an asset we do not want to sell so have potentially priced him out of a move. We could have just said he is not for sale at any price but then the player and his agent may cry foul.

By not handing in a transfer request and making it more difficult to get the price we want for him due to him being eligible for a "loyalty fee" of anywhere between 10-15% of the transfer fee?

No, by accepting a payrise and playing at the club that gave him his chance for at least another year. A bit of loyalty to the guy thats put faith in him. Thats what i was getting at.

Â