Christian Benteke

Kwan

I said this weeks ago. You can't on one hand claim to value a player at say 25m and then only offer them 40k a week

You can if he's got 3 years on a £20k pw contract. And if he doesn't like it he's perfectly entitled to hand in a transfer request

when he signed that contract Villa valued him at the 7m they paid for him. things change

You're completely missing out that Villa don't HAVE to pay the guy anything other than what's in his contract. It's as if us "only" offering to double his money means we're capped at the fee we can ask for, that's not the case. We can ask for whatever we like, and we can stick to it, and he can't actually go anywhere until we agree terms with another club. It's the same situation when we're trying to sign players, there's nothing special about this circumstance. The wages offered to the guy in an improved contract have no bearing on how much money we can ask for him. He's a £25m+ player, we just can't afford one of those in terms of wages. That doesn't mean we sell him for half that

I'm beginning to think Belgian Guy has been tapped up and wants to hand in a transfer request to support a better team.

seriously? wow...

Be honest.... :P

don't u think its a alot of effort to come here on a english forum as a foreign language speeker to support tis club? you can't expect me to stop caring about christian. if i wouldnt support aston villa i would already be off trust me ;)

It's the way he's gone about it. If he didn't like whatever we offered him in the improved contract, he didn't have to throw his toys out the pram. 

SHAME ON YOU CHRISTIAN BENTEKE. HE HAS TAKEN THIS CLUB FOR A RIDE AND I DON'T LIKE IT.  :angry: 

SHAME ON YOU.

As has been said earlier, he hasn't thrown his toys at all. He has put in a transfer request which is his right. And he has said no more about it.

It would probably be easier to wail on him if he had thrown his toys, but as of now he is doing exactly what a player that wants a move should do. Now let's see if he gets it.

I know the money in football is mad nowadays, but I can't help laugh when someone says a paltry £20k a week. I'd be content with that a year.

in terms of the modern football  20k/week is a joke for a player like Benteke

Well last season it was a massive pay rise for him, such that he was happy to sign a 4 year contract.

I know you feel protective over him, but realistically putting in a transfer request isn't the action of a guy who wants to negotiate a better deal with Aston Villa. Benteke has had his head turned by his pals and the bright lights of London, that's fine but that doesn't mean Aston Villa should just let him go for the first derisory offer that is made (particularly as no offer seems to have been made as yet).

Benteke and his agent are clearly buffoons, they have shot their bolt far to early on this one, i hope this is not indicative of people from your country (in both shooting of bolts and intelligence levels).

that would be an ridiculous hypothese like there are no english players who are tick and who wants to move..

If we had Messi with three years remaining on his contract, at 20k A WEEK (still making him a millionaire), then we wouldn't have to sell him stupidly cheap just because we were paying low wages. THAT IS THE CONTRACT HE SIGNED. THAT WAS HIS RESPONSIBILITY AND HE MUST TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. As he is not then I feel Benteke is behaving shamefully, especially if he is being all coy about coming back to the club. He has shown himself up as having no class, which we should have realised after Genk, of course, but it's easy to say that now. 

I'm beginning to think Belgian Guy has been tapped up and wants to hand in a transfer request to support a better team.

He had agreed to a new deal twice but his agent has clearly got in his ear ;)

You're completely missing out that Villa don't HAVE to pay the guy anything other than what's in his contract. It's as if us "only" offering to double his money means we're capped at the fee we can ask for, that's not the case. We can ask for whatever we like, and we can stick to it, and he can't actually go anywhere until we agree terms with another club. It's the same situation when we're trying to sign players, there's nothing special about this circumstance. The wages offered to the guy in an improved contract have no bearing on how much money we can ask for him. He's a £25m+ player, we just can't afford one of those in terms of wages. That doesn't mean we sell him for half that

Thank you! What is it people don't get about this?

seriously? wow...

Be honest.... :P

don't u think its a alot of effort to come here on a english forum as a foreign language speeker to support tis club? you can't expect me to stop caring about christian. if i wouldnt support aston villa i would already be off trust me ;)

We will see if you stick around WHEN Benteke leaves the club.... ;)

Aston Villa will demand a whopping 25 per cent of any sell-on fee from Tottenham if they do not match their £26 million valuation of star striker Christian Benteke.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/17/tottenham-transfer-news-aston-villa-ask-for-big-sell-on-fee-in-christian-benteke-deal-3886539/

That article also says that Villa have just returned from Austria so I wouldnt read too much into it.

Bentakey got offered a new deal like all the other players that played well last season. I wouldnt dream of giving a player with his mentality 100k a week. He has had 1 good season and there is no guarantee that he will have as good a season as last year again and until he does it consistantly for a few years at least then he isnt worth 100k.

Hes a billy big bollox with no loyalty and no respect for the managers he has played for and especially Lambert who put so much faith in him and gave him his big break and kept giving him 90 minutes every week even when he was playing shit.

• Like 1

I know the money in football is mad nowadays, but I can't help laugh when someone says a paltry £20k a week. I'd be content with that a year.

in terms of the modern football  20k/week is a joke for a player like Benteke

Well last season it was a massive pay rise for him, such that he was happy to sign a 4 year contract.

I know you feel protective over him, but realistically putting in a transfer request isn't the action of a guy who wants to negotiate a better deal with Aston Villa. Benteke has had his head turned by his pals and the bright lights of London, that's fine but that doesn't mean Aston Villa should just let him go for the first derisory offer that is made (particularly as no offer seems to have been made as yet).

Benteke and his agent are clearly buffoons, they have shot their bolt far to early on this one, i hope this is not indicative of people from your country (in both shooting of bolts and intelligence levels).

that would be an ridiculous hypothese like there are no english players who are tick and who wants to move..

On the whole footballers are widely portrayed as being thick, that's why they employ agents for advice in difficult circumstances such as contract disputes and transfer negotiations. In this case I don't think his agent has acted in his best interests and the transfer request was not at that point necessary. Apart from striking, what options are left to Benteke to enhance his chances of a move ? Whatever he does now (assuming he wants to sulk and force the move) will serve only to lower his reputation, and possibly turn off other suitors.

Edited by dukes

He had agreed to a new deal twice but his agent has clearly got in his ear ;)

It's OK, I don't think it's going through. The better team have made false promises and they can't actually afford him so he's staying here. :D

• Like 1

If you factor in 20k pw the annual salary is around 1 mill, making the cost of Benteke's 3 year contract 3 mill altogether. That's the cost for Villa, and no-one else.

If Spurs had to pay him 60k pw, the annual cost would be around 3 mill, which is 9 mill in 3 years.

That's a 6 mill difference, which is pretty close to the difference between Villa and Spurs being thrown around (25 and 18 mill). Is this a coincidence?

If you factor in 20k pw the annual salary is around 1 mill, making the cost of Benteke's 3 year contract 3 mill altogether. That's the cost for Villa, and no-one else.

If Spurs had to pay him 60k pw, the annual cost would be around 3 mill, which is 9 mill in 3 years.

That's a 6 mill difference, which is pretty close to the difference between Villa and Spurs being thrown around (25 and 18 mill). Is this a coincidence?

Yes.

Look this is all part of the game.

Good guy, bad guy none of it matters only whether we as a club get better next year.

Yes it would be nice if he stayed for another year and I think a lot of players would but he wants to go for the big bucks while there on offer. A lot of players would jump at that too.

Can't take these things personally - all that matters is the price we get for him and what we do with that money.

So, in essence, they want us to pay his salary?

I think one of the most telling things highlighted by Benteke's dispute is his paltry £20,000 per week wages. As Belgian Guy's dad points out if the rumours are correct that our Club value him at £25M then surely he should have pro rata wages as a reflection of this.

I personally value Benteke at £35M minimum, thus £100k should be his minimum wage.

It is a difficult conundrum to solve, especially given the amount of wasters & piss takers that we have had sponging off our club in recent years **. The sooner we get rid of these type of parasites the better. Had we already have successfully addressed this problem then we might have been in a better position to offer Benteke the type of contract he undoubtedly deserves & one that he wouldn't just dismiss out of hand..

With the obscene amount of cash currently swamping the Premier League £100K pw is not really that unviable a proposition for a player of Benteke's ability but given our current financial dispensation & necessary prudent transfer policy £65 - £70K is probably our highest possible option at the moment.

What do other posters genuinely believe Benteke should be on minimum ( bitterness aside if possible.)

As stated I believe that it should be £100k pw minimum.

This current wage disparity also strongly suggests to me that `Tekkers` will be gone soon as even tripling his wages to £60K may not be enough plus added to that a new & better deal might bring disharmony into a squad with other players seriously considering themselves to be under valued.

NB ** I do not class Darren Bent in the piss taker bracket & have every sympathy for him in his current predicament.

So where does it end?He scores 20-25 goals again then we give him a new contract at 150? Come off it, given the overall circumstances 60-70k should be enough.

you can say 60k/70k is enough but that kind of money is never offered max 40k/week lolz

Careful belgian guy ;)

It's almost looking like you've believed the english press and their reports of Benteke's wages being doubled to £40k p/w

We don't know how much Benteke was offered, as part of a new contract.

Â